Tyre load rating? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi All
Will shortly be fitting a spare wheel carrier to the rear door of my Hymer PVC.
To save a little cash I've found a tyre and wheel with little use, however even though it came from a similar vehicle (Mercedes Sprinter) it has a slightly different load rating.
Tyres on my van are Continental 4 Season 235/65 16 R With a load of 121/119.
The used tyre is a Continental Contact 200 load rating 115(8mm of tread).
To buy a new 4 Season tyre and wheel costs approximately £250, the used eBay purchase will cost
£100
As it's only intended as a spare and hopefully never used I'm thinking eBay purchase will be ok.
Is this false economy?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Yes there is a difference,
The 121 tyre is able to carry 1450 kg, 2900 kg per axle
The 115 tyre is able to carry 1215 kg, 2430 kg per axle.

Check your weight / vin plate for your axle weights . The tyre needs to be able to carry the max weight needed by either axle.

Might be worth using weighbridge to make sure you are not overloaded in travel trim.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Front axle 1860
Rear 2250

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Front axle 1860
Rear 2250
Assuming the spare would be needed on the rear axle, it looks like the 115 would do, however, personally, I'd only be using it purely as a spare, until the very earliest opportunity to replace it with another 121 rated tyre, so that both rear tyres are a matching pair. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The tyre is fine providing it is used just as a 'Get you home'

However, (There's always one!)

Should you be unfortunate enough to have to replace one of the four tyres presently on the 'van in France, anecdotal comments would seem to suggest that they would only replace like for like' ie. not only the same size but the same tread pattern.

This means that if your 'spare' tyre is different in any way to that which is to be replaced, they would insist on two tyres to be bought.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Funsters have reported the above on here.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't skimp on this, it's just not worth it.

Spend that little extra and get the correct tyre.

A blowout on a motorhome is most probably a brown staining experience and one whereby you'll have wished to have spent the extra quids

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Like PP Bear just said, but to provide extra peace of mind if your van does not have a built in Tyre Pressure Monitor, then get yourself a dash mounted solar powered TyrePal kit, it reads tyre pressures & temps warning you with an alarm. Get a 10% discount as a Funster when ordering.
LES

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I would not be fitting a tyre with a different load rating when operating a usually loaded vehicle , as it will behave differently and could cause handling problems particularly when at limits in a high stress situation , eg swerve , heavy braking .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The tyre is fine providing it is used just as a 'Get you home'

However, (There's always one!)

Should you be unfortunate enough to have to replace one of the four tyres presently on the 'van in France, anecdotal comments would seem to suggest that they would only replace like for like' ie. not only the same size but the same tread pattern.

This means that if your 'spare' tyre is different in any way to that which is to be replaced, they would insist on two tyres to be bought.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Funsters have reported the above on here.
Same in Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back