Tyre pressure (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Hi all,
Have you tried reducing the tyre pressures on your van to make it a less bouncy and noisy ride
I have the handbook recommendations tyre pressure in my van , it generates a lot of noise and ‘ bouncing’ particularly on poor country roads .
Considering reducing the pressure by a few psi to see how it goes.
Stay safe and best wishes
Chris

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,
Have you tried reducing the tyre pressures on your van to make it a less bouncy and noisy ride
I have the handbook recommendations tyre pressure in my van , it generates a lot of noise and ‘ bouncing’ particularly on poor country roads .
Chris
Is that the Motorhome body handbook or the cab manufacturers handbook?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi all,
Chris
Yup. Our Miller handbook said 70 lbs all round..
Ended up using 65 in the fronts and 60 in the rears

Our present van is sposed to be 70 in the front and 55 rear
Tried a few pressures and ended up with 60 front but stayed at 55 for the rears ( tag axle )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Hi all,
Chris
Originally posted in the Elddis forum but thought might be worth repeating here (if it's allowed):

Any thoughts on the accuracy or otherwise of the dashboard warning of tyre pressure?
Brand new Accordo 105 (250 miles on clock) was driven to garage for fuel - noted warning low tyre pressure 3.5 bar "rear right" - which I took to mean offside - ie right side from driver seat. Checked it and and inflated to 5.1 bar.
Took Harvey the RV for an inaugural spin and again low pressure light and warning showing 3.4 - either gauge or valve faulty or a not so slow puncture?.
After just 45 minutes, returned home and gauge now reading 5.4 bar which was ok as tyres were warm.
Left it for 3 hours and went out to check while cold - yep warning light "rear right" but showing as 5.4bar. Checked with pump gauge which showed 5.2 so hardly low.
On a hunch, checked rear nearside and pump showed 4.95bar - not really low either but dash warning not on for "rear left".

I have checked tyresafe motorhome site and they suggest 5.5bar for rear based on max allowable rear axle weight of 1900kg - as our MH is very light on onboard kit, we're well below .

Advice welcomed please
Thanks

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I don’t use anything like the maximum pressure suggested by the handbook (5.5bar). When fully laden (3.5t) we are 4.5bar on rear and 3.5bar on front as per Continental Tyres recommendations Much better ride.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
I don’t use anything like the maximum pressure suggested by the handbook (5.5bar). When fully laden (3.5t) we are 4.5bar on rear and 3.5bar on front as per Continental Tyres recommendations Much better ride.
Thanks - thats useful. I was googling tonight and there is a suggestion that Elddis have set the onboard computer ECU TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system?) to the maximum weight permitted by either axle in case the individual user drives with max weight.
Is there such a thing as a minimum "safe" pressure? From what others have said, 4 to 4.5 bar would give me a much better ride provided I learn to ignore the electronic warning...........

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I had a similar issue, most motorhomes instructions say high pressure 65/70psi but the little sticker on my van before conversion said f59 r65. I spoke to Continental and after giving them my axle weights after conversion they have given me f55 r 56 and this gives a better ride and reduces general van noise.
I fitted tyrepal all around and what is amazing is the variations in presssures as the tyres warm up and cool down. Continental say always measure and alter pressures when cold.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I had a similar issue, most motorhomes instructions say high pressure 65/70psi but the little sticker on my van before conversion said f59 r65. I spoke to Continental and after giving them my axle weights after conversion they have given me f55 r 56 and this gives a better ride and reduces general van noise.
I fitted tyrepal all around and what is amazing is the variations in presssures as the tyres warm up and cool down. Continental say always measure and alter pressures when cold.
Giving the tyre manufacturer our axle weights is what we do to get more specific tyre pressures but aren’t the pressures swinging more because the tyres are softer & flexing more at the lower pressures?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Giving the tyre manufacturer our axle weights is what we do to get more specific tyre pressures but aren’t the pressures swinging more because the tyres are softer & flexing more at the lower pressures?
Possible, they vary by around 4 to 6 psi. Continental are happy with this, they say their tyres are built to do this.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Possible, they vary by around 4 to 6 psi. Continental are happy with this, they say their tyres are built to do this.
Yes, that range is nothing odd. 👍🏻
I posted because im doing the reverse. Puttting in more psi to get a smaller swing in pressure rise 😳
With bikes on the back my rears went up ~15 PSI and alarmed my tyrepal 🤔
Gone from 4bar to 4.3bar and got to a happier 9psi swing. I did remember to reset the 20% alarm for the new values, too.
Sorry about using both pressure units but it’s how I have the info in my head.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Michelin recommended pressures seem too high, as evidenced by the uneven wear on both front tyres that show less tread depth in the centre than the outer edge after 7000 miles. This is despite running at about 5 psi lower, to try to make the ride less harsh.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The safest answer to the OP question is to ask the tyre manufacturer. Provide them with the tyre type and sizes, plus the figures off your weight plate and they'll come back to you with the correct figure.

