Two Go Round a Bit of Britain (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We had a gentle day today. After a gut-busting breakfast which included the biggest croissants I've ever seen (from the bakers called Rain in Fort William High Street) no one felt like lunch when the conventional time for lunch arrived.

So we went for a walk instead. :)

Nevis Range to the North East of Fort William is a sort of outdoor activity centre. It can be reached by bike path from Fort William but we went by car. There is a cable car which takes skiers up in winter and mountain bikers in summer. Several routes for MBs have been created and a World Cup event has been held here. The ambulance drivers from Fort William know the route here well and I will resist making a joke about it as some of the accidents here have been serious, of the life-changing sort.

There are also lots of forest tracks, some of which are shown on this map but they go on further.

PXL_20210919_134315550.jpg

There is a large car park which used to be free but this year introduced a charge of around £5 per day for cars and £15 for MHs which want to overnight. I don't think there are any facilities. My brother was told by someone he knows who works here that over the summer they had up to 70 MHs a night staying.

PXL_20210919_143355500.jpg

The mountain bikes and walkers are generally kept apart but they do share some of the paths.

PXL_20210919_134252913.jpg

Those using the main downhill runs travel up to the top by cable car with their bikes hitched on the back of the gondola.

PXL_20210919_135001680.jpg

This is known as the "Stolen bridge" because it was built for somewhere else and was, ahem.. stolen. :)

PXL_20210919_134355071.jpg

We walked for a while on what is known as the Suggy Line. This is a former railway, officially known as the Lochaber Narrow Gauge, which was built about one hundred years ago to transport men and materials up country to a construction site where a fifteen mile long tunnel was being being built. The tunnel would bring water, used to make electricity, down to the aluminium smelter in Fort William. Most of the line is missing but there a few stretches where some of the line remains. It was a 3 foot gauge I believe.

PXL_20210919_140311223.jpg

There were some interesting funghi, this is probably Birch bollete with Footus maryii next to it for scale. It was massive. (the funghi, not Mrs DBK's foot :))

PXL_20210919_135535767.jpg

Orange peel fungus.

PXL_20210919_134239423.jpg

Both are said to be edible but "edible" and "nice to eat" do not always go together.

This old birch has several bracket fungii growing on it. These are the large, flat fungi growing out horizontally from the trunk. If you look closer there are several smaller ones which look like little pyramids. This is Hoof or Horse's Hoof funghi. Almost exclusively restricted to Scotland it is uncommon even here. I can find nothing about its edibility but suspect the birch trunk would taste better. :)

PXL_20210919_141244984.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We seem to be a day ahead of you. Had breakfast at Rain yesterday. A huge croissant stuffed with venison and cheese. Set me up for the day. Now down in Luss. Moffat tomorrow.
A messy drive down Loch Lomond again.👎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We seem to be a day ahead of you. Had breakfast at Rain yesterday. A huge croissant stuffed with venison and cheese. Set me up for the day. Now down in Luss. Moffat tomorrow.
A messy drive down Loch Lomond again.👎
I wasn't sure where you meant by Luss as there are a few places with that name but I guess you mean the Luss Campsite beside Loch Lomond. If so you've got past the worst bit of the road. :)

Sadly the weather is changing and after an exceptionally dry summer the rain has arrived so you are wise to head south. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When we got to my brother's house in Fort William, where we are staying for the weekend, and told him of my experiences he replied with "I never go that way now, even in a car". The better way is to turn off as you approach Glasgow onto the M73 for Stirling, then Callander to Tyndrum. It takes a few minutes longer but avoids the traffic around Glasgow and of course Loch Lomond. But then if you haven't seen Loch Lomond you will miss seeing the largest freshwater lake in Britain by surface area, although it is only the third largest in the UK as there are two larger ones in NI.
Yip, that's the "correct" way to get to Fort William from Glasgow area now.

