Tyre pressures Autocruise Gleneagle 2008 (1 Viewer)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
The sticker showing tyre pressures on my Gleneagle has disappeared. Can anyone supply me with them please for a 2008 model?

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Swift say 79 PSI so I tried 75 PSI and the van rides very well with no harsh bumping apart from really bad potholes which you would expect. As the van is now over five years old I will look at replacing the tyres next year. There are some very small cracks in the tyre walls. Currently fitted are Michelin Agila but not the campervan version so it looks like a big bill coming up! Tyres have enough tread left to drive around the world. I am sure modern tyres have a different mix of rubber compared with tyres of the past which never seemed to get wall cracks. Time to start saving up .

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I was right up against it and needed a set of tyres a while back and like so many have found the Camping tyres just were not available, so also ended up with the Agila non camping, even then they were sourced from 3 wholesalers. The tyre dealer who found and fitted them assured me that the side walls are equal to camping and the load rating is higher, all well and good and to date I am very pleased however on the original converters plate (Autocruise) on the door pillar the recommended pressure is 79 but on my recent MOT the tester told me they had to reduce the pressure to 65 as that was what is stamped on the tyre and they (the testing station) had to comply. Seems as though the bumpy field of tyre pressures gets worse and worse

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for the reply. It does seem that this subject needs an injection of clarity so that motorhome owners can get accurate legal advice as to which tyres are the best match for their vans. My 2008 4000 kg van did not have a tyre pressure information label anywhere on the vehicle when I bought it and I had to email Swift who now own the Autocruise name for information, even though it was not made during their ownership. They suggested 79 psi yet the mot station you used said that was too high.
In some ways it benefits tyre manufacturers that cracks can start appearing on sidewalls after only five years even though tread depth can be almost as new. There must be a better material out there which would stop this degradation. I am not suggesting corners should be cut but my van passed an mot with only advisories on the minor cracking so how on earth do I tell when it is unsafe and should buy a new set. Do I go for the cheapest option and maybe change more often or go for the Michelin motorhome specific tyres which cost an arm and a leg in the hope the walls will last longer. There is no information to help you to decide before buying so you just gave to guess basically. I could remove all the wheels during the winter as the van is at home under a carport but I do not like the idea of the big lump stuck up on four axle stands, and it is a real pain to take the wheels off . I have had the scissor jack collapse while removing the wheels for painting. I will cover the wheels with thick plastic bags over the winter to help prevent uv deterioration but surely most of that happens in the scorching heat of a British summer? What happens to tyres in Spain and Portugal, do they get changed every two years?
Anyway enough rambling, I was going to ask how long you have had the non motorhome Agilis tyres fitted? Any signs of wall cracking yet?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't wait for winter, cover them whenever parked up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back