Tyre decision - what would you choose? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
There are far too many variables for anyone to answer this accurately. Usage, mileage, standing time, temperature, load, tracking, yadda yadda. Everyone's tyre experiences will be somewhat unique to them, and indeed subjective based on their own preferences, brand loyalties, and so on.
Fully accept all the above, however, I am not looking for a definitive answer - as much as it would be great if there could be one! - only asking for personal experiences so that i can take them into account.

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
My Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres are 225/75/16 with a 120 load rating and can have a maximum pressure of 85 psi according to Hankook's website, other Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres at different sizes can be restricted with lower pressures. Trying to pick tyres is a mind bending experience with so many variables in play.
Totally agree. Can I ask what pressure you run your Hankooks at and the weight of your MH?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
After having to change all 7 of the tyres with Michelin camping tyres many years ago I decided on my 1st van conversion to give budget commercial tyres a go.

I have never looked back. For the last 10 years I have stuck with them just buying whatever no name is available. Never had a problem and never noticed any problems with grip, or comfort.
Saved myself a fortune.
Shocking are they round and black!

I've never knowingly put a premium tyre on a wheel!

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Fully accept all the above, however, I am not looking for a definitive answer - as much as it would be great if there could be one! - only asking for personal experiences so that i can take them into account.
I did mention on my previous reply. I had continentals on this van and previous van. Load 110 and 60 psi. Harsh ride, and stepped wear. On the outside almost bold, with 4-5mm in the middle. The van is not that loaded and it bounces on bad roads, shakes all inside.
In my opinion, the higher the load index, the more likely to have a harsh ride. Also 235/65 vs 205/75 makes a difference. The higher the profile, the softer the ride. Like I said, I gave maxxis a go, with A for grip and B for fuel. So far very pleased.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Totally agree. Can I ask what pressure you run your Hankooks at and the weight of your MH?
From memory 75 psi front 80 psi rear and I'm 4250 Kg they could both drop a bit I think but I need to get to a weigh bridge.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Raul, which Maxxis are you using and do you have any info on tyre pressures from them?
Maxxis vansmart mcv3, 58psi all around, load index 110. I haven’t got any pressure info from them. Just based on info for my van.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Is this since Michelin closed their UK factory a couple of years ago ? I used to have them on my cars but swapped to Grabbers for my 4x4 and Contis for the Van
I'd been a Michelin fan for years but my last two sets cracked badly. My local tyre fitter recommended Hankook as he was fed up with Michelins poor quality now. I've had them for 2 years now and realise how bad Michelin were for many reaso

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
The max psi markings on the tyre wall is for the USA market only. Use a tyre/size/load calculator to work out the pressure for your van. The downside to this is that if you have the misfortune to be involved in a serious accident and the police serious investigation team are involved, you *may* lead yourself open to prosecution under the construction and use legislation for the fitting of incorrect tyres (not recommended by the manufacturer if not the same size) and for incorrect pressure as stated in your handbook. The tolerance that is usually acceptable is +-10% either way. There is also the issue that once the insurance company get wind of this then they *may* void your policy! Sorry to sound so bleak on this but I’ve had first hand experience on this after being hit by a 4x4 towing a trailer with a car on it. His insurance covered my damage but not his or the new written off Audi he had on board. He lost control whilst overtaking me and rolled. His trailer had incorrect pressures on all 4 wheels!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The max psi markings on the tyre wall is for the USA market only. Use a tyre/size/load calculator to work out the pressure for your van. The downside to this is that if you have the misfortune to be involved in a serious accident and the police serious investigation team are involved, you *may* lead yourself open to prosecution under the construction and use legislation for the fitting of incorrect tyres (not recommended by the manufacturer if not the same size) and for incorrect pressure as stated in your handbook. The tolerance that is usually acceptable is +-10% either way. There is also the issue that once the insurance company get wind of this then they *may* void your policy! Sorry to sound so bleak on this but I’ve had first hand experience on this after being hit by a 4x4 towing a trailer with a car on it. His insurance covered my damage but not his or the new written off Audi he had on board. He lost control whilst overtaking me and rolled. His trailer had incorrect pressures on all 4 wheels!
My van's manual says 80psi all round. It was extremely tiring to drive.

My reasoning for changing to Continental tyres is they publish a handbook of recommended pressures for every tyre type and size, by axle weight. I have a reasonably robust justification for going down to 50psi.

Feb 17, 2014
Leek, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
V Line 635 Sport
Exp
4th year done and counting!
Just had 2 Hankook Vantra RA18's fitted to the rear of my PVC and was told the same at the garage, maximum inflation was 85 psi, currently running at 65 psi and the ride quality is tons better than the Michelin Agilis that have gone onto the front for the time being. I will replace those next with the Hankook Vantras and probably run at around 60 psi on the front.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Think there may be a bit of confusion creeping in.
There is 2 different Michelin Agilis tyres.
The Agilis camping tyre and
The Agilis Cross Climate tyre....
2 totally different tyres.
actually more.
All Michelin Tyres for vans are designated "aglis", so if a van has michelin van tyres of any variety, they are Michelin Aglis

i.e. https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/browse-tyres/by-family/agilis

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just had 4 Vanco 4 seasons contact from continental. Was on Vanco Camper for 32,000 miles. These are quieter.
About £650 fitted. Local tyre fitters ordered and fitted them.
Seem good on wet grass.
PS. 215/70/15’s
Mitch.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
If you want to know the base vehicles tyre pressures have a look at your cabs owners manual. That will give the pressures for a C rated tyre. Generally 65psi front and rear for a Boxer based van.
This is a good starting point as it is the pressure for a given load rating which will match the axle weight.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just had 4 Vanco 4 seasons contact from continental. Was on Vanco Camper for 32,000 miles. These are quieter.
About £650 fitted. Local tyre fitters ordered and fitted them.
Seem good on wet grass.
PS. 215/70/15’s
Mitch.
Same. I was on a site with wet grass as it was drizzling all day. I pulled off and did the long uphill to the road. Later I came back and I did some manoeuvring to get back on my pitch. I didn't even consider that it might be slippy.

Then I watched a VW Transporter make two attempts to up the hill before finally making it by reversing up the hill with a runup...

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Oh excellent…a tyre thread! Yippee!

Michelin Agilis Cross Climate fitted over a year ago and have been amazing ever since. Beautiful quiet ride, brilliant in the wet and on mud or wet grass and also in winter.

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Just to complete this thread question, I have finally made my decision!

Big thanks to all who have added their thoughts and experiences. I have gone with Michelin Agilis Cross Climates. I was very tempted by the Honkooks but in the end the extra winter capabilities won me over as I drive cross Spain to the Med in January and use the MH all the year round. Continentals were also seriously considered but quite a few people have reported excessive ware issues on the outside of the tyres - no means of verifying this but it added a doubt in my mind and I hope i am wrong as I know many on FUN use these tyres.

Ended up buying from Qwik Fit as with the online booking discount they came to £594 for 4 fully fitted as a branch I have used for years and trust (Newtown Powys). It needs to be remembered that the garages can not match the companies on line price (15% for Michelins at the moment). Was able to book a date and time on line and get confirmation of every thing on e-mail and phone in seconds. I did call into the local ATS who have the tyres in stock as they fit them to all the local ambulances but even with a discount they came to £758! Mobile fitters are a no-go for me as my drive has a significant slope. Qwick Fit giving a free visual break check and battery test as well - will be interesting to see if this is an honest check or a method to increase sales. Given my history with them I am hoping for honesty as the MOT garage will have just check the breaks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back