Tyre Dilema? (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Funster No
Cant make up my mind which route to go down. We have a 2009 Swift Bolero which had Vanco Continental Camper tyres as original fitment. (215/70 R15 109 rating). Spare new and unused. Last September on the advice of my local Quickfit, I changed the front tyres (which incidentally had 3/4mm trad left), to Michelin Agilis Camping tyres as they said they were much quieter than the Continental Tyre and better in Mud and the wet. They have now done approx 3,000 miles. We are off to France and Spain in a few weeks for a 6 week trip, and think I had better change the rear tyres due to the age issue. They still have 3- 4 mm trad left and look ok. Passed its MOT last week no issues. So, do I change the rear Contintal Vanco Tyres with Michelin Agilis so we have a matching set of 4 new tyres, (spare Continental), or do I have 2 new Vanco Continentals fitted to the rear. I have read or or two threads where funsters prefer the Continental tyre to the Michelin Agilis tyre. What would you guys do?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I personally think Agilis are quieter running and have never had problems with them

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am of the "If it holds a corner up" brigade
Your not driving an F1. Tyres IMO need to mach in size and load rating only
But be sure the tyre manf just luuuuuurve you guys :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would leave them alone. You could get another years use from them- think about again next year.
If they have passed the MOT then there is no signs of the walls cracking.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I thought tyres on the same axle had to match make and spec . I always match my tyres including the spare .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think just to be cautious, I would (and do have) the same tyres all round including the spare. I changed 4 and kept the brand new spare BUT found out that France and other countries won't fit different tyres on same axle and if they don't have your matching tyre, then you could end up buying 2 tyres and still have a useless spare.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think just to be cautious, I would (and do have) the same tyres all round including the spare. I changed 4 and kept the brand new spare BUT found out that France and other countries won't fit different tyres on same axle and if they don't have your matching tyre, then you could end up buying 2 tyres and still have a useless spare.
Btw just while i remember to ask , are you allowed to change your own flat wheel with a spare wheel in the even of a puncture while in Europe ?? ( if your spare was a different make tyre )

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Btw just while i remember to ask , are you allowed to change your own flat wheel with a spare wheel in the even of a puncture while in Europe ?? ( if your spare was a different make tyre )
Tbf, I'm assuming that it would be alright but if the local plod appears to see what you are doing, then that may cause a problem

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Okay I got a question. It's recommended to change tyres once 5 years old.
What if your spare has spent 5 years in garage unused.
Would you replace it at also or keep it until needed?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A recommendation. I had my tyres fully checked before and after trips at my local tyre company and I decided to change at 11 years old. The tyre company did pass the tyres but I dedided to change.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The main cause of tyre degradation is UV light but rubber still deteriorates with age, even in the dark.

OP
OP
M
Nov 15, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the thoughts and replies guys. I certainly am curious to read that in France/Spain should you be unlucky enough to suffer a puncture it may be a problem fitting a Continental Tyre and Michelin Tyre on the same axle even though the size and rating are indentical. I think I will probably go for 2 new Vancouver Continental Tyres on the rear, at least then if I get a puncture on one of the rear tyres (heaven forbid), the spare will match.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I think in France it is. If you don't have a problem then nobody would know but apparently the breakdown services won't mix.

I stand corrected this being the case, in my defence nothing was mentioned about France though in the op :whistle:
I will clarify it isn't a requirement in the UK :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I prefer to have all 5 tyres the same and rotate then round, Michelins have M&S marking which will make them legal in most countries this time of year, the Conti's don't. 4mm tread depth is about the minium you want on a Motorhome regardless of age, time to change them. In winter months in a lot of countries 3mm tread depth is the legal minium.

