Tying down a scooter (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are about to start carrying a scooter on a Hydra trail unit.

In the past we carried a lightweight motorbike on a tow bar mounted rack.

With the m/b we used handlebar straps and two ratchet straps, one attached to each side of the pillion grab rail to keep the bike vertical.

The scooter has a moulded grab rail with no opening to feed a strap through.

My query is......

How to secure the rear end of the scooter in a vertical position?

There s a large securing arm that goes over the seat but I feel that additional strapping may be needed.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just put a ratchet strap straight over from side to side. Don't rely on the securing arm I've had bike fall over relying on those.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Shell Island 211016 (3).JPG

Is your Hydra trail like this one? If so, after securing the arm over the bike we attach a ratchet strap to either side of the struts between the tow bar and the hydra trail making sure they go round the front rail of the hydra trail rail and then over the rubber on each wheel of the bike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 147344
Is your Hydra trail like this one? If so, after securing the arm over the bike we attach a ratchet strap to either side of the struts between the tow bar and the hydra trail making sure they go round the front rail of the hydra trail rail and then over the rubber on each wheel of the bike.
I thought the "Hydra Trail" had wheels? or has somebody nicked yours.

Martin

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
View attachment 147344
Thanks for the response.

The scooter is almost identical in shape, a Honda PCX125.

What you suggest is probably exactly what we need but I don't fully understand your description.

Do you use "tyredown" type straps over the tyre or just ratchet straps? If so how do you avoid the strap slipping down the circumference of the tyre and is the attachment point high enough to steady the scooter?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just put a ratchet strap straight over from side to side. Don't rely on the securing arm I've had bike fall over relying on those.
Yes, so have we.

A ratchet strap over the seat stopped the bike coming off but it was leaning outwards, dangerously, when a van flagged us down to warn us.

Having learned that lesson the hard way we are a bit anxious to get it right this time. We also have a rear view camera this time so we can keep an eye on things.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
when i had my hydratrail with the wheels, the first bike i carried had no side rails so i used a piece of foam and put over the back with a strap going over the top. Worked for me going to and from South of Spain :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
[/QUOTE] The scooter is almost identical in shape, a Honda PCX125.

What you suggest is probably exactly what we need but I don't fully understand your description.

Do you use "tyredown" type straps over the tyre or just ratchet straps? If so how do you avoid the strap slipping down the circumference of the tyre and is the attachment point high enough to steady the scooter?[/QUOTE]
Will ask husband to draw a picture and post it on here. Can't take a photo 'cos van in dealers at the moment having a bit of work done.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Yes, so have we.

A ratchet strap over the seat stopped the bike coming off but it was leaning outwards, dangerously, when a van flagged us down to warn us.

Having learned that lesson the hard way we are a bit anxious to get it right this time. We also have a rear view camera this time so we can keep an eye on things.
Here is a description/drawing of how we ratchet our bike. Hope it's helpful.

bike rack strap.jpg

Harco

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Atherstone
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
20 yrs
Hi
Just read your concerns on strapping down.
I carry a 250cc scooter on my trailer and ensure it's strapped down well.
At the front I strap the wheel to the trailer. This helps to stop the wheel jumping out of the main track.
I then put a strap across the scooter body. This stops the scooter rolling back, and keeps it upright. You must not strap from the handlebars, as can get damaged with to much pressure.
The rear wheel of the scooter is strapped to the main body as per front.
My scooter has side grab rails to the rear seat, and this is where I feed my strap through both sides, so as to keep the scooter upright and secure.
I have found this successful, and have traveled many miles.
Hope this helps

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I also use ratchet straps from back of of rack over seat and to a bracket fastened to rear door also on front and back wheels around bottom of rims and around rack.Also I put a security chain around bike and rack/towbar so nobody gets any idea of taking it off !Rear view camera (dual) so I can keep an eye on whats going on.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Harco
We have always use handlebar straps as these can be adjusted in order to keep the bike upright. However, we use the Oxford product which does not have ratchets, therefore it is difficult to overtension them causing damage to the handlebars.

We also lash the front wheel into the holder.

Having read the above posts we will also strap directly over the seat and down to the trailer.

Knowing Mrs Maison there will also be several other straps too, " just in case".

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a close look at recovery vehicles, they only strap the wheels and are very secure. I have always strapped our bikes round the headstock as well and put slight pressure on the suspension not at the outer ends. There has always been handles or racks at the rear to fasten too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If I wanted to tie down Scooter I would thread some string between his ears.

download.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back