Two Go To Sicily (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi there - we are in Assisi tonight after an unfortunate accident yestrday when we managed to pierce and wipe out our kitchen window on a camperstop in Riccione. We had intended to stay in San Marino, but decided we didn't like it and would go to the coast. The camperstop was on a big area obviously used for a market, and we managed to collide with the end of a scaffolding pole which smashed our window and got stuck. We were rescued by a fellow motorhomer (Italian) and a local taxi driver who took Shaughan to a DIY place where he managed to get a piece of perspex cut to size and duct taped on to the aperture. Everyone was so helpful, so although we are damaged we are not planning to cut our hol short, even though we managed to lose the MFI on the same day. Life is great isn't it - full of surprises, not all of them great.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi John
We really liked Camping Breithorn, there are a few other campsites there, plus an Aire/ parking spot just up the road from the campsite.
At the back of the campsite is a footpath/bike track which will take you to the cable car. The campsite will give you a discount voucher for the cable car to Pitz Gloria too. If you’re planning on going it’s worth leaving early as it gets very busy late morning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi there - we are in Assisi tonight after an unfortunate accident yestrday when we managed to pierce and wipe out our kitchen window on a camperstop in Riccione. We had intended to stay in San Marino, but decided we didn't like it and would go to the coast. The camperstop was on a big area obviously used for a market, and we managed to collide with the end of a scaffolding pole which smashed our window and got stuck. We were rescued by a fellow motorhomer (Italian) and a local taxi driver who took Shaughan to a DIY place where he managed to get a piece of perspex cut to size and duct taped on to the aperture. Everyone was so helpful, so although we are damaged we are not planning to cut our hol short, even though we managed to lose the MFI on the same day. Life is great isn't it - full of surprises, not all of them great.
Can't give that a "like" but I'm glad you are otherwise unscathed. If you can actually glue the bit of perspex in as well, with say superglue, you should be able to maintain security. Happier travels - from now on. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi John
We really liked Camping Breithorn, there are a few other campsites there, plus an Aire/ parking spot just up the road from the campsite.
At the back of the campsite is a footpath/bike track which will take you to the cable car. The campsite will give you a discount voucher for the cable car to Pitz Gloria too. If you’re planning on going it’s worth leaving early as it gets very busy late morning
Thank you for the tip about the cable car, if this (almost mentioned the W word there) holds, the views should be good. :)

Edit: Just checked the prices - we may need a couple more CHF 100 notes. But if the (blank) holds the opportunity isn't to be missed I think. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Today we went over two passes. The first, the Oberalppass was quickly surpassed by the second, the 2224m Sustenpass. This was looking back on the way up.

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193214.jpg

We stopped for lunch at the top surrounded by snowy peaks.

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193224.jpg

The way down.

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193219.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193206.jpg

As a digression, after leaving last night's campsite (CHF 48.60 - no ACSI discount despite what the CamperContact app suggests) and before reaching the Oberalppass, we crossed over a very long dotted line on the map. This was the line of the extraordinary Gotthard Base Tunnel, the World's longest and deepest railway tunnel. Opened only in December 2016 it carries mostly freight but passenger trains zoom through at up to 250 kph. :eek:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

On the way to where we are tonight we took a side excursion to see the Eiger.

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193210.jpg

Sadly, this being the north face of the Eiger almost any photograph is going to be difficult when the sun is shining! But I am not hoping for clouds - there are better shots available on line if you want to see them. :) (and yes, I have now two bits of rubbish on my camera sensor) :(

The plan was stop at Camping Breithorn but when we we arrived everything was shut. Someone from a permanent pitch said they would return but seemed non-committal on when this would be. The toilets were closed so we headed back a couple of kilometres to Camping Jungfrau. This is not ACSI either so is going to be expensive again but it is easily the most luxurious campsite we have ever seen. There is a dishwashing machine and the toilets are so clean you could safely perform open heart surgery in them. Pizzas for £15 in the restaurant too - cheap by Swiss standards. :)

They like their waterfalls around here. The 297m Staubbach falls overlook the site.

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_193212.jpg

So taken are they with it the falls are 'luminated at night. (must take my tripod next time - resting the camera on a fence post wasn't ideal.)

LRM_EXPORT_20171012_205127.jpg

The Trümmelbach falls are within walking distance and we plan to visit these tomorrow. These are falls formed from water coming from melting glaciers and are impressive by all accounts.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As an alternative to the Trümmelbach falls we could always take the train to the Jungfraujoch, the Top of Europe as they call it. The campsite can book us tickets for the Breakfast Special which leaves at 07:37 in the morning from the nearby station in Lauterbrunnen. Only CHF 134 per person but it would be an extraordinary experience. This is the train which runs up inside the north face of the Eiger and stops at 3,466m where no doubt you can drink a very expensive cup of coffee. However, we are on holiday and 07.37 is far too early to get up. I will still be drinking my PG Tips at that hour of the day. :)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungfraujoch

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As an alternative to the Trümmelbach falls

We all remember Trummelbach a good 30 years on. They'll be 1mm deeper by now. The other sight nearby is Pitz Gloria, of Bond fame. They wouldn't sell us tickets, too cloudy they said.

