Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My existing leisure battery will run the TV for about 6 hours and then it all shuts down.

Partially, I think it might be past its best because it has clearly completely discharged; and partially, I think maybe 6 hours is about normal.

The battery is 13 months old and bought in Germany so any warranty issue is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

So, my question - Might it be a good idea to put another leisure battery alongside it and if I do how complicated is it to couple them up. If it is anything more complicated than unclamping the connections and putting two extra cables across then I best leave it to the experts to fix.

All help very much appreciated.

One more point, I read somewhere that leisure batteries and engine batteries are different - Is that a big deal or a red herring?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
More info on the TV will be usefull? Also what size battery?
Is it CRT or flat screen? Mains via inverter or 12v? do you know how much power it draws?

Most modern 12v TV's draw around 2to3amps so with say a 100ah battery you should have used about 20 to 30% of the battery's useful life in 6 hours providing no lights etc are on.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'll have to take a look next time I'm up at the storage yard. I know it is Avtex and it runs off 12 volt. It is 19 inch or pretty close. I think the battery is 85 AH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
One more point, I read somewhere that leisure batteries and engine batteries are different - Is that a big deal or a red herring?

Completely different animals.
Without going into the (boring) topology of each type of battery. A leisure battery is designed to give a shallow discharge curve over a long period, whereas an engine battery is designed to give a high level of discharge over a very short period - i.e a few seconds to start the engine.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have always thought that if you are running two leisure batteries they should be of the same age,or the old one will pull the other down.This is what I have done in the past.I am no expect but got two from I think called Tanya in the UK,good price and speedy delivery.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A half decent battery should last a lot more than 13 months and should never be allowed to fully discharge. This may be why it is now us. Although, it may be recoverable with an intelligent charger. And, depending on your motorhome system (?) the tv shutdown may have been to protect your battery (was there an alarm (?).
Anyhow, please find attached a couple of link's (Recently updated) which you may find helpful.
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

This link is useful for connecting 2 batteries together.
http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/

Incidently, if your going to buy some new batteries, the top rated one is 'Banner'

Pound to pinch of dog shit, someone will challenge that !
Happy trails,
Philip

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have two Trojan batteries vented to the outside, solar panel, b2b and an inverter.
Don't ask me how it all works as I havnt a clue. That's Ralph's domaine.
I just know that we never have hook up, and I can just switch things on and they work. Be it the tv, hairdryer , straighteners, Hoover etc.
We shall defiantly invest in another couple , when we get round to that bit in the new PVC Ralph's doing.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
It's true, both batteries should be the same age and capacity. As for linking them together, take care as you don't want to end up with a 24 volt system. Best you get some expert advice before you proceed, it's an easy job to do if you know how!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just backing up on what a lot have already said..
No point in adding another battery to one that could be "knackered".. Better to invest in one or two new ones..
The Avtex Tv's I think have a close down function to save wear on your battery, only seen it happen once on mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back