Two Go to France (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello From Le Pouldu we had a good crossing too to Roscoff we treated ourselves to a little cabin for £35 extra they are lovely! ensuite shower tea coffee making and beds with tv on the Armorique.
We stopped at Er Kleguer camping in san pol de leon which is a lovely site overlooking the sea great facilities it is on the same road as the lovely Aire there. We are now staying at les Embruns in Le Pouldu another lovely acsi site lots of motorhomes recently arrrived very friendly then heading to Nantes Camping on 7th-10th. If anyone is nearby come and say hi!
Hi Gin Palace,
Please can you advise if there's a supermarket beardy to Les Embluns site? Is it walking/cycling distance or do you need to drive?
Did you manage to visit the beach? If so was it any good?
Just planning next years trip!
Thanks

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have moved round the coast a little and are now staying at Camping Lann Brick a few kilometres north west of Locmariaquer. This is not a bad site although the loos are a bit tired but the owner speaks perfect English and is very friendly. Unlike the last place we stayed at there is no coastal footpath here but the lanes are quiet and we had a very pleasant walk today, stopping first at the main megalithic attraction just outside Locmariquer where there is a visitors' centre where we watched a video, listening to an English commentary on headphones, which made a welcome change after the French "wall of sound" at Gavrinis. :)

There are three things to see here, the Grand menhir brisé which is a 350 tonne menhir which stood at least 20m high when it was placed here about 4,500BC. Unfortunately, a few hundred years later it toppled and split into four pieces. According to the video we watched, the most likely explanation was an earthquake or it may possibly have been deliberately pulled down. The third possibility, that the footings were too shallow wasn't covered in the video. :)

The menhir, the largest in Western Europe, is made from a rock the nearest source of which 10km away and to bring it they reckon it must have come part of the way by boat!

The second site here and right next to the broken menhir is the Table des Marchands.

OI000099.jpg

This is another cairn with a single passage leading to a chamber, all taller than the cairn at Gavrinis so you could walk upright in it.

OI000104.jpg

And here there were no restrictions on taking cameras in. This is supposed to be an axe.

OI000101.jpg

There were also a few carvings of animals but they were worn and feint and didn't photograph well but one of the animals has half of it missing and they found the missing half on the reverse of a slab at the Gavrinis cairn, showing not only how they reused stones but also they weren't afraid to cart them a long distance, or rather drag them long distances. It is thought the original stone when it was in one piece was one of several in an alignment on one end of which stood the Grand Menhir. The holes where these stones stood have been discovered but the stones themselves are no longer there.

The last site, a hundred yards away is the Tumulus d'Er Grah which externally is fairly unexciting being just a very large and not very high pile of stones.

OI000098.jpg

Under the big stone is a chamber although there is no passage leading to it. When it was excavated they found stone jewelry made from stones found only in Spain and the Italian Dolomites, which suggests the EU is older than we thought. :)

The only slightly off note about these sites is just how authentic they are. In particular the Table de Marchands looks nothing like it did a hundred years or so ago.

OI000107.jpg

And this is what it looked like during the restoration.

OI000108.jpg

After this we picked up the coastal path at Locmariquer and walked around the peninsula. The tide was a long way out, it is building up to Spring Tides this weekend and there were a few folk out collecting shellfish and we saw one guy who had two buckets of oysters. These, from the geologist's hammer he was carrying had been prised or whacked off the rocks.

At the tip of the peninsula, the Pointe de Kerpenhir there is a 3m menhir, the Men Er Letionec

OI000109.jpg

We then had a good lunch at the Relais de Kerpenhir, which is close to the municipal campsite, which itself looked nice. We had Lagoustines mayonnaise which on reflection might have come from Scotland, but we both got over a dozen for €13 which we washed down with a half litre of rosé.

Carrying on round the coastal footpath we came across an amazing beach exhibition of stone balancing.

OI000117.jpg

This figure (mother and child?) is about three feet high.

OI000119.jpg

I thought at first they must be glued or fixed together somehow, but they were not.

Here is an explanation from the artist, which makes it all clear. :)

OI000121.jpg

Indeed. We need @yodeli to sort that out I think. :)
There were literally hundreds of these creations and it was all the more impressive because this beach faces the open sea, not the Gulf of Morbihan and they will all vanish with the first storm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
1)
co (avec ...with) and cop( partage ...share) are the roots of the word "copule" which basically is when a female and a male are having ... sex! But as well in French grammar it is the word which is the link between the subject of a sentence and what WE call attribut. Example : le pain est bon: the bread is good. good is the attribut.So the copule here is the verb to be . It links the word bread to the word good.

