Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I am thinking of getting an automatic satellite TV system (static use only) for my campervan which is based on the LWB Renault Master.I intend to fit it myself. On this van I have fitted a new roof vent over the bed, a solar panel system and electric step so I should have no problems with the fitting. I also know how to remove the inner roof lining of my van.

I have two free areas 70 x 140 and 60 x 130 cm available to site the "dish".

The area closest to the top of the wardrobe housing the MH electrical controls is also closest to the solar panel and thus more likely to put shadows over it. The other area is father away from both of them, just behind the front Heki, but will complicate the wiring.

I have several questions

1. What are the significant differences, if any, in use and signal quality of the dish, the dome and the square/rectangular/diamond shaped aerial?
2. Some of these types are much more expensive than others. Do you really get so much more for the extra money from choosing a certain type?
3. What types are the most reliable? The dome is fully covered but is higher when not in use.
3. What are the best makes to buy and from where
4. How would I fit it to the roof of my van taking into account the fact that the roof is ridged? I am considering fitting either a flat aluminum plate across the ridges and then gluing.screwing the dish to this plate or fitting two bars across the ridges to support the dish. The latter is probably better.

As you can see I don't want much in the way of help!!!!

However from past experience I hope to get a large amount of useful information from all of you out there.

Thanks in advance.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO you definatly dont get more for your money with automatic dishes...you get more problems.
I have both types,an Oyster on the RV and a Kathrein manual on the VW.
Have had various manual through the roof systems in the past on numerous campers and if I knew what I know now I would never have invested in the auto system.
Once you have got used to setting up the manual system,it can be done quicker than it takes the auto to find a sat.
In my book they are not worth ÂŁ1000 more.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks in advance.

All I can chip in is Size Matters.

Nip up here to Cheshire and look at Jodrell Bank - it's big. Pick up some binoculars, the big ones are the brightest. In other words the more signal you can gather the better the reception either through light tree cover, way down south or in heavy rain.

I suspect these covered dishes, which can only have small dishes inside use the best LNB to boost the signal to make it acceptable. But put this same LNB on a decent plain dish and you are on a winner.

So if I were buying I'd be buying a mechanically simple crank up and specify the best LNB to fit to it. KISS.

LNB = Low Noise Block, it's actually a very well engineered receiver that got a stupid name somewhere along the line. I guess Stage One Polarised Receiver Down Converter And Line Driver SOPRDCALD is not as easy as LNB.

PS
Since posting this reply I notice not one but TWO threads on automatic dishes giving the owners a hard time. Nuff said !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
NETA

I am thinking of getting an automatic satellite TV system (static use only) for my campervan which is based on the LWB Renault Master.I intend to fit it myself. On this van I have fitted a new roof vent over the bed, a solar panel system and electric step so I should have no problems with the fitting. I also know how to remove the inner roof lining of my van.

I have two free areas 70 x 140 and 60 x 130 cm available to site the "dish".

The area closest to the top of the wardrobe housing the MH electrical controls is also closest to the solar panel and thus more likely to put shadows over it. The other area is father away from both of them, just behind the front Heki, but will complicate the wiring.

I have several questions

1. What are the significant differences, if any, in use and signal quality of the dish, the dome and the square/rectangular/diamond shaped aerial?
2. Some of these types are much more expensive than others. Do you really get so much more for the extra money from choosing a certain type?
3. What types are the most reliable? The dome is fully covered but is higher when not in use.
3. What are the best makes to buy and from where
4. How would I fit it to the roof of my van taking into account the fact that the roof is ridged? I am considering fitting either a flat aluminum plate across the ridges and then gluing.screwing the dish to this plate or fitting two bars across the ridges to support the dish. The latter is probably better.

As you can see I don't want much in the way of help!!!!

However from past experience I hope to get a large amount of useful information from all of you out there.

Thanks in advance.

My two penny worth............. I have a NETA dome sat that is automatic. Only daws power when it sets up which is fast. I have been using it for a year now and so far no problems. I have used it in the South of France again with good receiption and I use free to air so I have a lot of channels to look at. Van Bitz fitted it.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back