Except, it seems, from Michelin who appear to quote 80 psi all round regardless!

You could also get guidance off the Tyresafe website.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Our van is on Agilis Crossclimates 16in (Changed from the Continenals that came as Standard) and the stickers that came with the van suggests 79.8 front and rear however the the tyre wall has max 76psi. I have been running at 80psi but I will try them 75 allround next trip out and see how the ride is. It always seems to be a hard ride on Fiat base in general.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a Burstner on the Fiat 4000kg heavy chassis. Running Agilis Michelin quote 5.5 rear 5.0 rear. Van is literally shaking itself to pieces. Cupboard doors coming loose, the flap over the habitation control panel fell off. Now one of the folding tables you put away to use the rear seats as travel seats has fell off with all the screws on the floor. £83000 for a van that shakes and rattles is unbelievable.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Bessy765 I thought non UK built MoHos were supposed to be the tops for construction.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
Hi all,
Chris

Chris, I have a 105 and messed around with tyre pressures a lot until I spoke with my local independant Garage They told me 55 psi all round and that IS the best pressure for handling on country lanes, Motorways and in particular comfort I had tried so many psi's over the previous weeks to no satisfaction until then, so perhaps try that if you have not already

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
The Michelin recommended pressures seem too high, as evidenced by the uneven wear on both front tyres that show less tread depth in the centre than the outer edge after 7000 miles. This is despite running at about 5 psi lower, to try to make the ride less harsh.
Here’s an alternative,
after pulling up after a run, check the temp of each tyre in the centre and each side, with one of these digital/laser temp readers.
if temp is even accross the tyre, then the pressures are ok, if the temp is higher in centre of tyre, pressures too high, if temp Higher on outer edge of tyre, then the pressure is too low.
look in the Pits at most race meetings, and as soon as car comes in from track, first thing they do Is check tyre temps across the tyre width👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Here’s an alternative,
after pulling up after a run, check the temp of each tyre in the centre and each side, with one of these digital/laser temp readers.
if temp is even accross the tyre, then the pressures are ok, if the temp is higher in centre of tyre, pressures too high, if temp Higher on outer edge of tyre, then the pressure is too low.
look in the Pits at most race meetings, and as soon as car comes in from track, first thing they do Is check tyre temps across the tyre width👍
Wow, that’s serious checkin are you a surgeon 😄

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Wow, that’s serious checkin are you a surgeon 😄
😂 no, but was talking to my mechanic this week, who also races on a regular basis, and recently brought a van to convert, but, he does have a dose of OCD🤣🤣🤣
but talking to him, it did seem to make a lot of sense.
i have recently had my van weighed, fully laiden and sent details to Continental, and was amazed at just how much I was running with way over inflated pressures.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Here’s an alternative,

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I use a digital laser temp device to check that the tyre walls are all the same cold temp before doing a pressure check anyway. I never thought of checking the tread temp after a run. (y)

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
So I rang Glossop Caravans but the lady on workshop reception said they can't give any advice on tyre pressures other than to go by the tyre walls and/or in the handbook. I pointed out that the handbook was based on maximum weight on both axles and so not a reliable guide, but she said that was the only advice they would give me.
I then rang Continental who were extremely helpful - said best to go to a weighbridge and they would advise but in the meantime, ignore the tyre wall as that is for Americans (as was stated here last night). I asked him why and he said "because they're Americans, they do things different......". He advised going down to around 4bar would be good, more comfortable but 5.5 was ludicrous.
My dash warning light was still on all day for a trip in the forest - just the right rear saying low pressure 5.4 bar!!!!!
Long story short on the way home tonight, the warning went out and stayed out

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
A Peugeot garage can reset the TPMS to trigger at a lower pressure. I run our Elddis at 50psi front and 70psi rear. These pressures were supplied by Continental after I had confirmed the axle loadings (confirmed at a weigh bridge). From memory Peugeot charged me approx £40.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Continental quoted 56 psi front and 65 psi rear at maximum load (3850 kg) - tyres are 15/225/75. Have used these numbers for 8/9 years with no problems, tyre wear has been normal throughout. The ride is firm but not uncomfortable - it's some of the roads we travel on that shake the van to bits!.

On the subject of TPMS I've noticed that when running the pressures increase by up to 10 psi once fully warmed up, sometimes a little higher if I push the speed above 60 mph. This may have something to do with the fact they are winter tyres, which have a "softer" rubber mix I'm told and I use all year round. If I'm concerned I keep an eye on the temperatures.

OP
OP
Chris63
May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Hi all,
Chris
Thanks to all of your suggestions , much appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back