2)
Equi is the root for "balance" in French équilibre
"equinox" in French équinoxe ...huge tides occur at that period
"justice" in French équité
"dubious" in French equivoque
The root équi means equal

3) My dad gave me birth in the region of Briançonnais, but I also live on "somewhere else" seaside (this is a very special way to speak he's trying to make some poetry .....)
Look at me , but don't touch me. Let me live. I wish you only Happiness

Here you are....!
Amicalement

Frankie:)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
1)
co (avec ...with) and cop( partage ...share) are the roots of the word "copule" which basically is when a female and a male are having ... sex! But as well in French grammar it is the word which is the link between the subject of a sentence and what WE call attribut. Example : le pain est bon: the bread is good. good is the attribut.So the copule here is the verb to be . It links the word bread to the word good.

2)
Equi is the root for "balance" in French équilibre
"equinox" in French équinoxe ...huge tides occur at that period
"justice" in French équité
"dubious" in French equivoque
The root équi means equal

3) My dad gave me birth in the region of Briançonnais, but I also live on "somewhere else" seaside (this is a very special way to speak he's trying to make some poetry .....)
Look at me , but don't touch me. Let me live. I wish you only Happiness

Here you are....!
Amicalement

Frankie:)
Very many thanks. I am tempted to say I will have whatever he is drinking/smoking! But a lot of effort was put into creating them and this weekend the spring (equinox) tides and the bad weather coming may destroy them. :(

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
grate account of your trip looking forward to more
bill

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thought I would post a few more pictures of stones. :)

OI000120.jpg

I suspect the one in the bottom left, made with little flat stones probably wasn't done by the artist!

Just by the beach stones is an aire, #211 in All the Aires, it was rammed solid from what I could see, which might be why there were four or five MHs queing to get into the nearby municipal campsite.

And just by the aire is the Dolmen les Pierres Plates which is another chambered barrow with a few carvings in the passage, though they are not as fine as the cairn at Gavrinis.

OI000115.jpg

I mentioned yesterday a number of these sites have undergone extensive reconstruction and their appearance now can only be the experts' views of what they might have looked like when first built. A case perhaps, as Eric Morecambe might have put it, of "all the right stones, but not necessarily in the right order." However, this dolmen has had some extra stones added as you can see in the picture below.

OI000116.jpg

You can see the drill marks in the two stones nearest the camera where they were split in the quarry.

The passage inside runs through one chamber then ends at a second.

OI000111.jpg

As mentioned there are a few carvings, in the usual enigmatic style.

OI000113.jpg

And if you are not totally stoned out here is another dolmen by the road as we walked back.

OI000126.jpg

Underneath it was a chamber which had clearly been used as a house or storage place in more recent times as it was lined with stones like dry stone walling.

The locals today can still do some good work with stone. This house which looks like it has been recently renovated is in the typical Breton style. Note the lack of gutters, which seems traditional. Modern houses do have gutters here, but they are generally designed to be discrete, no uPVC here!

OI000124.jpg

And almost exactly five hours after setting off we got back to the MH for a well earned cup of Earl Grey. :)

Edit: I've just noticed I forgot to post a picture of the 350t broken menhir. So here it is, not a good picture as it doesn't give much impression of the huge mass of the thing.

OI000095.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From Locmariaquer we shuffled a little way round the coast to Carnac, squeezing into the municipal aire, which is only a short walk from the town centre. I had read this was a busy aire and it was. All the designated MH bays were already occupied at eleven in the morning but it was clear parking was pretty "free format" and other MHs were parked wherever there was sufficient space. We managed to squeeze in on a normal car parking space beside the barrier leading to the private parking for the flats beside the car park. By early afternoon even these extra places were all taken and we watched a succession of MHs arriving, cruising around, then leaving for the rest of the day.

After lunch we visited the Musée Préhistoire which is full of exhibits of finds from burial sites and generally lots of stuff from pre-history. It is worth visiting, not just for more flint arrow heads than you can shake a stick at but to see the amazing workmanship our ancestors used to make some of their artifacts, a number made with stone brought from Spain or Italy.

Afterwards we went to see the alignments.

OI000100.jpg

I first came here probably forty years ago when you could walk freely amongst the stones but not any more. They are all fenced off and access is only possible if you go as part of an organised tour group. One of which can be seen above. I believe the Tourist Office can advise how to get on one of these.

