Tyre age. (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Help required please. I have paid the deposit & pick up the mh 1st August, full amount required by tomorrow (saturday). Been to have another look at mh today to check it over again & realised one tyre has a made date on of 04, could not see a date on the other 3, have mentioned to the salesman who said the new mot should pick it up. If not picked up by mot what should i do? Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Refuse to buy it unless they replace the tyres, simple as that. If the MOT station is worth their salt they'll pick it up anyway, if they don't then I'd insist on another MOT at a station of your choice and you might find it's not just the tyres that need attention.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would say that is not acceptable, check the other tyres for dates, tyre tread and cracking around the tyres themselves, if your not happy get them to replace them. We have just yesterday replaced (Michelin Camping tyres ÂŁ120 each ) only 4 years old very low mileage with new tyres, so a 2004 tyre would seem unacceptable to me.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Refuse to buy it unless they replace the tyres, simple as that. If the MOT station is worth their salt they'll pick it up anyway, if they don't then I'd insist on another MOT at a station of your choice and you might find it's not just the tyres that need attention.

Sadly I don't think the actual age of a tyre figures in the MOT test, just apparent condition & type.
Its totally wrong & a national disgrace. Very often tyres are a few years old before they're even fitted to a vehicle, now that's ok as long as they've been stored properly, but makes it impossible for owners to know how safe they actually are?

So come on Britain, its time to grasp the nettle & make these safety critical items fit for purpose.(y)

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Help required please. I have paid the deposit & pick up the mh 1st August, full amount required by tomorrow (saturday). Been to have another look at mh today to check it over again & realised one tyre has a made date on of 04, could not see a date on the other 3, have mentioned to the salesman who said the new mot should pick it up. If not picked up by mot what should i do? Thanks.
Just Google " recommended tyre age " and you will get your answer ... print off some copies and take to dealer.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Tyres are up there for safety , weight , road holding , braking , etc etc . Bizarre how a mot is so lax to do with tyres even cracking on side walls I think do not give you a failure only maybe an advisory . I have had several panel vans this is my first PVC but tyres i don't shirk on .

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
After being in the Trade for a quite a few years and being able to identify tyres by their age stamp, I was a bit surprised when I had tyres fitted recently. One tyre had 0815 and the other had 0917 so one was old and the other wasn't even made according to the date. Obviously I complained and got them changed.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
After being in the Trade for a quite a few years and being able to identify tyres by their age stamp, I was a bit surprised when I had tyres fitted recently. One tyre had 0815 and the other had 0917 so one was old and the other wasn't even made according to the date. Obviously I complained and got them changed.
0917 is the ninth week of 2017 so it was correct.
personally the dates dont worry me if the tyre is ok its ok.
i know i have tyres fitted in 2008 on mine and still ok.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
recently purchased a nine year old motorhome and after the deposit had been paid I rang up and asked how old the tyres were , they checked and told me ten years old ! . I said I wanted them changing but they were not keen. In the end they agreed but reduced my nine months warranty down to six and wouldn't supply a spare wheel and tyre as promised . when I picked up the motorhome I checked the new tyres and they were manufactured nearly two years ago.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
0917 is the ninth week of 2017 so it was correct.
personally the dates dont worry me if the tyre is ok its ok.
i know i have tyres fitted in 2008 on mine and still ok.
Keep a very close eye on them. Years ago I had a caravan that had its original 10 years old) tyres on them. I never gave dates a thought but I was pretty thorough about checking them for cracks / nails / sidewall damage. The tread lifted after hitting a mild pot-hole. I only noticed vibration once onto the nearby motorway & stopped to see what it was. By the time I got to the next services after travelling ten miles at under 30mph around half the circumference had lifted.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Keep a very close eye on them. Years ago I had a caravan that had its original 10 years old) tyres on them. I never gave dates a thought but I was pretty thorough about checking them for cracks / nails / sidewall damage. The tread lifted after hitting a mild pot-hole. I only noticed vibration once onto the nearby motorway & stopped to see what it was. By the time I got to the next services after travelling ten miles at under 30mph around half the circumference had lifted.
i was a tyre fitter for awhile . actually i put the spare on last year its dated as a 2002 tyre . i have two spares for my trailer and decided i had better use them . cant waste a good tyre . shall be having two new tyres as spare wheel and tyres soon . as i,m going abroad i might take two other new tyres with me as certainly dont want to buy tyres in the eu . they rip you off . changing tyres is easy and i can pump them up off my air compressor for the brakes .
mind some vintage cars trucks etc have tyres older than some of us on here .
one of my motor bikes still has tyres on it from new 16 yrs ago . not worn out or perished yet.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't think there's an age limitation on tyres at MOT. There are recommendations but nice statutory failure because of age, just condition

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The tyres on my tractor (which is never used on road) are looking in need of replacement. But they are 22 years old :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MOT will NOT pick up on tyre age, only condition.
There is no legal requirement as to how old a tyre can be.
As usual, the salesman hopes you don't have a clue and simply accept what they say.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

That's WEEK 9, not month 9.
If it hadn't been made yet it would have something like 3617...week 36 of 2017.

Oppps, Alan beat to it.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Random age and tyres on my mh when i bought it , changed all six straight away . I know what im rolling on .

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I bought our Moho Easter 16 and while in Wales last month enjoying the sun sat by Moho I noticed rear tyres looked cracked.

I took it fairly steady on the way home and got them replaced straight away. It turned out they were made 2007 on an 09 Moho.

The worst bit was there were bulges in the inside wall of the tyre!!!!!!!!!!

What really annoyed me was it had An Mot at a local garage and a full service at a main dealer two months before and neither noticed or bothered to tell me. Great

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back