At the same time I remember Zermatt, I think the only way in is by railway. Then Saas Fee, prettiest town in Switzerland ?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We all remember Trummelbach a good 30 years on. They'll be 1mm deeper by now. The other sight nearby is Pitz Gloria, of Bond fame. They wouldn't sell us tickets, too cloudy they said.

At the same time I remember Zermatt, I think the only way in is by railway. Then Saas Fee, prettiest town in Switzerland ?
The whole country is a chocolate box lid, or at least what we've seen is. The tickets to Piz Gloria are about CHF 85 (£65 about) but the campsites offer 30% discounts. I think if I was to do either trip it would be the Jungfraujoch railway - mostly because the Piz Gloria cable car looks terrifying! But the train goes higher and you would get the odd very brief glimpse out of one of the windows on the north face of the Eiger.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
tickets to Piz Gloria are about CHF 85 (£65 about)

Good grief, it was nothing like that when a young family turned up for as ride.

We've always fancied the railway but at the price, a bit over the top.

I should think you have had enough by now, there's only so much we can take in in one go, save something for next year.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think you might have to pay a significant amount if you want to take Charlie with you too, although there may be a get out clause if you can fit him in Mrs DBK's handbag I seem to recall ? :(

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fiscal realism having won we walked a little way up the valley today to visit the Tremmelbach Falls (CHF 11 at the gate or CHF 10 at the camp reception.)
These falls are more or less invisible even when you are standing below them.

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_183547.jpg

In the shot above (chocolate box photo #1) you can see a gap between the mountains in the background above the farmhouse but at valley floor level there is no obvious gap.

This is because the falls run through a very narrow water-worn cleft in the rock. This is taken looking back down into the valley, you can see a few cars and how the water, which drains mostly from a glacier below the Jungfrau, has worn a groove through the rock. The orange glow is from lights in the chasm.

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182224.jpg

Inside this cleft they have cut tunnels and built airy walk ways so you can see the ten main falls.

Here are some random shots showing the walkway and a couple of the falls - they are hard to photograph as it is quite dark inside although a few of the falls have lights.

But first we had to fight our way in - but it was fairly quiet after this coach party left. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182237.jpg

The airy walkways.

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182236.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182234.jpg

The best falls.

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182248.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182242.jpg

It isn't a place if you don't like heights. :) (like me)

In the afternoon we went geocaching and found a couple close by. One had two trackables which I collected and I also dropped off one I found on Dartmoor and one of my own which I had bought. Travelling Terrier #1 has now been released into the wild! One of the trackables we found originated from Québec and the other from Belgium.

And before we leave Switzerland here is chocolate box photo #2.

LRM_EXPORT_20171013_182232.jpg

A waterfall, a chalet, the Swiss flag - and a satellite dish painted brown if you look closely. :)

Afterwards we visited the camp shop, which is like a small supermarket and bought a few presents and a large red cow money box in the shape of a cow bell. Another CHF 100 note seriously damaged. :)

Switzerland is nice but it isn't cheap though some things are more or less the same as in the UK - fuel is about £1.20 to £1.25 a litre and a bottle of Swiss wine we bought was £6.00.

We will be sad to leave it tomorrow but my wallet may be relieved. :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tremendous photographs and very useful info on Switzerland.
I hope to head that way next year so invaluable, thanks.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here are some random dash cam shots of driving through the mountains of Switzerland. If there seem to be a lot of road works in the first half of the video then this is because there are a lot of roadworks in Switzerland!

After the roadworks, the video shows us going up a lot of hairpin bends and it finishes with us stopping on a very small unguarded edge where I took some pictures. :)

Switzerland is a fun driving place - but do stick to the speed limits. Even the Italians do here. :)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Would you have been as comfortable on that road if you were driving a motorhome 2 or 3m longer and a bit wider? Or is your camera like google street-view where the camera narrows the appearance of the road?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Would you have been as comfortable on that road if you were driving a motorhome 2 or 3m longer and a bit wider? Or is your camera like google street-view where the camera narrows the appearance of the road?
I'm happy with our PVC on these roads but bigger MHs could get around here too, the local buses do, but you would need to be good at reversing if required. ;)
The only thing I wouldn't want to drive here would be one with a very long overhang and minimal ground clearance at the rear. But then I'm not sure I would be happy driving one like that anywhere. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are now in deepest France. :) The escape from Switzerland was as twisty as I expected and a long drive too but it did show you can cross Switzerland without a vignette and avoid the autobahns. However, I would buy a vignette if we ever came again, which we must because it is a most beautiful country and English is widely spoken. This was well illustrated by a episode when we visited the Tremmelbach Falls. We got speaking to a Swiss bloke (in English) and then he started speaking to two men who worked there. He started each conversation in German but quickly changed to English because that was the common language between them - they were east European I think. The number of foreigners working in Switzerland is a concern to the Swiss but they need them to keep the place running I think.

