LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just doing a few checks on my truck.. The tyre preasure according to the sticker on the edge of door frame ,, Say`s tyre preasure is 35 PSI front and Rear..

There is nothing in the manual about tyre preasures just says refer to sticker.. No mention of a little extra with a trailer or 5th wheel hooked up.

Does anybody know if the rear`s should have a bit more when towing 5th wheel? :RollEyes:

Tyres are Bridgestone Dueler A/T, P275/65R18.

Thanks.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Does anybody know if the rear`s should have a bit more when towing 5th wheel? :RollEyes:
Tyres are Bridgestone Dueler A/T, P275/65R18.
Thanks.

Gut instinct says yes, definately. Even on the lightest 5vers,the pin weight is not insubstantial. Fortunately in your case Mo, you have a yank pickup so I would have thought that an e-mail to either the pick up manufacturer or the 5ver manufacturer would give you an exact answer.

Can you imaging my case (when it comes).........
'scuse me Mr Nissan, how much extra air does a Navara need for a 5ver"

answer="a what?" :)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Surely the MVW of the truck, irrespective of make, shouldn't be exceeded with a 5er ?
that being the case then the tyre pressure should be as the manufacturer gives for a fully laden vehicle ?

Or is the truck uprated to take extra load ?

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Old-Mo

I have been out in the freezing cold :Eeek: and looked at the plate on my Ford F250. It gives me GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Ratings for a given tyre pressure) this is for both front and rear axles. If you refer to your handbook it should give you a maximum weight for the pick up bed, compare this against the pin weight of your 5'er and if it is anywhere near close to the maximum then I would inflate to the pressure on the plate. I would give you my figures but as I have a F250 that would be a waste of time ::bigsmile:

Hope this helps

Rob

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi

Surely the MVW of the truck, irrespective of make, shouldn't be exceeded with a 5er ?
that being the case then the tyre pressure should be as the manufacturer gives for a fully laden vehicle ?

Or is the truck uprated to take extra load ?

Jim

Thanks Paul & Rob.. Jim the truck has been uprated to a heavy tow pack :Smile:

What ever that means. :Doh:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Gut instinct says yes, definately. Even on the lightest 5vers,the pin weight is not insubstantial. Fortunately in your case Mo, you have a yank pickup so I would have thought that an e-mail to either the pick up manufacturer or the 5ver manufacturer would give you an exact answer.

Can you imaging my case (when it comes).........
'scuse me Mr Nissan, how much extra air does a Navara need for a 5ver"

answer="a what?" :)

Thanks Paul,, had not thought of that, will e-mail Ford .:thumb:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Thanks Paul & Rob.. Jim the truck has been uprated to a heavy tow pack :Smile:

What ever that means. :Doh:

A heavy tow pack is IIRC uprated springs, that is Leaf Springs, also it may include spring assisters in the form of inflatable rubber rings, also may include uprated dampers.

Again, IIRC none of these modifications will increase the towing capacity or the pick up carrying capacity but what they will do is make the whole towing event a much more comfortable experience.

I hope that helps

Rob

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
have a look at the tyre sidewall for the stated max load and pressure, I can't remember exactly, but the pin weight should be about 20% of the trailer weight. As has already been said, ALL the weights and tyre size and pressures will be on drivers door pillar.
The tyres on my truck had been changed from standard to a wider size, but the load rating was too little for my truck camper, putting the correct size and rating back on allowed higher pressures, this gave me my load capacity back and also helped to control body roll.
I don't think you will have any weight issues if the tyres are standard, (or better) with your 5er. But do check the door plate. What is the weight of your trailer???
You can check the actual pin weight, but it will involve a bit of effort at a weigh-bridge!!
The Co. you bought the outfit from should have done this for you.
Nigel & Pamala

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Old-Mo

You may want to try these sites out.

Jayco site this gives you specifications for all their 5'ers

Link Removed

Then you may want to try Edmonds.com for the specifications of your F150.

Try here Link Removed

You can use the drop down's on the top LHS of the page to take you to any year of manufacture.

Hope that helps

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back