Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
BUMP!!. Just to advise, that we where out on Friday to Whitby. On the outward run near Scarborough, the Temperature warning beep came up, so we pulled into a Service station and I had look. It would appear that the LH front Caliper was "sticking" and the whole kit and caboodle had over heated. 10min work with a lump hammer and some WD 40 got me going and the Temperature continued to come down as we travelled.

Return Journey on Monday was without incident, and the temp`s stayed within 3 degrees of each other. Currently I`ve got the Front end Jacked and on stands whilst I Clean and Lubricate both sides.

I guess that the device has just paid for it`self, as tyres alone are over £100 each!.

Pete

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Well, I have read every thread posted on tire pressures on Motorhome fun. I have searched the internet and can't find what are the recommended tire pressures for my tires. I am even more confused now than I was before I started. I had written to Michelin a while ago but never got a reply. I have sent them another email today. If I don't get a reply I think I will give them a call next week and wake them up.
I took my MH down to out local weigh bridge. I have on the Front: 1440 kg. Rear: 1880 kg (Loaded weight)
I was running on Vanco Camper Conti's but recently changed to Michelin Camper tires 215x 70x 15. 109 Q I have been running at 5 bar/ 72 psi Front. and 5.5 bar/80 psi Rear. The ride is on the firm side but I don't have a problem with that. The only reason I want to check what tire pressures I should be running on is a bubble developed in the rear Conti before I changed to Michelin. They were ten years old and otherwise looked to be in good condition with hardly any tread wear.
Does anyone have a link to a Michelin chart where I can check what the correct pressures should be.
I did find a Michelin chart but that was from 16" rims not 15". Don't know if that makes any difference.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, I have read every thread posted on tire pressures on Motorhome fun. I have searched the internet and can't find what are the recommended tire pressures for my tires. I am even more confused now than I was before I started. I had written to Michelin a while ago but never got a reply. I have sent them another email today. If I don't get a reply I think I will give them a call next week and wake them up.
I took my MH down to out local weigh bridge. I have on the Front: 1440 kg. Rear: 1880 kg (Loaded weight)
I was running on Vanco Camper Conti's but recently changed to Michelin Camper tires 215x 70x 15. 109 Q I have been running at 5 bar/ 72 psi Front. and 5.5 bar/80 psi Rear. The ride is on the firm side but I don't have a problem with that. The only reason I want to check what tire pressures I should be running on is a bubble developed in the rear Conti before I changed to Michelin. They were ten years old and otherwise looked to be in good condition with hardly any tread wear.
Does anyone have a link to a Michelin chart where I can check what the correct pressures should be.
I did find a Michelin chart but that was from 16" rims not 15". Don't know if that makes any difference.
From what I understand Michelin are not very helpful. Whatever your axle weights are they always recommend the same very high pressure. That is why we prefer Continental tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tyre pressures should not vary by make - only by tyre size. What makes you think the Michelins should be at different pressures to the Contis?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
From what I understand Michelin are not very helpful. Whatever your axle weights are they always recommend the same very high pressure. That is why we prefer Continental tyres.

I don't know if that is the tire pressures for the Conti's

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This may help someone....

IMG_0944.PNG

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I had written to Michelin a while ago but never got a reply. I have sent them another email today. If I don't get a reply I think I will give them a call next week and wake them up.

I have e.mailed Michelin 3 times now to get a reply from them regarding tyre pressures , and the only reply i have received are automated ones, totally waste of time they are.
The e.mail address i used was : michelin-contact@uk.michelin.com
If you get a reply let us know how you got one.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have e.mailed Michelin 3 times now to get a reply from them regarding tyre pressures , and the only reply i have received are automated ones, totally waste of time they are.
The e.mail address i used was : michelin-contact@uk.michelin.com
If you get a reply let us know how you got one.
I have a phone number for them here in France, if I don't get a reply by the middle of next week I will give them a call or even drop in on them. They have two factories close by. One in Roanne and one in Clermont Ferrand which are next door to me almost.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
This may help someone....

View attachment 155607
Thanks for posting the chart. I run on 215x75x15, don't know if that would make any difference to the recommended pressures. According to the above chart I should be running on 3 bars in the front and 4 bars in the rear. However on another chart I saw they recommended 4 bars in the front and 5 bars in the rear.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
PS. If you have a crash caused by low tyre pressures, you will be in deep do do.

