Tyre pressures (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I am just checking my tyre pressures on my 2011 Autosleeper Broadway and the door plate says 72/ 79 front/ back.
My tyres are Continental and saying max 69.
What should I do??

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
With a normal load, take the van to a weighbridge and send the weights to the tyre manufacturer and ask them for the correct pressures

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
We normally get each axle weighed individually & then phone vanco continental tyres & they will tell you correct pressures for front & rear. The vehicle manufacturers normally put too much pressure in when they leave the factory.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I am just checking my tyre pressures on my 2011 Autosleeper Broadway and the door plate says 72/ 79 front/ back.
My tyres are Continental and saying max 69.
What should I do??
Go with whats on the door plate. I had the same concerns. My door plate and Fiat handbook says 5 Bar front and 5.5 Bar rear. which is 72 psi and 79 psi. I had Continental Vanco camper tires which came with the van from new. I recently changed them for Michelin. I weighed the axles seperatly and contacted Michelin. They told me to keep to the pressures recommended by Fiat. They said I could reduce the front to 4.5 Bar if I wanted a softer ride. I tried 4.5 Bar but didn't like the feel of the steering. It felt woolly and harder to turn which was obviously putting more strain on the steering joints, so I put them back to 5 Bar on the front which I feel more comfortable with. When my van is loaded it feels right.
The Continental tires are very good tires. I pondered over running with them again or going for the Michelin. What swung me to the Michelin was the Michelin are rated M&S which is required when visiting Germany and some French towns in the Alps in winter conditions and I had a trip planned to Cologne last January. Also my Continental's needed replacing on the front after twenty five thousand miles so I thought I would also see if I get any more mileage out of the Michelin's. In normal or wet conditions I think the Continentals have the edge.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Most motorhomes are built very close to the maximum weight of the base vehicle and many of us probably use most of whats left when we load up. Hence the need for higher pressures and more expensive tyres. The motorhome tyres I have looked at generally have maximum pressures around the 80psi/5.5bar level, van and car tyres tend to have lower ratings because they don't run at near maximum loads all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Aly1
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone. I have been running on 72/ 79 and it was only today when I noticed it said max 69 on the tyre. I was just worried in case they exploded!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have a Kontiki 625 and got it weighed fully loaded - full fuel, full water tanks, 2 bikes, 2 adults, a large retriever, external awning, full gas bottles (2x13Kg), full fridge cupboards, E&P Hydraukic levelling, full garage etc.

Rear axle came in at 2150kg and front axle at 1875Kg.

Michelin advised 58psi for front tyres and 80psi for rear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back