We stopped a little way into France near Besançon at CamperContact #1267 The Museums Maisons Comptoises at Nancray. This is just a grass carpal for the museum but it has a service point and was wonderfully quiet (and very dark) at night.

LRM_EXPORT_20171015_162933.jpg

Today was a lazy day for driving, I let the SANEF toll tag take the strain and we did a little over 300 km on the autoroute to a very pleasant aire by the river Yonne near Auxerre.

LRM_EXPORT_20171015_162931.jpg

And we must be getting near home because the UK appears in the maps now! :)

The French, upon whom we should apparently take pity, as they suffer under the tyrannical EU do know how to site a nice aire.

LRM_EXPORT_20171015_162928.jpg

It isn't free, €7.60 a night but that includes electricity if you need it.

Tomorrow should see us staying at a wine producer near Le Mans and it would be a shame to snub them by not sampling their product. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to add our stay at Camping Jungfrau in Switzerland wasn't quite as expensive as I had feared. There was a 20% low season discount and another 10% for the ACSI card bringing the total to slightly over CHF 40 (£32) a night, otherwise it would have been about £50 a night. Not exactly cheap but it was by a long way the most swish campsite we have ever experienced. Recommended, even if you only go for one night, just for the experience. The location is superb and you get two free chocolates and a campsite sticker when you check out. We've eaten the chocolates but still have the sticker. I might offer it as a raffle prize if the opportunity arises. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another edit: In the post two above I refer to a "grass carpal" which is a predictive text version of " grass carpark" I think and nothing to do with Carpal Tunnel syndrome. :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Making me envious haven't been away since Easter new grandmother dictates it will be Feb before we are off again. But memories of Bescancon, the most fantastic Comte cheese, Victor Hugo and it appears to be the capital of tattoo parlours we walked past what seemed to be several dozen. Aire in the centre and welll worth a visit.

Fairy Lights

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
London E17
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Ravenna
Exp
A Relative Newbie
Can't give that a "like" but I'm glad you are otherwise unscathed. If you can actually glue the bit of perspex in as well, with say superglue, you should be able to maintain security. Happier travels - from now on. :)
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope all is well

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for such a super thread, I have really enjoyed your posts with such detail, the recipes, pictures and tails of Charlie. We have a border terrrier and they are such wonderful characters. Having enjoyed so much I purchased your book "2 go to Spain" and read your "3 go on an adventure" re your italy trip. Loads of great ideas and can't wait to get back out there.
Could I just ask what books you use to determine your route, I.e the places of interest that u go to are amazing. I seem to remember reading that you use DK guides but is there any other reference books on your list?
Helen

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for such a super thread, I have really enjoyed your posts with such detail, the recipes, pictures and tails of Charlie. We have a border terrrier and they are such wonderful characters. Having enjoyed so much I purchased your book "2 go to Spain" and read your "3 go on an adventure" re your italy trip. Loads of great ideas and can't wait to get back out there.
Could I just ask what books you use to determine your route, I.e the places of interest that u go to are amazing. I seem to remember reading that you use DK guides but is there any other reference books on your list?
Helen
Many thanks. The DK Eyewitness guides are a very good start but I also do a bit of Googling before we leave, following up the places mentioned in the DK books. The Rough Guides are also good, with more depth than the DK books.
I don't think it is difficult to find interesting places - there are just so many around. :)
Best wishes,
John

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Helen
Seconded

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
One guide book I won't be without is the Michelin Green Guide. I buy them second hand on Ebay for peanuts and have got dozens. For a region or country or department they will have a map of all the places of interest. The are classified as 1. Interesting, 2, worth a visit 3, worth a detour. Or something similar. The stuff I am interested in it doesn't change so I don't mind that they are old, in fact I find the older ones better ordered and written.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for that, I'll starting looking for one
Helen

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Belated update! I've got technical issues get images off my camera so no more photos. :(
We crossed France safely and have spent a few days in Brittany and get the ferry tomorrow afternoon to Plymouth.
Charlie had a close encounter with a Portuguese Man O War on a beach a couple of days ago. He was fine at the time and is still acting normally but he has a very swollen lip. I'll take him to the vets on Friday if it doesn't sort itself out.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it was a Portugese man-of -war then hot water followed by ice. For others Urine, vinegar or spanish floor cleaner " amoniaco" all relieve the symptoms in animals or humans. Keep an eye on it as they can become infected then he will need antibiotics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back