Tyre Pressure Monitoring (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
You chaps seem to speak very highly about these things but might I ask two questions?

1 Do the external sensors make it neccessary to have the wheels rebalance I notice they mention 12grammes, thats a quite a big (un)blancing weight.

and 2 Any comments on the cheapie ones on ebay? some are under £40 whereas the uk peopl sem to want just over the £100, a big dfference since they are probably all made in the Far East

Thanks
Mike

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If they work properly then I can see that they would be worth having if you want to spend that kind of money, however being a man of Yorkshire I favour the pain in the toe method.
When you kick the tyre and you hurt your toes then it is okay, if you kick it and you don't hurt your toes then it's time to put some air in.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have tyre pal and no problems with balance,they work very well and I got them as I tow a four wheel car trailer which they also monitor and give peace of mind should you have a problem.IMHO well worth the money.
Unable to comment on the cheaper ones but believe you get what you pay for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If they work properly then I can see that they would be worth having if you want to spend that kind of money, however being a man of Yorkshire I favour the pain in the toe method.
When you kick the tyre and you hurt your toes then it is okay, if you kick it and you don't hurt your toes then it's time to put some air in.
Thats OK for a static measuring technique but it doesn't report back in real time the temperature and pressure while you are driving.

To answer the OP I don't think they need to rebalance the wheel after fitting the caps, I have not tried the cheapie ones from eBay so can't comment on those but we have had tyre pal for a few years now and no problems although we have the flow through inline devices not the caps.

Martin

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
There's another thread on here where someone talks about buying one of the cheaper ones, then ended up buying a Tyrepal because the sensors wouldn't send the distance when fitted to the wheels.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Have had TyrePal for about five years and transferred to second van. Replaced batteries in the wheel sender caps about a year ago. Everything works fine and very happy with them for peace of mind.

Not tried any 'cheapie' ones off ebay, so can't comment on those.

No problem with wheel balance.

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well, thanks fellas.

I decided to chuck £40 at it and bought the Ebay version which is supposed to go up to 8 bar, will report back and let you know how I get on.
Getting a bit bored with checking pressures before every trip and feeling tyre temps each time we stop- what can I do now to fill in the time whilst SWMBO makes the coffee?
Mike & Ann

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie

I like the pain in the toe method, no special tools required.
Luv it

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
An additional advantage of a tyre monitoring system is that it can give you a discount on your insurance. It does in mine; caravan guard.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
An additional advantage of a tyre monitoring system is that it can give you a discount on your insurance. It does in mine; caravan guard.
Really? Must remember that when I come to renewal (Comfort).

Very pleased with Tyrepal - batteries seemed to last around 5 years, just started replacing them (display doesn't work).

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Despite my toe kicking test I am concerned about the trailer tyres when on the trip to Spain with the car on board. Would like to change to a twin wheel trailer but a bit expensive and I have left it a bit late for this year.
So would someone please confirm that the monitor will pick up the trailer wheels if I buy the Tyrepal ones.
Thank you.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I don't have a trailer myself I know a couple of Funsters who do and have had no problems getting the signal from the trailer tyres. @CherryPirate is one who'll happily confirm.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Despite my toe kicking test I am concerned about the trailer tyres when on the trip to Spain with the car on board. Would like to change to a twin wheel trailer but a bit expensive and I have left it a bit late for this year.
So would someone please confirm that the monitor will pick up the trailer wheels if I buy the Tyrepal ones.
Thank you.

We have a Tyre Pal system on the MH and on our car. When towing the car we take the display from the car into the MH cab. To make sure we get the signal from the car into the van cab we have a repeater system (also from Tyre Pal) and it works a treat.

Hope that answers your question,

Dave

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well the cheapie off Ebay eventually got delivered and looked great ,,, until I tried to read the very poorly printed instructions, even with a magnifying glass. Couldnt get it to set to a normal pressure above 46psi so asked for confirmation that I was doing it correctly.
We are now 3 days later and they have agreed that it wont cover the motorhome tyre pressures. I now await a returns number and a full credit. Still they did hope that " I had a nice day" in the email!
YF says " why dont I just keep checking the tyres before and after like i've done for the last 75000 miles" Perhaps she has a point.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The point is you can't check them as you're going along and don't know what may have happened since you set off.
The thought of a tyre slowly deflating and heating up to the point of blowout whilst unaware scares me to death.
Get a Tyrepal

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The old adage "Cheap no good; good no cheap" comes to mind.

Sorry but I've always been disappointed with stuff bought on Ebay so don't bother with it now.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just ordered me a Pace system that does up to 131psi off Amazon, got good reviews apart from one guy who said it did not read the rear wheels on his Motorhome, whilst others with a caravan in tow say they work great - will give a review once they land in case they are of interest to others wanting a set.
Amazon product ASIN B01GPSEIW6

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just to complete the saga, the Chinese one has been returned for full credit ( Ebay paid the return postage) and I have today dug deep and placed order with Tyrepal for one of theirs, at least you can speak to them directly, in English
Lets see how that works out

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back