We had intended to stay two nights here but we decided to leave the next morning and just see the rest of the stones as we drove around the area. Carnac is a bit touristy (at least two Little Trains trundling around plus an open top bus) but if you haven't seen the alignments you must go, they are mightily impressive.

Another short drive took us to Quiberon, famous for sardines and a world famous quidditch team. More of which later.

We stayed at the commercial aire at the south west corner of the peninsula, #207 in All the Aires and also on CamperContact under Quiberon and no doubt other online resources. This is a well organised aire, you pay by credit card as you enter buying time for water at the same time. It is about €6 a day and the maximum you can buy is 72 hours. It has a lot of gravel, sand and grass to choose where to park. We went for grass.

OI000102.jpg

The only odd thing about the aire is the water supply, which is a metal female Hozelock connection. There is a sign explaining this as you enter.

OI000106.jpg

So to connect your hose you need a male to male Hozelock adaptor. How many of us carry one of those. I didn't but I managed to make one, using the male connector I could unscrew from the MH washing brush I carry. Many thanks to Mrs DBK for suggesting this! :). The water pressure when the water is switched on when you enter the code on your receipt is impressive. Mrs DBK got a bit wet. Oops. :p

This is a great area for walking. There is a coastal footpath plus a network of other paths and a few cycle tracks.

After a wet and windy night this morning was sunny and though there was a very stiff breeze blowing we walked via the coastal path into Quiberon where we saw the Two Fat Ladies had arrived in their motorcycle and sidecar before us to buy some sardines.

OI000128.jpg

Quiberon, as already mentioned, is famous for sardines. Around 1800 a Frenchman, Nicolas Appert, won a prize from the French Navy for a method of preserving food, which he sealed in bottles then submerged in boiling water. It was a sort of early Kilner jar and intriguingly, this was years before Pasteur demonstrated heat killed bacteria. Appert didn't know why his method worked, only that it did. Of course, a jar isn't a tin but they followed very quickly afterwards and were invented by a British inventor, Peter Durand. Canning really took off and Quiberon became the centre for canned sardines.

Quiberon in the 19th Century looked very different to what it does today, there were several canning factories staffed by the wives of the fishermen who caught the silver fish. Then came the railway, tourists arrived in large numbers and Quiberon now looks a bit more seasidey now.

OI000134.jpg

OI000130.jpg

This place needs some attention, the van owner has their work cut out I think.

OI000131.jpg

They must have heard the English were coming. :)

OI000129.jpg

There is even a haunted house on a rocky headland. It must be an interesting place to stay at in a storm.

OI000127.jpg

Afterwards we had a glass of France's equivalent of Newcastle Brown Ale, a liver-shrivelling 6.5% and very nice it was.

OI000138.jpg

Rain hit us just minutes after we got back to the MH. Perfect timing.

And the Quidditch team? The Quiberon Quafflepunchers of course. Famed for their shocking pink jerseys. Read J K Rowling's Quidditch Through the Ages for more information. We didn't see them today but the wind was blowing very strongly so that may have meant practice was cancelled.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another little hop westward along the southern Brittany coast today. We were heading towards Pont Aven but we decided we would stop off earlier if we found somewhere worth exploring.

We have been working towards this Zen like state for sometime. The problem with touring as we do is the "trap" of deciding where to go next, punching it into the satnav and then just driving there and perhaps passing places which would be worth exploring but you don't stop at them because the satnav is urging you on

So today we took things much slower, stopping first at Erdeven where we spotted a small alignment of standing stones.

OI000105.jpg

There was an oak tree growing beside one of the stones, very Druidical.

OI000110.jpg

Unfortunately, these stones are right beside the road on the edge of the town so I didn't do a Billy Connolly and run starkers through the stones, though at least with these stones you can walk amongst them, unlike those at Carnac. And this being France and close to the coast I probably could have got away with it. But it wasn't really warm enough, and that's my excuse. :)

After passing around Lorient where there is a big Naval base and port we followed the coast road north wesdt from Larmor Plage. There are a few aires along this stretch of sand dunes but they don't have services and with the wind still blowing strongly we didn't fancy a sand blasting so we kept going, stopping for the night at Le Poldou.

The aire here, beside the tennis courts, doesn't have any services either but we are staying only one night so that doesn't matter.