Whilst you "miss" Loch Lomond (fell in it enough times when dinghy sailing!) you do get to travel through Glen Coe when going via Tyndrum.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
About an hour and a half of easy driving north from Fort William brought us to Morvich - which rhymes with vick not witch apparently. :) The blue blob in the centre of the map below shows where we're are now.

Screenshot_20210920-182155_Maps.jpg

We are staying at the CMC site here which is at least 90% full.

PXL_20210920_151500438.jpg

After lunch I took Charlie for a short walk, crossing first over the River Croe which flows beside the site.

PXL_20210920_144953009.jpg

Some geese had flown noisily over the site just as we arrived. I found a few of them sitting in a field. Almost certainly Greylag geese I think but I'd like to see them through binoculars a bit closer and flying again to be sure. They are the little specks between the white house and the bottom of the photo. :)

PXL_20210920_145104541.jpg

But rain is good for something - the walk yielded this small harvest and tomorrow's breakfast is now sorted!

PXL_20210920_152324231.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to add tomorrow looks like the driest day of the coming week so we are going to use the opportunity to visit the Isle of Skye while there is a possible chance of seeing the mountain tops! :)

Hopefully, we will be able to find room to drive on the island. We saw a lot of MHs today going south - which is a good sign for us going north!

Mary had a brief chat with someone on the pitch opposite us who was just finishing the North Coast 500 - and who said he was glad it was over! It was the narrow roads he didn't like.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Cheers for the info. I’ve already got a DSLR so I’ve been looking at something a bit smaller like a Canon Powershot. It’ll be a late Birthday present to me 😀
the camera on the new samsung s20 is amazing does everything most compacts can
petensal post the picture of the moon you took please

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
About an hour and a half of easy driving north from Fort William brought us to Morvich - which rhymes with vick not witch apparently. :) The blue blob in the centre of the map below shows where we're are now.

View attachment 539176

We are staying at the CMC site here which is at least 90% full.

View attachment 539179

After lunch I took Charlie for a short walk, crossing first over the River Croe which flows beside the site.

View attachment 539177

Some geese had flown noisily over the site just as we arrived. I found a few of them sitting in a field. Almost certainly Greylag geese I think but I'd like to see them through binoculars a bit closer and flying again to be sure. They are the little specks between the white house and the bottom of the photo. :)

View attachment 539174

But rain is good for something - the walk yielded this small harvest and tomorrow's breakfast is now sorted!

View attachment 539175
We had a gentle day today. After a gut-busting breakfast which included the biggest croissants I've ever seen (from the bakers called Rain in Fort William High Street) no one felt like lunch when the conventional time for lunch arrived.

So we went for a walk instead. :)

Nevis Range to the North East of Fort William is a sort of outdoor activity centre. It can be reached by bike path from Fort William but we went by car. There is a cable car which takes skiers up in winter and mountain bikers in summer. Several routes for MBs have been created and a World Cup event has been held here. The ambulance drivers from Fort William know the route here well and I will resist making a joke about it as some of the accidents here have been serious, of the life-changing sort.

There are also lots of forest tracks, some of which are shown on this map but they go on further.

View attachment 538896

There is a large car park which used to be free but this year introduced a charge of around £5 per day for cars and £15 for MHs which want to overnight. I don't think there are any facilities. My brother was told by someone he knows who works here that over the summer they had up to 70 MHs a night staying.

View attachment 538900

The mountain bikes and walkers are generally kept apart but they do share some of the paths.

View attachment 538901

Those using the main downhill runs travel up to the top by cable car with their bikes hitched on the back of the gondola.

View attachment 538902

This is known as the "Stolen bridge" because it was built for somewhere else and was, ahem.. stolen. :)

View attachment 538904

We walked for a while on what is known as the Suggy Line. This is a former railway, officially known as the Lochaber Narrow Gauge, which was built about one hundred years ago to transport men and materials up country to a construction site where a fifteen mile long tunnel was being being built. The tunnel would bring water, used to make electricity, down to the aluminium smelter in Fort William. Most of the line is missing but there a few stretches where some of the line remains. It was a 3 foot gauge I believe.