And how will they decide what pressure Michelin tyres should be? Go on. Have a guess :)
It's more difficult to prove if tyres were under inflated at time of collision , over inflated = quite obvious (y)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I posted this on a different thread a couple of weeks ago

Michelin recommended 65psi front / 80 psi rear for my 3500kg PVC with a 1650kg/1850kg F/R axle weight distribution on 225/75/R16C/CP Q 116 a Agilis Camping tyres
This was their reply

The Agilis Camping tyre boasts a long life by using the same technology as the Michelin Agilis van tyre range. It has a reinforced construction to enable the use of higher pressures, has 8 kerbing protectors built in to each sidewall to increase resistance of sidewall scuffing and is M+S (mud and snow) marked to give sufficient grip when occasionally travelling in difficult conditions such as unsurfaced roads, mud and snow.

The suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi. This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.
The front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. We at Michelin recommend 65psi to start with.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I posted this on a different thread a couple of weeks ago

Michelin recommended 65psi front / 80 psi rear for my 3500kg PVC with a 1650kg/1850kg F/R axle weight distribution on 225/75/R16C/CP Q 116 a Agilis Camping tyres
This was their reply

The Agilis Camping tyre boasts a long life by using the same technology as the Michelin Agilis van tyre range. It has a reinforced construction to enable the use of higher pressures, has 8 kerbing protectors built in to each sidewall to increase resistance of sidewall scuffing and is M+S (mud and snow) marked to give sufficient grip when occasionally travelling in difficult conditions such as unsurfaced roads, mud and snow.

The suggested tyre pressure for the rear of a motorhome running on the Agilis Camping is 80psi. This is due to the construction of the tyre with 2 casing plies enabling the use of higher pressures. Its construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.
The front pressures however can be adjusted according to accurately weighed axle loads for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance. We at Michelin recommend 65psi to start with.
thanks for the post. This is around the figures I had thought might be correct. Let's see if they reply to my email I sent Michelin.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Getting blood out of a stone would be easier that trying to get anything out of Michelin support. However after five emails, contacting Michelin solutions , trying there FB page and calling there head office in Clermont Ferrand I managed to get some information for my vehicle.

The advise I got from Head Office was basically. Look in the vehicle's hand book.
I told them I have a Fiat Ducato Motor Home. The guy checked his data base and gave me the same pressures that I have in my Fiat Hand book for a camper. Front= 5 bar (72 psi) Rear= 5.5 bar (80 psi)
I also gave him the weights on my axles which are front= 1440 kg and rear= 1880 kg he also asked for the tire size which are 215 x 70 15 109 Q
I told him I had searched the internet and came up with various results ranging from 3 bar in the front and 4 bar in the rear and 4 bar in the front and 5 in the rear. He claims 3 bar and 4 bar are only suitable for the light van fiat Ducato. For Camping cars it should be 5 bar in the front and 5.5 bar in the rear. He said I could play around and reduce the front a little if the ride was too hard but the rear should remain at 5.5 bar. That's what came out of the horses mouth from Michelin Head Office.

I also advised Michelin solutions they should find a solution to help there after sales service as it was none existent and other tire brands did it better.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
The plot thickens.
This is a copy of what I have just received from Michelin support in response to one of my five emails I have sent them.
So it looks like the front tire pressures can be reduced to 4.5 bars (65 psi) to give a more comfortable ride

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Customer Service!

First off apologies for the lack of response from our part. I have checked in our systems for any emails received from you and since there aren´t any I suppose that there must have been some sort of technical issue in receiving your messages.

Secondly, the following recommendation is only given if your motorhome is equipped with MICHELIN Agilis Camping with metal valves.

The recommended tyre pressure for the rear axle of a motorhome running on the MICHELIN Agilis Camping is 80 psi. Its reinforced construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.
The front tyres however can be adjusted to a pressure of 65 psi for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance.

I hope this information is helpful to you and please don´t hesitate to contact us again if you have anymore questions or concerns. We will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Vassilena

MICHELIN Customer Service
Tel: 0845 366 1590

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
See what I mean. Compare Michelin info with that from Continental in, for example, post #67.

Because of our low front load, we are running the fronts on 53psi (3.75bar). We could run them lower according to Continental but when we try to the Fiat low tyre pressure light comes on! This gives a much better ride than having them up round 5 or 6 bar

D

DL42846

Deleted User
See what I mean. Compare Michelin info with that from Continental in, for example, post #67.

