Tyre covers - are they any help? (1 Viewer)

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I've found an extremely good use for my totally useless satellite dish whilst on the continent. And, back to the OP, isn't it inadvisable to run a tyre, in one direction for a time, then reverse it??

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I've found an extremely good use for my totally useless satellite dish whilst on the continent. And, back to the OP, isn't it inadvisable to run a tyre, in one direction for a time, then reverse it??

Be careful when and if you do this... if you are suggesting swopping wheels round.. as a lot of tyres these days have a correct way to rotate, and usually are marked with an arrow to show which way a tyre should turn/rotate... (y)

If that`s not what you mean,,,,, I`ll keep me gob shut... ;):D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are millions of vehicles around the world, in far hotter places than the UK

I've never seen any of them with tyres covered up.

My bike tyres get to 60 c on track with no problems

Heat isnt the enemy here.....UV light is the culprit.

Uv rays degrade rubber over time causing the cracked sidewalls.

If your tyres are exposed to a lot of sun then they are worth having.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have one tyre, that where i park M/H is always in the sun, I have it covered with an old tartan rug!

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Be careful when and if you do this... if you are suggesting swopping wheels round.. as a lot of tyres these days have a correct way to rotate, and usually are marked with an arrow to show which way a tyre should turn/rotate... (y)

If that`s not what you mean,,,,, I`ll keep me gob shut... ;):D

Exactly my point. Have a look at the OP. The 'north side' rear tyre has been moved to the front.

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Also the age of the tyres comes into the problem ,they reckon 5 years to 7 years to change the tyre on motorhomes cos of the standing in one place causes pressure on the walls etc ,

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having seen what 2 years in sunlight did to our new top caravan lock, aging it by years, we have used both caravan/motorhome covers & wheel covers whenever not in use. Using a cover on the motorhome saves degradation of body work & silicone & keeps it clean ready to use so although a bit of effort overall saves time & work.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Having seen what 2 years in sunlight did to our new top caravan lock, aging it by years, we have used both caravan/motorhome covers & wheel covers whenever not in use. Using a cover on the motorhome saves degradation of body work & silicone & keeps it clean ready to use so although a bit of effort overall saves time & work.

Yes, and takes the paint off where it touches the sides during windy weather, and they have been known to scratch windows.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Don't agree that covers do damage - used various ones for 5 years in all kinds of weather including extreme wind & no damage to caravan. Covers can get damaged by sharp bits (like reversing camera) so best to put foam pipe lagging or similar over these under the cover. Perhaps years ago they might have done more harm than good but modern multi layer breathable covers with straps & elasticated bottom are really good. Have tried various makes but Maypole caravan/motorhome covers the best we have found so far -

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've traveled the world over, to some of the hottest and sunniest places on Earth and never seen any sort of tyre covered up.

Yet in Blighty, one of the dullest places on the planet, folk are panicking :D

Some sports car tyres are over a grand each, yet have you ever seen any covered up? Even in very hot and sunny countries ?

Keep things in perspective :D

The UV rays are far more damaging to skin than tyres, yet we do sometimes go outside if we are feeling very brave :D

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Just a thought from a (newbie), how long do tyres last when driven regularly? Say 10,000 miles a year.
And if they last say 3/4 years at that rate, does UV degrading occur that quick?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The UV rays are far more damaging to skin than tyres,.........

you mean you have actually had a tyre roll over your face ...:eek::eek:

put sun cream on your tyres is the answer.. :LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just a thought from a (newbie), how long do tyres last when driven regularly? Say 10,000 miles a year.
And if they last say 3/4 years at that rate, does UV degrading occur that quick?

it starts as soon as the tyre is fitted .. hence the reason tyre manufacturers advise storing tyres in dark cool places..

ones destined for sunny climates may be wrapped .. here is a machine that does it http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Automatic-truck-tyre-packing-machine-widely_621873154.html

Broken Link Removed

lots of vans don't do anything like 10k a year.. average is probably less than 5k.. so tyres 7 , 8 or even 10 years old can be seen on vans..

Deleted User
I would have thought vehicles in regular use anywhere would not get their tyres covered. When I park the van up for several months I cover the tyres, when I am moving I don't, takes a few minutes. I don't use fancy expensive covers, some simple made up ones that get replaced when they fall apart, no expert but.....
I've traveled the world over, to some of the hottest and sunniest places on Earth and never seen any sort of tyre covered up.

Yet in Blighty, one of the dullest places on the planet, folk are panicking :D

Some sports car tyres are over a grand each, yet have you ever seen any covered up? Even in very hot and sunny countries ?

Keep things in perspective :D

The UV rays are far more damaging to skin than tyres, yet we do sometimes go outside if we are feeling very brave :D

I would tend to listen to the advice of people who know what they are talking about and the trade advice rather than the assumption that because it is not done in hot countries where they probably run the tyres off the rim anyway then it must be OK.