View attachment 538905

There were some interesting funghi, this is probably Birch bollete with Footus maryii next to it for scale. It was massive. (the funghi, not Mrs DBK's foot :))

View attachment 538908

Orange peel fungus.

View attachment 538910

Both are said to be edible but "edible" and "nice to eat" do not always go together.

This old birch has several bracket fungii growing on it. These are the large, flat fungi growing out horizontally from the trunk. If you look closer there are several smaller ones which look like little pyramids. This is Hoof or Horse's Hoof funghi. Almost exclusively restricted to Scotland it is uncommon even here. I can find nothing about its edibility but suspect the birch trunk would taste better. :)

View attachment 538909
They look like Greylag to me as well

• Thanks
May 8, 2011
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
I forgot to add tomorrow looks like the driest day of the coming week so we are going to use the opportunity to visit the Isle of Skye while there is a possible chance of seeing the mountain tops! :)

Hopefully, we will be able to find room to drive on the island. We saw a lot of MHs today going south - which is a good sign for us going north!

Mary had a brief chat with someone on the pitch opposite us who was just finishing the North Coast 500 - and who said he was glad it was over! It was the narrow roads he didn't like.
I did read recently that Applecross want to be taken off the NC500 route just to get some peace and quiet back in their lives.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
you might tell him his boots are not tied correctly - will end up with a twisted ankle unless he is careful.
They are a bit loose and flappy - must be more careful next time. :) I got told off by my brother on the descent for having my wrist through the loop on the walking pole. Apparently this is a common way of fracturing a wrist if you trip. He said the better way on a descent is to put your palm over the top of the pole and no wrists trap. I found it a bit awkward but will persevere. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
They are a bit loose and flappy - must be more careful next time. :) I got told off by my brother on the descent for having my wrist through the loop on the walking pole. Apparently this is a common way of fracturing a wrist if you trip. He said the better way on a descent is to put your palm over the top of the pole and no wrists trap. I found it a bit awkward but will persevere. :)
Still, at least in an emergency you have the equipment to contact every air ambulance in the Northern hemisphere. (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That I am here now writing this is probably a sign yesterday's foraged mushrooms were safe. They were delicous for breakfast this morning. Of course the symptoms of poisoning by the lethal Death Cap may not appear for twenty fours - so check back tomorrow for any updates. :)

Today looked like the best day of the coming week so we drove to Skye via the bridge at the Kyle of Lochalsh.

Screenshot_20210921-173854_Maps.jpg

As before the blue blob, on the right, is where we are staying. There is a large Co-op supermarket at Kyle of Lochalsh which we will visit on Thursday before we head north into regions with fewer shops. On the way to Skye this morning we went past Eilean Donan Castle. This is much visited and much photographed because of its spectacular location jutting out into the loch. It's best photographed in the afternoon or evening because in the morning the sun is behind it. But I'll just present my photo as a thoroughly well planned artistic effort. As opposed to "I must remember to photograph this again when we return from Skye."

I forgot and didn't so this will have to suffice. :)

P9216254.jpg

Our route on the island went through Broadford where I topped up with LPG. The mylpg.eu website was showing it was out of gas but they have some now. This is one of the very few places on the west coast you can get LPG.

We crossed over to the west side of the island going through Carbost and Portalong which you can see on the map.

A bit further north we found our objective, the Dun Beag broch. Brochs are stone towers mostly confined to the north of Scotland and near the coast or on islands as can be seen by the red blobs on this map.

Map-brochs.jpg

A notice board in the small car park had some useful background information information.

P9216281.jpg

A board beside the broch itself had more.

P9216279.jpg

The image above shows a key feature of brochs - they had cavity walls! I thought before this visit that the gap was used as a walkway but the picture suggests the gap was only wide enough for this near the bottom.

