Tyre Pressures (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ok, I know this is a bit of a funny subject but I'll ask anyway. When I bought my Elegance a couple of months ago the chap I bought it off said that he was running all the tyres at 85psi. At the time I thought it was a bit high but didn't question him because I've not had one before and didn't know any different. After a fed trips around I'm feeling that they are a tad hard. There's a fair bit of "crashing" over bumps / potholes etc....
My mate has an Autotrail Chieftain and runs 75 in the front and 65 in the four rears. He reckons his is a lot softer and nicer to drive.
So, what are people running their tag axles at? I'm guessing Argos and Elegance models would be comparable?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There are many threads on this subject. In essence to obtain the correct tyre pressures for your motorhome, take it to a public weighbridge, fully loaded and establish weight on each set of axles. Then go to tyre manufacturer and provide tyre detail and axle weights. You will be given the correct tyre pressures.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above except many manufacturers won't give any useful advice. The exception seems to Continental alone.
This site is a good starting point but I would enter the measured axle weights, not the plated maximums: https://www.tyresafe.org/check-your-pressures/motorhomes/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
As above again, if you choose Continental tyres you get the brilliant technical data guide that covers all sizes, weights, including tag or single rear axle If you choose Michelin they will give the standard answer of 80 rear 65 front. Either way, getting weighed is the only way to work out what is right for your individual Motorhome.
Some do have the view that they should be set at maximum, though I don't agree with this.
Don't know about other makes of tyre.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Michelin’s recommended pressures for mine were:

Front 54psi

Rears 72psi

Ian

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Is there a database of where weighbridges are, what they can weigh ( i.e. Single axles or only total weight), what they charge? If not could we each take our local county and list them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back