I also protect myself:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having had 2 blowouts on a RV in a matter of weeks several years ago, I contacted Michelin Stoke and took the offending tyres to them for testing. Guess what there getout clause was. Since then have always covered tyres when in the sun. As a matter of fact am in 30 in the shade now and if the tyres were not covered you would not be able to put your hand on them. I even know some that think it does no harm to dump grey water wherever they like and some who think everything they throw on the ground is bio degradable. I think I will stick to what tyre manufacturers recommend regarding tyre care and leave the sceptics to do as they think is best.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As the OP I thought I would come back again. Thanks to most of you that have tried to help me. UV degradation causes problems on tyres - simple fact. Just try Google or Wikipedia (as I have said before) if you don't believe me. But if you don't want to that won't worry me a bit. It's a free country and some people still think the Sun revolves around the earth (as well as shining out of certain orifices).

However this takes place over a number of years. The tyres on my motorhome were 6 years old, and yet have only done 15,000 miles (5,000 in the last year since I have had it). So plenty of thread left (8mm on back). But the UV light has caused them to start cracking badly on the side nearest the sun. But for normal mileage vehicles the tyres would have been replaced because of tread wear, long before the UV degradation causes any problems. That is why I do not suggest putting a cover over your car's tyres.

By the way, I will be buying the wheel covers when I am in the USA. Cheap as chips and good reviews.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Has anyone checked for sidewall cracking on the inside of MH tyres?

.......if the insides (no sun) were better/worse, perhaps there might be an answer

Any tyre fitters/MOT inspectors on here have a view?

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
My view on this from Australia.....
The best way to protect plastics (tyres are 'plastic') from UV attack is to include a UV inhibitor in the plastic compound. One of the most common and effective UV inhibitors is carbon black (but only used for black parts).

Tyres are LOADED with carbon black and should be well protected from UV degradation for at least 20 years, even when exposed to full sun.

Plastics are also loaded with plasticisers. These are complex materials that make and keep flexible materials flexible. Tyres have lots of these too.
Unfortunately, plasticisers leach out of the material, slowly, with time. Increased heat increases the rate of leaching.

The other thing that does attack tyres is ozone. This is a gas and short of wrapping the tyre in a gas proof coat (like some new tyres are) it is almost impossible to protect them, once fitted or once 'un wrapped'.
The inside of a tyre (once fitted) is quite well protected against ozone of course, because it is sealed to new supplies.

So tyre life is mostly about time and I have the view that once they are about 7 or 8 years old, they are past their safe use by date.

Covering them up might give you another week or two on that.... :)

Cheers,
Peter

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
What contrary views we have expressed about this matter. Surely we can agree that the UV does or does not damage tyres over time. OK? In that case how hard is it to cover the tyres? All you've lost is a little time, but you may find there is a benefit to covering.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What contrary views we have expressed about this matter. Surely we can agree that the UV does or does not damage tyres over time. OK? In that case how hard is it to cover the tyres? All you've lost is a little time, but you may find there is a benefit to covering.
Yes indeed. Do we believe the tyre makers and the AA, or some of the funsters posting here?

I know who my money is on.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've been meaning to get some for a while, definitely before I replace all the old rubber which has turned almost light grey in the UV (no cracking yet, fortunately). It seems hard to buy ready made ones in the UK, so I went for amazon.com, which now has a fantastic scheme for shipping from the USA at excellent rates and handling all customs/taxes. I used it before for getting some US specific RV plumbing and it works really well. Went for these in the end:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There are millions of vehicles around the world, in far hotter places than the UK

I've never seen any of them with tyres covered up.

My bike tyres get to 60 c on track with no problems

Its not the temp its ultra violet rays i believe. Tube came through the wall of my bike tyre which i never used to cover up and rubber gaiters on bike suspention perished badly in two years of Spanish sun. Now cover bikes and van tyres up. BUSBY.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes indeed. Do we believe the tyre makers and the AA, or some of the funsters posting here?

I know who my money is on.

This is a bump and a half peter but when we were looking over our current van at Morans in Ludlow, Roger Moran pointed out crazing on all four tyres even though the van had only done 900 miles, Mrs BB and me hadn't even noticed, doh. That's UV damage says he and then replaced them all with Conti Camper tyres. We bought the van the next day. Say no more!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
When I'm not intending to use the old girl for a bit I chuck some covers over her to keep the elements off, and normally jack up her rear end to ease the weight as she is a bit loaded; Anyway that's enough about the Missis.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't cover my tyres, though I appreciate the reasons for doing so, however;

When I'm not using it my van is in storage, facing North in a corner with a 10ft wall. The next door motorhome is only about 3ft away so no direct sunlight ever reaches the tyres.
When I park on a site I always have my awning facing south(ish) so again there is little direct sunlight on the tyres.
On aires there is less choice of where to park, but if full the tyres are shaded by adjacent motorhomes.
The tyres probably get the most sun when moving and there's not much I can do about that.

I wouldn't want to carry anything heavy to cover them. Would a bin liner work?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back