The broch has suffered a bit over the last two thousand years and is just a stump now.

P9216264.jpg

We ascended by the direct route to the right in the photo above but an easier route is to go around the broch on the left and approach it from the rear - this is how we returned.

The remaining intact bits of wall show some good workmanship.

P9216268.jpg

I don't believe the stones have been worked, just selected and placed with care - as in any good dry stone wall.

When we got to the top we could see the double wall structure. There were steps at this point, very small steps which were only as deep as half the length of my foot so I had to descend them just on my heels.

P9216273.jpg

The interior with model posing to give scale. Mrs DBK has small feet so would have had no problem using the stairs.

P9216274.jpg

A wider view. The double wall is visible on the far side.

P9216271.jpg

A little store room.

P9216276.jpg

The coast is spectacular - if you have the weather to see it. We didn't.

P9216266.jpg

Our final stop was a chambered cairn which wasn't quite as interesting as the broch. It was probably once covered in earth and the dead or more likely their ashes placed inside it in cavities between the rocks.

It doesn't look much now but the spirits of the previous occupants have a nice view if they are still around.

P9216282.jpg

We ate lunch in the car park of Dunvegan Castle which is beside the small town of Dunvegan. With a name like that it should be full of butchers but wasn't. You can visit the castle which claims to be the oldest which has been continuously lived in but we weren't attracted as it has been extensively improved over the centuries and lacks a bit of authenticity to my jaundiced eye.

We also drove past the C&CC site on Skye, which is near Edinbane on the map above. It has a stunning location above a loch - recommended for that alone.

Back at CMC Morvich the wind is getting up now and it looks like we're are in for some heavy rain. You have to love Scotland to come here in this sort of weather. The bottle of scotch I bought may need to be sampled. :)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
That I am here now writing this is probably a sign yesterday's foraged mushrooms were safe. They were delicious for breakfast this morning. Of course the symptoms of poisoning by the lethal Death Cap may not appear for twenty fours - so check back tomorrow for any updates. :)
Seriously......
For about the last 30 autumns I've habitually made soup from mushrooms that I've gathered whilst dog walking. Ten years ago I had a real scare and had to go to A&E when I had a second bout of illness a couple of days after the first and those symptoms indicated that I had eaten some Destroying Angel.
Although causing many fatalities this deadly fungus has no known antidote. The symptoms start several hours after ingestion with severe vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pains and can last for a few days; this is followed by what seems to be a full recovery for a few days but ending in death from kidney and liver failure. The main poison, alpha amanatin, kills liver cells and passes through the kidneys to be recirculated and cause more damage.

Fortunately I was wrong, recovered and discharged after 48 hrs but now I keep a sample and photo of each type that I've eaten so that if necessary I can take them with me to A&E.
-------------------------------------
Thanks for the superb photos and fascinating details of the Brochs and their history.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Seriously......
For about the last 30 autumns I've habitually made soup from mushrooms that I've gathered whilst dog walking. Ten years ago I had a real scare and had to go to A&E when I had a second bout of illness a couple of days after the first and those symptoms indicated that I had eaten some Destroying Angel.
Although causing many fatalities this deadly fungus has no known antidote. The symptoms start several hours after ingestion with severe vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pains and can last for a few days; this is followed by what seems to be a full recovery for a few days but ending in death from kidney and liver failure. The main poison, alpha amanatin, kills liver cells and passes through the kidneys to be recirculated and cause more damage.

