Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
just found out iv been putting the wrong pressure in my tyres on the in side of the door it says 43psi put iv found in the book that came with van that says front 59psi and back 65psi for my Peugeot boxer wayfarer is the one on the door right or the one in the book

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
think id go by the book......the one on the door will be for a standard panel van. ie: white van man.

if its a bit of a hard, bumpy ride then reduce it a bit but 43psi sounds too low to me.

my kontiki takes 65psi rear and 61psi front and feels about right.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is a tyre pressure calculator in downloads but its a bit complcated to use.
you need your tyre type and size and axle weights.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
hya pap
mitchelin recomendid 65psi rear 60psi front for 215/75/r16c for my swift kontiki 645.the sticker on the door says 80psi front and rear.

IAN.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hya pap
mitchelin recomendid 65psi rear 60psi front for 215/75/r16c for my swift kontiki 645.the sticker on the door says 80psi front and rear.

IAN.

thats the absolute maximum pressure the tyre can withstand.
you wouldnt want be running at that.....shake your fillings out...:ROFLMAO:

scotsy

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Funster No
michelins reply

My (new to me) Hymer felt hard over the bumps and I found the tyres were inflated to the handbook reccomendation of 70psi (5 bar) . After reading a post on another site i sent Michelin an email about what pressures i SHOULD be using...

"Please could you advise me the correct 'cold' tyre pressure for use with my year 2000 (Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD based) Hymer B584 motorhome. Its MGVW is 3400kg, max front axle 1650kg, max rear axle 1750kg and is fitted with Michelin 215/70R15C (109q) tyres. Current pressures are 70psi and ride feels quite harsh. thankyou Ian"

Please bear in mind that it depends on YOUR tyres and weights but this was their reply:-

"Dear Mr Scotson

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We suggest that individual axle weights from weigh scale readings are used, in order to calculate pressure recommendations for each quoted load condition. These would be preferred, due to readings being taken in the actual vehicle 'running' condition - that is to say, with all water/fuel/baggage & passengers etc. onboard - and may result in better comfort if the vehicle is running way below maximum capacity.

The results of roadside surveys indicate that some motor homes have been found to be over laden, especially the rear axle, with potential for subsequent tyre related problems.

The overall tyre industry, therefore, tries to build-in a safety factor by fitting strong tyres, inflated to high pressure, in order to remove the potential for consequences of overloading &/or under-inflating the tyres.

The drawback of this safety factor, at the corresponding high pressure, may be an extremely hard ride. The contents of the motor home may rattle, but the tyres will cope nicely.

One 'overall' weight is of no use in calculating tyre inflation pressure levels, since the vehicle may appear to be within the maximum permitted, but in reality may have the rear axle severely over laden & the front axle very lightly laden.

As a guideline from the axle weights that you have supplied and if on the Agilis Camping or XC Camping tyre size 215/70 R15 C 109Q, the pressures for those weights are as follows:-

Front axle load of 1650kg the pressure should be – 55 psi (pounds per square inch)
Rear axle load of 1750kg the pressure should be – 55 psi (pounds per square inch)

The Front axle pressure in this case may be the same as the Rear even though the axle loads are different. Therefore the slight increase in pressure which has been added to the front axle is due to the braking forces and shift in weight that’s being exerted onto it.

We have allocated your message the reference number indicated above. If you need to contact us again regarding your message, we would be grateful if you could include the reference number.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Attention is drawn to the following confidentiality and disclaimer notice:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above and the contents should not be disclosed to any other person nor copies taken. If you are not the intended recipient and/or have received this message in error, kindly disregard the content and return it to the original sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company unless otherwise specifically stated. As Internet communications are not secure we do not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message nor responsibility for any change made to this message after the original sender sent it. Nothing in this e-mail is to be interpreted as an agreement on behalf of Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company. We advise you to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment as we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of any software viruses. Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company reserves the right to monitor and record any e-mails addressed to any worker at Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company and the senders of messages shall be taken to have consented to such monitoring and recording.

Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company
Registered in England no.84559. Registered office Stoke-on-Trent ST4 4EY."

I have since reduced them to 55psi as advised and the ride feels much better now:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back