After lunch we went for a walk and learned about some painters. :Eeek:

Pont Aven, which had been our original, sort of, destination, was the adopted home of a group of American artists who arrived in 1866, shortly after the opening of the railway and they were followed by others from within France. Paul Gauguin arrived in 1886 but he found the atmosphere a bit loud and busy so with a few others who he had met at Pont Aven he moved to the nearby Le Poldou, a small village of 150 inhabitants at the time on the coast.

He only stayed only a short time before moving to Martinique but here he helped refine his technique, called Synthetism, a post-impressionist style. Which as I understand it was marked by blocks of colour and well defined outlines.

At the Tourist Office you can get a map which shows Le chemin des peintres or Painters' Path which guides you, albeit with a bit of guesswork needed, around over a dozen stations at each of which is a representation of a painting or in a couple of cases an extract from a letter.

OI000140.jpg

Which today looks like this. (Except the tide was out today)

OI000141.jpg

And another one.

OI000147.jpg

And today. (They've let the garden go but the plaque of the painting is on the wall on the left)

OI000148.jpg

I could post more pictures and might do tomorrow. I know nothing about this art but I find the lives of the artists fascinating.

Le Poldou isn't a bad place but even in mid September it was almost a ghost town today. Very quiet.

But the artistic spirit lives on. I couldn't help wondering what this shop would be selling with a name like this in the UK?

OI000146.jpg

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
glad your having a good time . but you tricked us with your title ,you havent been in france at all yet . you have stayed in brittany .
bit like coming to cornwall and thinking you are in england .
we will let you off though .
keep going though there is more grteat places along the coast.
think you will have to start doing tour films your doing a grand job of it all.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
glad your having a good time . but you tricked us with your title ,you havent been in france at all yet . you have stayed in brittany .
bit like coming to cornwall and thinking you are in england .
we will let you off though .
keep going though there is more grteat places along the coast.
think you will have to start doing tour films your doing a grand job of it all.
A week ago the weather forecast was so grim I thought about driving all the way to the Med. Then we decided to stick it out here and the weather has been much better than expected. Sun in the morning, showers in the afternoon, but it isn't really cold.

We've been here two and a half weeks and still only used half a tank of fuel. It's like Spain, lots to see if you go slowly!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we used to spend lots of time around there when my kids were growing up. plus we used to do m,bike rally,s in gorlizon and douarnenez.
mind we also surfed that coast or a bit further round .
you know my pattern just hug the coast .
my eldest lad used to go on his moped when he was 16yr old ferry as a bicycle then a train from roscoff to brest then tour around and either ride back or get the train back to roscoff. we thought he had gone to mates in st dennis just 4 miles away. think he had the travel bug as well. we went to motorbike show he knew more of the locals than we did . we were on the trike then . but we were told he was always there at weekends .

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to mention earlier that if you drive from Lorient to Lamor Plage in order to follow the coast road you will come across, without any warning that we saw, a 2.6m height limit as the road dips under a bridge. This is useful if you are not exactly sure how high your MH is. We discovered we are under 2.6m but not I fear, by very much! :)

Now back to the now. After our artistic peregrinations at La Pouldu we drove through Pont Aven (touristy) and on to...

OI000166.jpg

We have stopped at Camping Les Pres Vérts which isn't the closest to Concarneau but at €12 a night (ACSI) including 6 amp electricity and free WiFi it is good value.

There is, however, a good aire at Concarneau and if you want to sample the nightlife here it would be ideal.

OI000164.jpg

There was a tag axle Autotrail with a Funster sticker in the window when we walked past this morning but it had left by the time we came back through the aire this afternoon.

The reason why we walked through the aire is because it is at the old railway station and the former railway line is now a voie verte.

OI000165.jpg

I first came to Concarneau on a cycling trip about four years ago and as I hadn't actually done any reading on what to expect I was pleasantly surprised to find a sort of floating castle in the middle of the harbour.

The walled town or ville close is built on an island just 350m by 100m in size. It can be reached by a little ferry from the seaward side as I did (they take bicycles!) or from the west by a bridge.

OI000160.jpg

Once inside, the main street where most of the shops and restaurants are is called Rue Vauban.

OI000157.jpg

Sebastian Le Prestre de Vauban (1633 - 1707 for completeness) was a useful chap to have around in those days of frequent wars. His special subject was fortifications though he also wrote about warfare generally and politics which must have been a shade risky in those days.