Fortunately I was wrong, recovered and discharged after 48 hrs but now I keep a sample and photo of each type that I've eaten so that if necessary I can take them with me to A&E.
-------------------------------------
Thanks for the superb photos and fascinating details of the Brochs and their history.
Destroying Angel Ammanita virosa is a close relative of the Death Cap so I guess it should come as no surprise it kills in a similar way. But the famous Magic Mushroom Amanita muscaria is also in the same family and that only sends folk loopy. :)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
That I am here now writing this is probably a sign yesterday's foraged mushrooms were safe. They were delicous for breakfast this morning. Of course the symptoms of poisoning by the lethal Death Cap may not appear for twenty fours - so check back tomorrow for any updates. :)

Today looked like the best day of the coming week so we drove to Skye via the bridge at the Kyle of Lochalsh.

View attachment 539560

As before the blue blob, on the right, is where we are staying. There is a large Co-op supermarket at Kyle of Lochalsh which we will visit on Thursday before we head north into regions with fewer shops. On the way to Skye this morning we went past Eilean Donan Castle. This is much visited and much photographed because of its spectacular location jutting out into the loch. It's best photographed in the afternoon or evening because in the morning the sun is behind it. But I'll just present my photo as a thoroughly well planned artistic effort. As opposed to "I must remember to photograph this again when we return from Skye."

I forgot and didn't so this will have to suffice. :)

View attachment 539606

Our route on the island went through Broadford where I topped up with LPG. The mylpg.eu website was showing it was out of gas but they have some now. This is one of the very few places on the west coast you can get LPG.

We crossed over to the west side of the island going through Carbost and Portalong which you can see on the map.

A bit further north we found our objective, the Dun Beag broch. Brochs are stone towers mostly confined to the north of Scotland and near the coast or on islands as can be seen by the red blobs on this map.

View attachment 539566

A notice board in the small car park had some useful background information information.

View attachment 539574

A board beside the broch itself had more.

View attachment 539575

The image above shows a key feature of brochs - they had cavity walls! I thought before this visit that the gap was used as a walkway but the picture suggests the gap was only wide enough for this near the bottom.

The broch has suffered a bit over the last two thousand years and is just a stump now.

View attachment 539576

We ascended by the direct route to the right in the photo above but an easier route is to go around the broch on the left and approach it from the rear - this is how we returned.

The remaining intact bits of wall show some good workmanship.

View attachment 539578

I don't believe the stones have been worked, just selected and placed with care - as in any good dry stone wall.

When we got to the top we could see the double wall structure. There were steps at this point, very small steps which were only as deep as half the length of my foot so I had to descend them just on my heels.

View attachment 539595

The interior with model posing to give scale. Mrs DBK has small feet so would have had no problem using the stairs.

View attachment 539599

A wider view. The double wall is visible on the far side.

View attachment 539600

A little store room.

View attachment 539601

The coast is spectacular - if you have the weather to see it. We didn't.

View attachment 539602

Our final stop was a chambered cairn which wasn't quite as interesting as the broch. It was probably once covered in earth and the dead or more likely their ashes placed inside it in cavities between the rocks.

It doesn't look much now but the spirits of the previous occupants have a nice view if they are still around.

View attachment 539608

We ate lunch in the car park of Dunvegan Castle which is beside the small town of Dunvegan. With a name like that it should be full of butchers but wasn't. You can visit the castle which claims to be the oldest which has been continuously lived in but we weren't attracted as it has been extensively improved over the centuries and lacks a bit of authenticity to my jaundiced eye.

We also drove past the C&CC site on Skye, which is near Edinbane on the map above. It has a stunning location above a loch - recommended for that alone.

Back at CMC Morvich the wind is getting up now and it looks like we're are in for some heavy rain. You have to love Scotland to come here in this sort of weather. The bottle of scotch I bought may need to be sampled. :)
Really enjoyed reading your posts thank you. Enlightened a passion to get back to Scotland for another adventure sometime soon - maybe end October when the weathers better!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Today is the Autumn Equinox which I used to think meant that this was the day when the length of daylight and darkness were the same. I've recently discovered this is not true and daylight today will in fact be a little longer than the hours of darkness. The date when day and night will be the same length this year is 25 September, known as the Equilux. The reason for this is today the centre of the Sun will cross the horizon at sunset today exactly 12 hours after its centre crossed it this morning when it rose but of course with half the Sun still visible at these times there will still be light. Additionally the atmosphere bends the light of the Sun so it can be seen about 10 minutes before or after it actually rises or sets.

