LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"I did look up to your Burstner once - it was parked on top of a bonfire in early November....... :LOL:"

For Gods sake, don't bring religious persecution into this argument;)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Too many years ago to think about I was speaking to a lady librarian in my home town. The library was a place I used regularly and I was on speaking terms with all of the staff there.
This particular lady had the most lovely soft Northern Irish accent and during a chat with her I made what I thought a casual off the cuff comment about her beautiful "Hibernian accent " (the actual words used)
The lady's face instantly clouded over and her smiley face disappeared and she abruptly cut the conversation short and walked away.
On a couple of subsequent visits this lady's demeanor changed towards me. She was curt and unsmiling. However on a further subsequent visit she approached me and stated to me that I had upset and insulted her and her family. She went on to tell me that all her family had served in the Armed Services for King, Queen and Country and she thought my previous comments made towards her derogatory.
Now, what I didn't know as a North Country yokel was that the term 'Hibernian' means different things to different people. To me it meant 'Irish'. To the Librarian it meant just one step down from being a member of the IRA. I had totally unintentionally abused this lady but it still made me cry at the thought that I had done so.

SWMBO has just sat down beside me and read the contents of this comment and even she didn't know. Thats how much the above affected me at the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

1. Racists are not victims
2. I do not require " Jim " to be the arbiter of who is or isn't racist or what is or isn't racist , I'm well capable of deciding that for myself
3. Exposing people who have not got the merest courage of their own convictions is not bullying
maybe you should read the forum rules again before posting?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There is a CB500X forum where the members from all over the world are even more polite and friendly then FUN, believe it or not. It's really interesting to read that in any country we all feel exactly the same about biking. It's good to see videos from other countries, Thailand, they drive on the right, is one glorious place though hot and wet so very very green.

One guy from California was using a neat app that plotted his progress as he rode right across to Florida. There are a couple about to do America from Alaska to Tiera del Fuego. Not bad for a cheapo 500. One of them must be called Rory.

Done Thailand on a bike fantastic country lovely people and some amazing roads. One called The Road of a Thousand Bends crosses three mountains ah bliss.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I'm not that observant, no really. A new registra joined the gang at the hospital I worked at and after clinic in the staff room I was asked what nationality he was, all I knew was he had a broad Yorks accent. He turned out to be an Indian Asian or as he said Yorkshire born and bred. But I swear to God in the staff room that day I hadn't noticed. I suppose if you work with a variety of nationalities everyone looks alike in the end.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm half cut................I hope this does not offend anyone............

Tinca
Yes, it damn well offends me! :mad: Mind you I'm stone cold sober so that's why. :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I talked to a guy on the phone most days through work at a suppliers in Leeds, lad called Dave with a very broad Yorkshire accent, one day they cocked up on a delivery and he offered to bring it over to Bolton. What a shock I had when he turned up, hell of a tan with a turban not a flat cap! I mentioned this and we had a laugh about it, his grandad came over in the early sixties so he was second generation born in Leeds. :LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I mentioned this and we had a laugh about it

Sure as hell someone will rise up and say that is racist.

Which technically it is, you made an issue out of the colour of his skin and his headgear. Why laugh about it.

I'm just playing devils advocate, no need to reply.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
At what point is it racism or just a joke?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We once went to look at a motorhome that a dealer had just got in.....they said it had belonged to an Indian family the inside was trashed needless to say we didn't buy it..

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Unfortunately the era of P.C. ( Political Claptrap ) has ushered in the inability to have an old fashioned laugh with no one getting offended.

I can't remember who it was, maybe John Cleese or Sir David Jason or some such comedy genius, stating that P.C. has killed off the British sense of humour - or words to that effect.

The permanently offended brigade would have probably not found Alf Garnett remotely funny. . .

I'm 57 & as a child I don't remember any of my parents' many non white / non British / English friends ever being offended by friendly banter regarding their skin colour or religion & although I'm English, I suntan extremely well, yet I've never taken offence at the many digs about my possible nationality over the years.