The classic mediaeval castle has high walls but with the development of artillery, high walls just become a bigger and easier target to hit. De Vauban designed fortifications which were much lower and used geometrical designs, though not here in Concarneau where no doubt the limited size of the island somewhat cramped his artistic side.

This is a touristy place of course but there are some good restaurants and more by luck than anything else we chose this place.

OI000156.jpg

Where we both had a Barbeque de Mer which turned out to be the tastiest meal we have had for some time. The restaurant was full by the time we left and the establishments either side were almost empty. Word had obviously spread that they had a good chef here.

OI000155.jpg

Tuna, scallops and prawns on skewers and some very nice sauces. We even finished with some ice cream and then staggered around the fortifications for a while to sober up.

OI000159.jpg

And took some more pictures of the place. This one below shows the whole fortification if you can see it through the masts. The bridge you enter the ville close is on the left.

OI000161.jpg

A view of the walls, with the tide out, which could be seen as something of a design flaw if the plan is to build a fortification in the sea.

OI000163.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our last day in Concarneau started a bit frustratingly. We planned to take the coastal path but when we got to it there was a race going on and folk with numbers pinned to their vests were pounding along it. I then remembered we had seen adverts for I think a tri-athlon.

So we turned round and walked back to the voir verte which we had used the previous day to reach Concarneau but this time we headed in the opposite direction. The path is built on the old railway which the map we had showed running away to the north but the cycle path stopped after a short distance when we were presented with a wall of bramble into which we could see the old line vanish.

So it was back to the MH and as it was Sunday we opened a bottle of wine and spent the rest of the day enjoying the sunshine.

Our next stop was Guilvinec, which is a fishing port south west of Quimper. There is an aire here, #19272 in CamperContact. It isn't listed in our edition of All the Aires but it might be in the latest as it is a good spot. Plenty of room, right in the centre of the town and with a good service point.

We went for a walk along the coastal path in the afternoon, leaving under grey but not threatening skies but by the time we got to the next little port along the coast, Lesconil, the sky was full of dark clouds and a strong breeze was blowing in our faces. It soon started to rain and by the time we got back to the MH we were soaked. At least my legs dried quickly as I was wearing shorts!

Before the heavens opened I did get a few pictures taken.

The aire is beside the port.

OI000154.jpg

Guilvinec is another place famous for canned sardines in the past.

OI000162.jpg

The writing on the figure describes how the wives and daughters of the fishermen worked in the canning factories.

The sea is a dangerous place. This cross at Lesconil has no writing on it so I am not sure if it marks a specific wreck or missing mariners generally.

OI000169.jpg

And weathered rocks.

OI000170.jpg

After sitting in a sweltering MH all evening, with the heating blasting away, we managed to dry everything out and today we drove just 20km or so along the coast to another fishing port and another aire beside the water.

The aire at Audierne.

OI000171.jpg

Whilst Guilvinec was a working port with big fishing boats, Audierne is much more touristy with a lot of yachts moored in the harbour.

OI000172.jpg

And plenty of bars and restaurants at one of which we had lunch. Not as good a meal as the one at Concarneau - but at €20 less on the total bill we couldn't complain. I had a starter of rilletes of sardines. I had no idea what to expect other than it would probably involve a sardine. It did, it was a paté of sardines served with lightly toasted bread and a little bit of salad. Very tasty but the main course which was another fishy thing was a bit bland. I think it used a "sustainable" fish, which is another name for "tasteless" fish in this case. :)

OI000175.jpg

We did a bit of sightseeing, there is a church with a couple of carved ships on it but they were fairly high up and difficult to see. We did find a couple of steps which seemed to have been made from old gravestones.

OI000174.jpg

There is a small fleet of smaller fishing boats here but there is also a bit of history. From the aire you can see a number of old fishing boats. This is one group, old lobster boats apparently.

OI000178.jpg

It is now a protected historic site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The departure from the aire at Audierne didn't go too smoothly as the services only took a credit card and it refused my UK bank card and my Brittany Ferries cash card, which surprised me as I was hoping it would be recognised as French.

Fortunately the aire at the near by village of Clédan Cap Sizun took hard currency in the form of a €2 coin so we filled up with water here. This aire is very close to the village centre, opposite the cemetery so you should have a quiet night, unlike at Audierne, where you park near the school buses which reliably woke us up at seven thirty when they all pulled out.

The services at both places had a nice refinement on the water tap, a loop of metal to stop people putting their toilet cassettes over it.

