Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
camping tyres have a reinforced sidewall to cope with rigours of the constant 'close to limit' loading...nothing more.

white vans spend a reasonable amount of time empty....motorhomes dont.

Your point being?
If you've got a van buy van tyres.
If you've got a motor home buy motor home tyres.
As close to the limit loading and the fact that my vans seldom empty means I need ?
I know what I buy,but its a personal thing,as is where I park and what I do with my waste water! ::bigsmile:

Do what suits you and what you feel happy with! :thumb:

vlad

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Tyre compounds

My local tyre fitter (200 tyres a day for 30 years) tells me the compounds are different so that they don't deteriorate over time due to UV rays.
My mate's van has three new sets every year, my 2009 van had the rears with only 3mm wear in four years.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
My local tyre fitter (200 tyres a day for 30 years) tells me the compounds are different so that they don't deteriorate over time due to UV rays.
My mate's van has three new sets every year, my 2009 van had the rears with only 3mm wear in four years.

hi there,wow that is some tyre depot doing 200 tyres a day:winky:the compounds with be slightly different but that definately wont stop them deteriorating in the suns uv light.the main difference is as john says in the construction of the tyre,the camping tyres being much more robust in the sidewall to compensate for the rolling of the motorhome and the weight that is carried.it is correct that any 8ply commercial van tyre can be fitted to a motor home as long as it is carrying the correct load and speed indices.it is down to peoples preference and budget.my personal preferance would be to fit camping tyres.also whatever tyre is fitted ALWAYS make sure that a high pressure valve is fitted and not an ordinary snap in car valve.in my opinion never run tyres on a motorhome that are older than 7yrs,even if they look mint condition they WILL have internal deterioration.
brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have just put 'van' tyres on our MH. It had 'van' tyres from the factory too!

Having camper tyres is a waste of money on our van due to the fact we have dual rear wheels. Plus it would be a nightmare finding a camping m+s tyre!!!!!!

65 psi front, 48 psi rear. The tyres are a long way from their load limits!:Smile:

Last edited:

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Tyres, again

Yes 200 was a rather far fetched figure, I based it on the sales while I was waiting, 12 in the first half hour, but it was Saturday morning and he does all the local taxis. They have cheap Chinese linglongs or primewells, he wouldn't fit them to his car but his place is full of them. I am a bit fastidious about tyres, winter and summer for the xj and cooper s, £330 a tyre for the jag! My old land rover has three sets and spares, road, off road and winter. It looks like a tyre depot behind my shed.
I now somehow have four spares for the camper, how did that happen?

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
The possibility of a tyre blowout is something that always concerns me which is why I have installed a TyrePal system.

This system will give prior warning in the cab while on the move of a blowout in most cases. It monitors both tyre pressure and temperature which are the main causes of failure if the tyres are generally in good condition.

Certainly in this case TyrePal I'm sure would have warned of overheating.

Having said that Jim's flashing do da's are brilliant, but don't warn if you pick up a slow puncture on the move.
having fitted thos system yesturday it was reading great went to van this morning and no readings do you have to start sriving for it to start working again ?

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
In this life you get what you pay for :Doh:!!! I only use Michelin Camping Tyres fitted by a friendly and competent fitter with a café across the road !!:thumb:

Guess what ??? It's in Oswestry !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Thanks, BrianJoJosh !!!

This kind of post is not very helpful from an individual as there is no information as to what other tyres and how many other makes of tyres you have ever tried.

Giving a thumbs up for tyres you have always used is great.

Giving a thumbs down for all other makes you have never tried is not realistic and definitely not very helpful.

Many manufacturers (such as Volkswagen) fit other makes of tyres to their motorhomes without any problems.

However I would not fit cheap tyres of unknown quality to my van - life is too precious.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Tyre pressure warning indicators are great. I have the system on my car. Last year it triggered, and though the tyre looked fine when i pulled over to check, i found later ( checking the presssure with cold tyres) that my front NS tyre had lost a couple of PSI. Couldn't see any damage, so adjusted the pressure, reset the system and all was well for a few days. Then the same thing again. Just a couple of PSI down. Took car to tyre depot. Up on the ramp it turned out I'd picked up a nail on the inside part of the tyre which I'd never have been able to see from normal car/van checks. Basically these systems are sensitive, and they do work very efficiently. I didn't know about Tyrepal, but will now look at fitting it to my R10.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
having fitted thos system yesturday it was reading great went to van this morning and no readings do you have to start sriving for it to start working again ?

The whole system including the valve "caps" goes into sleep mode soon after you stop moving and will wake-up when you drive off.

The dash display unit will also wake-up with an annoying beep sometimes when a door is slammed shut unless you switch it off.

Tyre pressure warning indicators are great. I have the system on my car. Last year it triggered, and though the tyre looked fine when i pulled over to check, i found later ( checking the presssure with cold tyres) that my front NS tyre had lost a couple of PSI. Couldn't see any damage, so adjusted the pressure, reset the system and all was well for a few days. Then the same thing again. Just a couple of PSI down. Took car to tyre depot. Up on the ramp it turned out I'd picked up a nail on the inside part of the tyre which I'd never have been able to see from normal car/van checks. Basically these systems are sensitive, and they do work very efficiently. I didn't know about Tyrepal, but will now look at fitting it to my R10.

When I picked up a fast puncture recently my TyrePal reacted very quickly to tell me I had a leak and was 2psi down and very soon after that showed another 2psi loss and carried on like that until I stopped .... the tyre was completely flat within 5 minutes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back