Two Questions (1 Viewer)

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
We collect our new MH (Compass Avantgarde 200) on the 19th Oct. We are getting very excited, and having lots of things to still sort out. One question relates to 'sleeping':

The MH we are getting has got the U shaped seating at the back and no permenant bed.
"Do most MH'ers tend to use sleeping bags, or do you tend to make abed up every night with under sheets and a duvet?"

The second question relates to parking when 'travelling through' towns.
"When wishing to stop and simply 'see the sights', where do most MH'ers park?" I do have a Disabilty Blue Badge, so I know thats usable in Europe, but have only ever driven a car round Europe so far.

Happy Travels

Adge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Adge,

we mostly use sleeping bags and use the two couches seperately....as singles....unless, well, ya know!!!!!:winky:

you will nearly always find somewhere to park in towns.

barrierless carparks, park and rides and even on street parking but check any signs for weight/size restrictions.

just ensure you fit within any marked bays or the chances are you'll get a ticket.

around the edge is usually best as you can reverse the overhang over the verge/grass.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if travelling long term i find most leave the bed down and use sheets duvet.
as for parking just park like you would a car. depends what time of year but i always find a place /carpark .could be 3or 4 of us it gets abit harder then. push bike small m,bike usefull to sight see. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
We have a U shaped lounge, but the bench part is long enough for it to be used as singles. I bought sleeping bags and managed to use them once. Hated them. So bought some very light goose down ones from Tesco. Use a fleecy type blanket underneath. The sleeping bags weighed double the duvets.

Parking can sometimes be a problem due to the size. But we tend to find some where. My main concern when ours was new was whether it would be there when I got back:Doh:. Needless to say it was.

Park in a place that is easy to get out of, particularly in busy, tight spots be aware of your turning circle.

regards

Karen

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
hi, the date is getting closer and closer - good innit.

sleeping - we use sleeping bags and also tempur foam type roll mattress topping - the beds are getting a little too hard at our age
some people seem to go for duvets etc, and when we had an A class we did use a mattress topper and duvet and left the bed made up
we have 'proper' mummy 4 season bags for emergency but just use light 2-3 season bags which will also zip up to form double if required. Quite often just sleep under rather than in them in summer
everybody seems to have a slightly different solution and sleeping properly and comfortably in bags can take some getting used to

parking - depends on the size of van, we also have blue badge, can usually find somewhere much easier in mainland europe than in the uk - often tend to go for P+R here

don't forget to flash the badge at Peages on the French Autoroutes, it knocks you down at least one Class on most of them

where are you off to first?????????????

:Cool:

PS - if 'making up a bed, strongly recommend you do so before you go to the pub

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
our u-shaped lounge is permanently made up as a bed using sheets and a duvet (also have a normal spring interior mattress over the cushions, can't be too comfortable can you), we lounge on it to watch TV or sit on it to eat; even though we also have a central dinette, making the bed up is a pain in the back. We park anyplace there is space, not fussy, and use the blue badge occasionally. Happy travels

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We went down the sleeping bag route, but couldn't really get on with them.:Sad:
We now use Raskelf mattress toppers with sheets and a duvet.::bigsmile:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We use king size sleeping bags:thumb: Memory foam topper takes out all the gaps and beading on the cushions, well comfy:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
where are you off to first?????????????
:Cool:
PS - if 'making up a bed, strongly recommend you do so before you go to the pub

Well, we will have 3 or 4 nights away soon after getting the MH so as to get use to it, and thats probably Cornwall. But come December 18th, we are off to Europe, to France, through Belgium, Holland, Germany, into Denmark, and then come back again 2 weeks later.

No doubt the bed making hint will be needed on the journey home as we will be hitting the beer and wine stores so as to bring our 'booty' back home with us. :Cool:

Just to add, "We love MHF, everyone is so friendly and full of willingness to offer help and advice, and no one seems to judge when a daft question is asked"

Keep smiling folks.

Adge

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We use a sleeping bag unzipped as a sheet and then a goose down dovuet in the winter or a sheet or lightweight dovuet in the summer if its hot. Takes seconds to make up.

Dont worry about parking especially if you have a blue badge. One thing to consider is your exit. If you park in a super market car park for example make sure you have enough room to leave should you become surrounded by cars.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Sleeping?

We have bunks and the over-cab double. So our beds are always ready for occupation.

We sleep apart (I like having the space 'up top')

I bought 2 single duvet covers per bed, sewed them together down one side. We lie on one and the other goes over the top. With a 4.5tog in one cover and a 10tog in the other we can swap them over depending on the temperature.

AND they are so easy to shove in the washer. Even the quilts

Paid about £20 per bed..... and a bit of work in the sewing.:thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
WE LEAVE OUR BENCH SEATS AND USE THEM AS SINGLES WITH A MATTRESS
TOPPER, SHEETS ,AND QUILTS THEY ARE NOT AS RESTRICTIVE AS SLEEPING BAGS :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: everbody is different thank goodness try it and make up your own mind

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i said in my other post we use doss bags.

the advantage, unless you use those stupid triangular cacoon type, is the fact you dont have to zip them up.

leave it open and sleep on one half while covering up with the other.....

that way it doesnt end up on the floor during the night.

could do the same with a double duvet but a doss bag rolls up much smaller for storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back