One of the funniest moments I've ever witnessed was at a Lenny Henry show in Richmond, Surrey about 10 years ago where his first utterance in a darkened theatre was . . . . are there any white people in tonight ?

The whole place erupted in genuine laughter.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I talked to a guy on the phone most days through work at a suppliers in Leeds, lad called Dave with a very broad Yorkshire accent, one day they cocked up on a delivery and he offered to bring it over to Bolton. What a shock I had when he turned up, hell of a tan with a turban not a flat cap! I mentioned this and we had a laugh about it, his grandad came over in the early sixties so he was second generation born in Leeds. :LOL:
I used to go up to Bradford up to 5 years ago to see me mum, and all the Asian taxi drivers spoke with a broad Yorkshire accent and complained about the "bloody Polish" coming over and taking all the jobs

:clap2:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At what point is it racism or just a joke?
My Indian mate used to say there's a difference between stereotypical humour and racist humour. If I ever got a text joke that was a but iffy, I'd send it to him before I passed it on. He'd tell me to just change one or 2 words to take out the offence, but keep the humour :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Surely just African decent? African American is a PC term invented by white PC liberals.

It reminds me of the story of Nelson Mandela being interviewed by a female American journalist who asked him his opinion on something or other as an African American. His response: "My dear, I'm not an American" It completely confused the journalist. She understand his point at all.

I was trying to avoid saying black...

PC and all that...

That said ... There are French folk that are "not white"...

It's a f3kkin nightmare trying not to offend these days...

Not that I assume that you @NickNic were offened... :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sure as hell someone will rise up and say that is racist.

Which technically it is, you made an issue out of the colour of his skin and his headgear. Why laugh about it.

I'm just playing devils advocate, no need to reply.
Actually my first comment was regionist, I asked him where his flat cap and whippet were. :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I was trying to avoid saying black...

PC and all that...

That said ... There are French folk that are "not white"...

It's a f3kkin nightmare trying not to offend these days...

Not that I assume that you @NickNic were offened... :)
I think African African, Jamaica Jamaican would be OK. (y):LOL:

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Right, let's get this straight.... I've been driving all day so have just caught up with this. Bottle? So "pappajohn" suggesting that there are few non white motorhomers because it would be too close to their roots is not racist? I beg to differ from the bottom of my heart. There is plenty of racism to be found among the many "immigrant" debates/comments/remarks to be found on this website. It also seems, Graham, that because I find some of your comments to be offensive, that that makes me a troll...... I am not and never have been a troll... Also, like Jim, we also resent being called "freeloaders" because we wild camp as much as possible. Who are you to set yourselves up in judgement of wild campers? I/we have never had such a problem on any other website, and I'm on a few. I suggest you go down to the storage compound and drool over the others' vans and leave us fulltime wild campers to do it for real. Maybe it's a generational thing; I believe a lot of institutionalised racism to be so. We're leaving the site now and destroying our window sticker, which has never been posted, incidentally. I do apologise to those (majority?) non racist folk on here. Love and light, Suzy n Toby.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right, let's get this straight.... I've been driving all day so have just caught up with this. Bottle? So "pappajohn" suggesting that there are few non white motorhomers because it would be too close to their roots is not racist? I beg to differ from the bottom of my heart. There is plenty of racism to be found among the many "immigrant" debates/comments/remarks to be found on this website. It also seems, Graham, that because I find some of your comments to be offensive, that that makes me a troll...... I am not and never have been a troll... Also, like Jim, we also resent being called "freeloaders" because we wild camp as much as possible. Who are you to set yourselves up in judgement of wild campers? I/we have never had such a problem on any other website, and I'm on a few. I suggest you go down to the storage compound and drool over the others' vans and leave us fulltime wild campers to do it for real. Maybe it's a generational thing; I believe a lot of institutionalised racism to be so. We're leaving the site now and destroying our window sticker, which has never been posted, incidentally. I do apologise to those (majority?) non racist folk on here. Love and light, Suzy n Toby.
If you feel so strong about all these things why not stay and argue your case.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think some people do not know what racism is.................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back