Tyre pressures - comfort v mpg? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
In preparation for our trip away to France and Spain on Friday I have weighed our Adria Coral when fully loaded and ready to go and with both of us in it. We are well within the maximum - 3360kg v 3500kg max. And both of the axles are well under their maximums too. So good news - we will be able to bring plenty of wine back.

I phoned our tyre manufacturer (Continental) and got their recommended tyre pressures for the axle weights we have, and they are well below what we have at present, as recommended by Adria. We have 6 bar throughout and Continental say 3.5 bar on the front and 4.75 bar on the rear, which they have confirmed in an email.

I hope by changing to these I will get a better ride quality, which has always seemed hard and rattley to us. From other peoples' experiences is that likely and will it have an adverse effect on my mpg?

Thanks for your help yet again.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We too had high tyre pressures and found the ride very harsh. With the advice of a local tyre fitter at ATS I gradually reduced the pressures and have found a happy medium , much better ride and reasonable fuel economy.

Rgds
Bill

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If it was only fuel economy and comfort is important then I'd say yes run under. nice and comfy, it's only money, especially if you only do the average 6k a year.

I do about 15k a year and like most motorhomes at the all up weight. I prefer to run at the recommended pressures, ensuring optimum road holding and braking. For comfort I sit on a nice memory foam cushion purchased from the fuel savings:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would go with the Conti recommendation. I realise my van has a different set-up to yours (RWD Sprinter chassis - single rear tyres, not twin) but the Hymer (and Merc) recommended pressures for 225 70 R15 tyres are 3.5 bar front, 4.5 bar rear. I have Conti Vanco tyres and it runs well on them. Those pressures are for a MAM of 3,800 kg with a max rear axle load of 2,240 kg.

6 bar seems very high anyway and at that pressure, I hope it was fitted with high pressure valves. The standard Schrader car-type valve is rated for a maximum inflation pressure of 4.5 bar.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I would go with the Conti recommendation. I realise my van has a different set-up to yours (RWD Sprinter chassis - single rear tyres, not twin) but the Hymer (and Merc) recommended pressures for 225 70 R15 tyres are 3.5 bar front, 4.5 bar rear. I have Conti Vanco tyres and it runs well on them. Those pressures are for a MAM of 3,800 kg with a max rear axle load of 2,240 kg.

6 bar seems very high anyway and at that pressure, I hope it was fitted with high pressure valves. The standard Schrader car-type valve is rated for a maximum inflation pressure of 4.5 bar.
I too have merc sprinter and that's what I run.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a good one, I have always come on here and gone for lower pressures when this argument has come up before, but been round wales for a day or two so decided to put more in , don't understand bars but put 70 lb in front and 75 in back as opposed to recommended 79 all round , usually only have 60/65 in , couldn't find much difference comfort wise but haven't filled up yet but it's looking like an extra 5 mpg, and that's round the hills.::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is a good one, I have always come on here and gone for lower pressures when this argument has come up before, but been round wales for a day or two so decided to put more in , don't understand bars but put 70 lb in front and 75 in back as opposed to recommended 79 all round , usually only have 60/65 in , couldn't find much difference comfort wise but haven't filled up yet but it's looking like an extra 5 mpg, and that's round the hills.::bigsmile:

A ball park figure, but Michelin suggest that 10% under-inflation can add 6% to your fuel bill as well as reducing tyre life, handling, holding and braking. 6% of my fuels bill plus tyres is a considerable saving for me.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If I prefer to run at the recommended pressures, ensuring optimum road holding and braking.

But the question is recommended by whom?

Adria, who have just copied Fiat's figure, which is based upon the maximum axle loadings possible with the chassis (and which I am way under). Or the tyre makes who have given a recommendation based upon their tyres and the axle loading I actually have. I suspect the latter will be closer to "correct", whatever that may mean.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
[HI]But the question is recommended by whom? [/HI]

Adria, who have just copied Fiat's figure, which is based upon the maximum axle loadings possible with the chassis (and which I am way under). Or the tyre makes who have given a recommendation based upon their tyres and the axle loading I actually have. I suspect the latter will be closer to "correct", whatever that may mean.

The tyre manufacturer. The only way to know the correct pressure, is to load up and go to a weighbridge. Tell them you want both axles weighed, give these weights to the tyre manufacturer and they will give you the precise pressure to run on. I know it seems a pain to do, but it's only once and its good to know what you weigh anyway:thumb:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The tyre manufacturer. The only way to know the correct pressure, is to load up and go to a weighbridge. Tell them you want both axles weighed, give these weights to the tyre manufacturer and they will give you the precise pressure to run on. I know it seems a pain to do, but it's only once and its good to know what you weigh anyway:thumb:
In that case we are in total agreement! :thumb::thumb: As I said in my OP that is exactly what I have done and the tyre manufacturers have recommended the lower pressures.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Comfort or safety... :RollEyes::winky:

I prefer to go along with what the manual states.... I should imagine they know when the manual is written what tyres/weights etc are on..::bigsmile:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Comfort or safety... :RollEyes::winky:

I prefer to go along with what the manual states.... I should imagine they know when the manual is written what tyres/weights etc are on..::bigsmile:

When Fiat wrote it (and Adria have just copied them) they did not know what weights were on, because it was sold as a cab and chassis unit only. The handbook is for all forms of Ducato, including all the commercial uses it may be put to. And they certainly don't know what weights I am running it on at the moment!

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Not an exact science ...

It's not an exact science. Weight, surface, speed, ambient temperatures, wheel position etc will make a big difference.

On our last Spanish visit the incab monitors showed 25% plus pressure increase on rear wheels (low van skirts). Alarms on the system go off at + 10%. Believe me these systems are TMI so I've taken it off, Jim's flashers are probably all you need.

Everyone must make their own decision but I definitely run slightly lower pressures in hot weather.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back