DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it was a Portugese man-of -war then hot water followed by ice. For others Urine, vinegar or spanish floor cleaner " amoniaco" all relieve the symptoms in animals or humans. Keep an eye on it as they can become infected then he will need antibiotics.

In Australia they leave containers of vinegar on the beach in jellyfish season
The reaction seems to have been very delayed but we have done what what we can for him. The advice I've read suggested washing with sea water but I think it's too late for that although he's been in the sea since. He has scabs on one lip, which is swollen. I'll see how he is tomorrow and ring the vet for an appointment on Friday if necessary. He seems a bit subdued but otherwise normal.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear Charlie is suffering when you have gone on your trip unscathed.hope the vet can treat .
Thanks for your wonderful informative and witty thread !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
How's Charlie?
Saw a Spaniel stung all around its mouth yesterday. Salt water seems to be the recommendation and not vinegar, the owners thought it was just a jellyfish sent them straight to the vets.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How's Charlie?
Saw a Spaniel stung all around its mouth yesterday. Salt water seems to be the recommendation and not vinegar, the owners thought it was just a jellyfish sent them straight to the vets.
His lip seems to be back to normal now. The vet gave him a general anti-inflammatory injection. He still has a number of small scabs on his body which are healing. The vet thought this might have been part of the reaction to the venom. We will keep an eye on it - the vet also thought it could be a mite of some sort but thought this unlikely, especially as we had treated him with Advantix.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Glad to hear Charlie's on the mend.
Thanks for sharing your travels, informative and witty.
Looking forward to the next one.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Glad to hear Charlie's on the mend.
Thanks for sharing your travels, informative and witty.
Looking forward to the next one.
I think he's back to normal - guarding the naan bread and curry at the moment.

DSC_0585-2760x2070.JPG

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My JRT always sits in the corner when food is about,
they are handy for hoovering up spillages though:):)

But unfortunately there is no 5 second rule in our house as if you drop anything you want they are straight in..

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My JRT always sits in the corner when food is about,
they are handy for hoovering up spillages though:):)

But unfortunately there is no 5 second rule in our house as if you drop anything you want they are straight in..
Your JRT must be a bit slow off the mark - Charlie catches anything being dropped while it is still in mid-air. :)

But I must confess I did use him as a pot cleaner a few times when we were away. It was magic really. Place dirty saucepan on floor, pick up five minutes later and it is spotless.

Supper anyone?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Your JRT must be a bit slow off the mark - Charlie catches anything being dropped while it is still in mid-air. :)

But I must confess I did use him as a pot cleaner a few times when we were away. It was magic really. Place dirty saucepan on floor, pick up five minutes later and it is spotless.

Supper anyone?

He did catch some spaghetti sauce on his head once if that counts:LOL:

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Just pleased Charlie okay. Watch out for the effects of any curry he might catch though!,!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
His lip seems to be back to normal now. The vet gave him a general anti-inflammatory injection. He still has a number of small scabs on his body which are healing. The vet thought this might have been part of the reaction to the venom. We will keep an eye on it - the vet also thought it could be a mite of some sort but thought this unlikely, especially as we had treated him with Advantix.
That's good news, hope he continues to recover well!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you so much DBK Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, we are considering spending early 2022 in Sicily. It looks a lovely place to wait out our worse winter months.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you so much DBK Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, we are considering spending early 2022 in Sicily. It looks a lovely place to wait out our worse winter months.
YukonJac spent a pleasant winter in southern Sicily I recall. If we ever go back it would be in the spring for the flowers.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
found this thread yesterday, what a fabulous thread of your adventures, thank you, have thoroughly enjoyed reading and seeing your photos..:cool:

Reactions: DBK

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
YukonJac spent a pleasant winter in southern Sicily I recall. If we ever go back it would be in the spring for the flowers.
Yes indeed - one almost-full winter in the Murvi and one partial at the end of my bike tour (no campervan - rented a mobile bungalow on my favourite campsite). I think about Sicily a lot! It's a difficult place in many ways, but it got under my skin. I often wonder if I shouldn't try to buy a little fixer-upper there! Links to blogs in my signature below.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back