Last edited:

chriscroft

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 2012
I prefer to have all 5 tyres the same and rotate then round, Michelins have M&S marking which will make them legal in most countries this time of year, the Conti's don't. 4mm tread depth is about the minium you want on a Motorhome regardless of age, time to change them. In winter months in a lot of countries 3mm tread depth is the legal minium.
I didn't think that M&S (Mud&Snow) had any jurisdiction compliance, only the 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) Alpine making carried ant weight. The 3PMSF marking certifies that the tire has passed the Homologation tests set out in the EU regulation 117. M&S means that the tyre designer has considered M&S in the design of the tyre regarding extra voids in the tread, tread design, durability etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I didn't think that M&S (Mud&Snow) had any jurisdiction compliance, only the 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) Alpine making carried ant weight. The 3PMSF marking certifies that the tire has passed the Homologation tests set out in the EU regulation 117. M&S means that the tyre designer has considered M&S in the design of the tyre regarding extra voids in the tread, tread design, durability etc.
Most countries accept the M&S marking when winter tyres are required. Germany has just changed it's law as of 1st Jan 2018 Alpine marking is required however tyres manufactured before 1 Jan 2018 with only the M&S marking are acceptable until 31st Oct 2024

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So, your rear tyres and your spare are coming up for 9 years old? Do I get that from your 2009 age motorhome?

If so, no dilemma, they are ready for changing on age. Get 3 Michelins so they all match. Simples.

You may get one more trip out of them, but why risk it. I did once and had a blow-out on the way home with my (then) caravan. On M25 in rush hour in four lane section near Heathrow airport and M4 junction.

You gotta do it sometime.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This is from BF Goodrich tyres info

Winter markings

Two specific winter markings can be found on tyre sidewalls:

M+S

This marking indicates that, in accordance with European regulations, it is a "snow" tyre. Nonetheless, its performances in winter conditions are not tested.

3PMSF

3 Peaks Mountain Snow Flake: tyres with this marking are designed for snowy roads and offer performance levels confirmed in tests.*

The symbol made up of three peaks and a snowflake (3pMSF) on M+S (Mud & Snow) tyres designates tyres designed for difficult snow conditions.

* Test of braking efficiency in winter conditions using the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) method.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All of which sounds like the usual Manufacturer / Bureaucrat collusion to take more money out of the Customer, with the usual "nice little earner" for the police and legal profession. IF the tyre has a legal Tread then it matters not what Make it is on any configuration always assuming the sizing is correct. Manufacturers will be happy to sell you 2 tyres rather than 1, any day of the week. Suppliers will be happy to sell you 2, as they get twice the turnover. The police will "turn you over" because they get (in most cases) a "cut" of the Fines.

How is it that we survived all these years without these new "rules"?.

Capmper/Caravan tyres over 5 years old are suspect, that I accept, Assuming they have spent much of that time not moving. And tyres do degrade even in the dark if stored. But the Crap about not having 2 makes on one axle is just that CRAP. The specification of a modern tyre between differing manufacturer made for the Same purpose, will be so small as to be infinitesimal. In fact I would even argue that often they will have come from the same factory production line!. Just like parts for vehicles are often spread over many different makes.

Reactions: Geo

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Brakes need to be equal braking force for a vehicle to pull up under control in a straight line .

Different makesTyres have different tread patterns and if you check the spec for tyres they have a measured stopping distance in the wet .
If you have different make and spec tyres on the same axle one tyre will be braking better on one side which could put the vehicle to swerve if in a slide as they are not balanced .

It makes sense to have the same tyre on the axle both sides to me .

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you find yourself on roads with puddles you must turn round lest one tyre gets wet
or you may swerve when you brake,and when driving on ice make sure both wheels are on ice:Eeek:
or you might again skid

chriscroft

Free Member
Aug 25, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 2012
If you find yourself on roads with puddles you must turn round lest one tyre gets wet
or you may swerve when you brake,and when driving on ice make sure both wheels are on ice:Eeek:
or you might again skid
or that there is exactly the same weight on each tyre across the axel because that will alter the friction mobilisation....... Having said all that, personally I would want the same tyre with similar tread on the same axel, but with the ESP - electronic stability programme or similar fitted to most new motorhomes and full independent 4 channel brakes/anti skid, I guess going forward it should not make too much difference.
If you going to have a problem braking it will often be in very wet or slippery conditions, so having the best tyres with 4 season performance and 3mm or 4mm minimum tread depth makes a lot of sense to me.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
3-4 mm of tread seems very acceptable to me, they are only just over half worn. On a 44 ton truck the legal minimum is 1mm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back