OI000176.jpg

After refilling we drove around the coast, stopping to have a look at the Pointe du Raz.

OI000180.jpg

Around lunchtime we pulled into the aire at Locronan, which is a very touristy but attractive little village.

I'm not sure of the history of the place although the museum suggests the region was noted for weaving hemp and making other hemp products such as rope. It is now a tourist magnet with busloads arriving to see the village which looks today much as it probably did two hundred years ago.

OI000182.jpg

OI000181.jpg

The whole village, including its name seems to revolve around St Ronan, the 6th Century Irish missionary. It is undoubtedly an attractive place and by late afternoon the tour buses had departed and we had a nice gentle walk around it.

The aire was very quiet overnight and the services took a coin again so no problems there!

The next day we drove to Camaret sur Mer with the sim of having a chilled out weekend at a site. On the way we stopped to do some shopping at the LeClerc supermarket at Tal ar Groas a little east of Crozon and noted it had its own little aire with about 5 places. Most of the LeClercs we have seen have MH parking but this was the first we had seen with a water and waste point. It all looked very new and it isn't listed in CamperContact so I will send them details when I get back home or if we get a good internet connection before then. This aire was also the first we have seen with washing machines!

OI000188.jpg

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi DBK, & Chocksaway, we were there (Caramet if you go out of the aire turn right and up over the hill you come to a fantastic hillside over looking a great beach)on the 7th , toured around clockwise starting at fougeres & 16 days later St Andre des Eaux before heading back to Ouistreham, Really great trip , we did most of the places DBK has done, wife has decided we must go back next year as we didn't see all we wanted to.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK

BOHOO !!!! I can't see any of your last pics (except fortification with your missus getting down the stairs). I've just got very tiny squares with a cross in. I tried to click on one of them but ...No, it would not open!
Very frustrating:(
I can't explain that. Very odd.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK

Hi DBK, we're in Cameret now! It's a small world innit? :)
We are about 3km north, at a campsite, Trez Rouz. The plan was to come here and do some laundry, except the camp office had run out of tokens for its own machines! We are just going to chill out here for the weekend and then move off round the coast, staying in aires again next week. Route not certain but via Brest then hug the coast and then catch the ferry from Roscoff on the 4th.

Which way are you going after Camaret?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, DBK, I know your request was to chocksaway, but when we left , we avoided Brest as we dont like large towns , & went to Bourg Blanc nice aire by a lake,then onto Lampoul plourazel another nice aire , beachside, with showers & washing machines.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi, DBK, I know your request was to chocksaway, but when we left , we avoided Brest as we dont like large towns , & went to Bourg Blanc nice aire by a lake,then onto Lampoul plourazel another nice aire , beachside, with showers & washing machines.
Very many thanks for those suggestions, I am sure we will use at least one of those aires.

I am under instructions to go via Brest as apparently there is a specific shop someone wants to visit to buy a Breton jumper. I doubt we will stay there, although you can park at Oceanopolis but it has no service point.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We're 'wild' on Pointe du Toulinguet then maybe over to Le Fret after a spot of Pier fishing off Camaret pier around mid day tomorrow. After this clockwise from Brest till we get bored!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi DBK & Chockswahay, sorry spelt your name wrong on previous reply
Bourg blanc is free, only little problem is only one way into parking & out and the services are on that road as you pass the building , blocking access in & out for a short time, having said that very pleasant stop nice walks around lakes and into the village.
Lampoul Plourazel is 4 euros on sort of terraced grass / sand not uniform parking just any where, beware of some soft sand , we saw one moho get stuck in due to it. wifi available toilets showers & washing machines /dryers charges apply to showers & washing facilities,

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@DBK

we have just been in to the honey museum at Terenez (Ferme Apicole de Terenez) which is just over a kilometre beyond the striking new bridge over the river. We have bought a few jars of honey and a bottle of Hyromel !

I just thought you might have an interest?? :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@DBK

we have just been in to the honey museum at Terenez (Ferme Apicole de Terenez) which is just over a kilometre beyond the striking new bridge over the river. We have bought a few jars of honey and a bottle of Hyromel !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
forgot to mention the bridge very impressive, had a lunchtime stop there

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK

It is an interesting bridge, I can't remember but it was either the first curved suspension bridge in France when it was built or in Europe. I cycled over it in 2012 on my way to Ouessant where they keep the native Black Bee isolated from the Italian mongrels everyone else uses!

Brittany June 2012 080.jpg

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Wot about the honey? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.