Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone have the factory fitted tyre pressure monitors from hymer?

I asked for and have been charged for them but can't find any reference to them in the paperwork. I cant go and look just yet as my van is on a storage compound.

So if anyone can help with what i'm actually looking for and how they work, i would appreciate it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes we have them. Not sure how they work as nothing obviously different on the wheel. When you first switch on the ignition one of the many warning lights that come on and then go out will be one with a cross section of a tyre.

They do work. When i lowered the tyre pressures a earning comes up. Bit it seems it does go away if you drive it for a few miles at the nee pressure.

OP
OP
Stand Off

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
Yes we have them. Not sure how they work as nothing obviously different on the wheel. When you first switch on the ignition one of the many warning lights that come on and then go out will be one with a cross section of a tyre.

They do work. When i lowered the tyre pressures a earning comes up. Bit it seems it does go away if you drive it for a few miles at the nee pressure.

Thank you very much for that. As you say, there are no obvious signs that they are fitted. I will keep my eyes open for the warning light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You won't see anything.
An indirect Tyre Pressure Monitoring System typically relies on the wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution of each wheel and is used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed. Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.
A less common (often a retrofit) method is with a sensor and transmitter inside each tyre and attached to the wheel.
HTH

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You won't see anything.
An indirect Tyre Pressure Monitoring System typically relies on the wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution of each wheel and is used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed. Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.
A less common (often a retrofit) method is with a sensor and transmitter inside each tyre and attached to the wheel.
HTH
The Fiat ones can't be based on that system. As soon as I let air out of the tyre it sends up a warning when I switch the ignition back on, even though the wheels have not moved at all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Hi Peter
Are these set to a default pressure or can they be adjusted to your chosen setting?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The Fiat ones can't be based on that system. As soon as I let air out of the tyre it sends up a warning when I switch the ignition back on, even though the wheels have not moved at all.
Well then it probably has the Direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (DTPMS) inside each of the tyres that I mentioned in the last line of my original reply, viz: 'A less common (often a retrofit) method is with a sensor and transmitter inside each tyre and attached to the wheel.'
Sensors in a DTPMS may even provide tyre temperature readings. The direct tyre pressure monitoring system sends all of this data to a centralised control module and if tyre pressure is lower than it should be, transmitted directly to a dashboard indicator light. With some systems each sensor has an i.d. number so that the system can register the pressure of each individual tyre.
HTH

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
Are these set to a default pressure or can they be adjusted to your chosen setting?
Long story short Robert

I could find no way of adjusting settings on them and nor can a Fiat Pro dealer.

However Becks had to change a wheel last Monday and after they did the pressure warning sensor came on. They told me to just drive for a while and it would reset itself and sure enough it did. So I think it auto resets itself when you change pressure. Would have been better if the Fiat Pro dealer knew that but I suspect they are not often specced on vans.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Long story short Robert

I could find no way of adjusting settings on them and nor can a Fiat Pro dealer.

However Becks had to change a wheel last Monday and after they did the pressure warning sensor came on. They told me to just drive for a while and it would reset itself and sure enough it did. So I think it auto resets itself when you change pressure. Would have been better if the Fiat Pro dealer knew that but I suspect they are not often specced on vans.

Is that a standard feature on new Ducato's Peter ?

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Not absolutely sure, but wasn't there an EU directive that all vehicles after 2011 needed them fitting by the manufacturer?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
You won't see anything.
HTH
This might be true of some vehicles but a Volvo, Toyota and Honda all post 2015 with legally required TPMS fitted or are internal to the tyre/wheel assembly and certainly do not have anything like this.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This might be true of some vehicles but a Volvo, Toyota and Honda all post 2015 with legally required TPMS fitted or are internal to the tyre/wheel assembly and certainly do not have anything like this.
We have had 3 BMW's in the last 4 years (long story) all in theory the exact same spec the first two had the TPMS via the ABS sensors as described, the last one had the in wheel pressure sensors.

On the BMW's you can tell which you have by the tyre valve, rigid on the in wheel and rubber on the ABS sensor type.

Martin

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We have had 3 BMW's in the last 4 years (long story) all in theory the exact same spec the first two had the TPMS via the ABS sensors as described, the last one had the in wheel pressure sensors.

On the BMW's you can tell which you have by the tyre valve, rigid on the in wheel and rubber on the ABS sensor type.

Martin
Have checked some of my data sheets which suggest BMW and other manufacturers had problems with the ABS linked system and have or are moving to internal systems. funflair absolutely correct in his method of spotting which is which.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The 'in wheel transmitter' type have receivers in the wheel arch for at least 3 wheels, the fourth wheel pressure by deduction of the other three....black magic.
They are not usually fixed pressure dependant but rely on a pressure differential between wheels
As long as all pressures are within the same parameters, regardless of actual pressure, they will not show a fault.
They generally require the wheel to be turning to transmit a signal or extinguish a warning after inflation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Put the same pressure in EACH wheel.....any pressure.....and the system sorts itself out.
As in my last post, they rely on a pressure differential between wheels, maybe 4 or 5 psi difference, and not a pre-determined and fixed min/max pressure.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Put the same pressure in EACH wheel.....any pressure.....and the system sorts itself out.
As in my last post, they rely on a pressure differential between wheels, maybe 4 or 5 psi difference, and not a pre-determined and fixed min/max pressure.
Not sure that is how the Fiat ones work. I did put the same pressure in bith sides but it still showef a fault.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not absolutely sure, but wasn't there an EU directive that all vehicles after 2011 needed them fitting by the manufacturer?
I thought that was just cars, not all vehicles, so I googled and found this:
EU Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Legislation
On Tuesday 10th March 2009 The European Parliament in Strasbourg officially approved a Directive Proposal of the Commission aimed to simplify and change the type approval of motor vehicles in Europe.

At the same time this proposal introduces a series of implementing measures imposing mandatory adoption of some proven existing technology including Tyre Pressure monitoring Systems (and ESP).

As for TPMS introduction dates and technical specification this mandate officially requires that (see article 9.2 of adopted text):

"Vehicles in categories M1 shall be equipped with an accurate Tyre Pressure Monitoring System capable of giving, when necessary, an in-car warning to the driver when a loss of pressure occurs in any tyre, which is in the interests of optimum fuel consumption and road safety. Appropriate limits in the technical specifications shall be set to achieve this, which shall furthermore allow for a technology-neutral and cost-effective approach in the development of accurate Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems."

As for the introduction dates of TPMS, there is a two year phase-in schedule starting from November 1st 2012. Article 13.1 to 13.4 of the adopted text states that all vehicles type approved after this date must install a TPM System. Furthermore all newly registered vehicles after November 1st 2014 must have a TPM System.

https://www.bartecautoid.com/tpms-legislation.html

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And a motorhome is "M1 Special Purpose" so does this fall inside out outside the above EU legislation for category "M1".

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As I have siad my 2015 Hymer had TMPS. But that is only because the dealer specced it as an extra. It was not a standard fit. So implementation dates must have shifted as they usually do with the EU.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
From

• Do I need TPMS on any other vehicles? As per the new EU regulation, only new passenger vehicles registered after November 1st 2014 will need to have TPMS fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back