Tyre load index question (and pressures) (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Possibly a silly question, but is the load index for a tyre, the load per tyre or per axle?

I hope the former as I've just weighted my motorhome and if it's per axle, I think I might be seriously under tyred!:whatthe:

Anyhow, my van (Ducato Swift Sundance, a tad over 5 metres) has 195/70 R15 tyres, Continental Vanco 2 on the front (with a 104/102 load index) on the front and some Falken Linam R51x on the rear (same load rating).

On the weighbridge today with a full fuel tank, full water tank, full toilet, half full waste and a dog on board it weighed 1200 at the front and 1420 at the rear.

So, do my tyres have the correct load index and what sort of pressures should I be using? I've downloaded the tyre pressure table form this site and I *think* it should be 40psi front and 51 psi rear but I'm not sure I'm using the table correctly. Does this sound about right?

As a follow up, are some tyres better on grass than others? Ours are, to put it impolitely, sh*te! Any recommendations?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
according to the chart your pressures are correct......but you could experiment with a little more pressure if the ride feels soft/wallowy or the tyres feel hot and sticky after a decent run out..

the load rating is correct.

wet grass and ducato's do not mix.
the front end is too light and road tyres will not grip so will spin with ease.

on grass pitch's try to park with the front wheels nearest the hard ground/road (less distance to hard ground) and dont park where you need to drive/reverse uphill towards the road

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the reassurance regarding pressures & load ratings. I've already learnt to avoid dodgy the slightest grassy inclines of boggy areas. Be nice if there was a tyre that could improve the situation though.

As a wee follow up, is there a standard(ish) wheel nut torque? 65lbft comes to mind but I could be misremembering it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the reassurance regarding pressures & load ratings. I've already learnt to avoid dodgy the slightest grassy inclines of boggy areas. Be nice if there was a tyre that could improve the situation though.

As a wee follow up, is there a standard(ish) wheel nut torque? 65lbft comes to mind but I could be misremembering it.

Oops, just to follow up on my own reply, this site seems to indicate 160, unspecified units.

Link Removed

I'm guessing that's Nm?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oops, just to follow up on my own reply, this site seems to indicate 160, unspecified units.

Link Removed

I'm guessing that's Nm?

160Nm or in English...118ftlb's

M&S (winter) tyres are better but not a lot, and tread wear will suffer on dry roads..
once the tread is full of mud nothing will grip

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back