Because of our low front load, we are running the fronts on 53psi (3.75bar). We could run them lower according to Continental but when we try to the Fiat low tyre pressure light comes on! This gives a much better ride than having them up round 5 or 6 bar

I have been running on 5 bar in the front and 5.5 bar in the rear. I have just tried reducing the front to 4.5 bar and took it for a test drive. I don't like the feel. The steering feels woolly and a little more effort is required on the steering wheel, so I have put them back to my original pressures. I'm surprised at the lack of concern attitude of Michelin concerning tire pressures I would have thought it was a safety issue if the pressures are incorrect.

I'm surprised your running yours at 3.75 bar on the front ( I'm no expert here ) My axle weight is 1440 kg on the front. Mine is front wheel drive and 5 bar feels comfortable.

The reason I went the Michelin route was only for the fact that the Michelin are M&S rated which means I can run them during the winter months around here and Germany. I was very happy with the Conti's otherwise. They handle very well. I did need to replace the front at 23 thousand miles though.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm surprised your running yours at 3.75 bar on the front ( I'm no expert here ) My axle weight is 1440 kg on the front. Mine is front wheel drive and 5 bar feels comfortable.
I am on 225/75R16 CP Camper tyres on a 4.5t Fiat Alko maxi chassis. My actual front axle load is about 1900kg fully loaded, and Continental say that my tyre pressure should be 3.5bar. My steering feels fine and positive. My rear axle load is about 2400kg, and Continental says the pressure should be 5.25bar.

By the way, all this is in writing and I keep copies in the motorhome

For your info this is what Continental say in a note below their table
"The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage. Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as Motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution putting a greater load on the rear axle is far higher than on the front axles where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking the weight transference is to the front but this only tends to be for short periods whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods when the tyres are rotating at high speed. This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear are deliberately set higher although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection which influences the body roll."

Last edited:
D

DL42846

Deleted User
say that my tyre pressure should be 3.5bar. My steering feels fine and positive. My rear axle load is about 2400kg, and Continental says the pressure should be 5.25bar.

By the way, all this is in writing and I keep copies in the motorhome

For your info this is what Continental say in a note below their table
"The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage. Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as Motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution putting a greater load on the rear axle is far higher than on the front axles where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking the weight transference is to the front but this only tends to be for short periods whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods when the tyres are rotating at high speed. This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear are deliberately set higher although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection which influences the body roll."[/QUOTE]
I am on 225/75R16 CP Camper tyres on a 4.5t Fiat Alko maxi chassis. My actual front axle load is about 1900kg fully loaded, and Continental

I'm running mine with what's in the hand book. But I will also keep a copy of the Michelin's email.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Tyre pressures should not vary by make - only by tyre size. What makes you think the Michelins should be at different pressures to the Contis?

This tire pressure business is quiet a head spinner.

My Motor Home's recommended tire pressure in both the hand book and the ticket on the divers door say front= 5 bar. Rear= 5.5 bar

Michelin state Front= 5 bar, rear= 5.5 bar. But the front can be reduced to 4.5 bar. I gave them the following axle weights. Front= 1440 kg. Rear = 1880 kg

Continental have just replied to my inquire. same axle weights etc. The state Front = 4.5 bar. Rear = 4.7 bar same tire size, same axle weights.

Michelin reply
Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Customer Service!

First off apologies for the lack of response from our part. I have checked in our systems for any emails received from you and since there aren´t any I suppose that there must have been some sort of technical issue in receiving your messages.

Secondly, the following recommendation is only given if your motorhome is equipped with MICHELIN Agilis Camping with metal valves.

The recommended tyre pressure for the rear axle of a motorhome running on the MICHELIN Agilis Camping is 80 psi. Its reinforced construction and the use of higher pressures is designed to cope with continual heavy loads sometimes found on motorhomes and can help with wear pattern issues if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.
The front tyres however can be adjusted to a pressure of 65 psi for a more comfortable ride and optimum performance.

I hope this information is helpful to you and please don´t hesitate to contact us again if you have anymore questions or concerns. We will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Vassilena

MICHELIN Customer Service
Tel: 0845 366 1590

Continental reply.
Good morning, Mr. Wills,

I am following your request for inflatable pressure for your Fiat Ducato vehicle.

The pressure recommended by Continental for the 215/70 R15 Vanco Camper is 4.5 bar, which can be set to 4.7 bar depending on the load.

The Continental Technical Hotline is always at your service:

- By phone at 0820 902 900 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:15 pm and 1:45 pm to 6:00 pm, where a Continental Hotline customer will be happy to accompany you.

- By email at hotline.crc@conti.de

Yours sincerely, Mr. Wills.

Your Continental correspondent

Steven

As I am now running on Michelin's I will stick to there recommended pressures. The ride is on the firm side, but I don't find that a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back