The closest full Moon to the Autumn Equinox is known as the Harvest Moon. This was two days ago on 20 September but the weather was better last night for a photograph of it peeking through clouds.

PXL_20210921_214701283.NIGHT.jpg

Taken with my phone using its night setting.

It rained almost continuously this morning but things improved after lunch and I could take Charlie for a walk from the site. The Greylag geese were a bit closer to the road today.

P9226289 (1).jpg

There is a cemetery close to the site with the remains of a church dedicated to one of the more obscure saints, the Fifth century St Dubbtbach.

P9226297.jpg

The smaller stone in the foreground is a War Grave. The date is interesting, 1920, which had me looking up the last date of First World War graves. The answer is 31 August 1921 which is considered the official end of the War. Up to that date those killed in training or even victims of the 1918 flu epidemic were given a War grave stone. I didn't notice it at the time but the larger stone on the right above gives a history of the MacRae family from which you can see Piper Christopher died at Windsor.

P9226296.jpg

There was another CWGC grave nearby and another MacRae too. I once knew someone who had served in the Seaforth Highlanders but the regiment is no more now.

P9226294.jpg

Looking back towards the site, which is in the trees on the right beyond the river.

P9226292.jpg

Tomorrow we move north to Kinlochwe beside Loch Maree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've decided we'll take the scenic route to Kinlochewe by taking the coastal route through Applecross. This is the bit of the NC500 which gets blocked from time to time by MHs getting stuck on the bends! :)

Tune in for tomorrow evening's report. Assuming we can get a phone signal if we are stranded somewhere. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
It looks lovely and you're whetting my appetite to get up there.
I may have missed it in your first post but did you book a series of sites before setting off or are you booking sites as you go or just winging it using 'Camperstop' type apps according to where you fetch up?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It looks lovely and you're whetting my appetite to get up there.
I may have missed it in your first post but did you book a series of sites before setting off or are you booking sites as you go or just winging it using 'Camperstop' type apps according to where you fetch up?
All booked ahead. Not something I've done before but it seemed prudent at the time. I think you could get away now without booking as all the sites we've been on have had a few empty pitches - but only a few. Being Scotland you can get away with pulling over anywhere but we prefer the en-suite plumbing of sites - especially in this weather. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
All booked ahead. Not something I've done before but it seemed prudent at the time. I think you could get away now without booking as all the sites we've been on have had a few empty pitches - but only a few. Being Scotland you can get away with pulling over anywhere but we prefer the en-suite plumbing of sites - especially on this weather. :)
Thanks.
I'm not one to book ahead either or use sites as a rule but at this time of year, especially oop North, the weather can quickly turn pretty grim so I'd go for a proper site too. After all, it is a pleasure trip rather than survival training.

Deleted User
In the early seventies, a few years after we were married, we joined my mum and dad on a touring holiday of Scotland, us in a tent they in a Commer campervan.
We stopped at a small site by the Lochside at Dornie, me and dad hired a boat and went fishing in the Loch by the castle and caught two lovely cod.
What brought this memory back was the mention of the McCraes, the graveyard at Dornie was full of them. A little research just now via Google and I find that the castle was the clan chiefs plus other interesting facts.

May 8, 2011
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Thanks.
I'm not one to book ahead either or use sites as a rule but at this time of year, especially oop North, the weather can quickly turn pretty grim so I'd go for a proper site too. After all, it is a pleasure trip rather than survival training.
We’ve just returned from 3 weeks in the highlands and prebooked sites however they were completely jammed full. There were a lot of wild campers out there and the roads are terrible. Here is a photo of the pub we stopped at for lunch.
658443C7-97C9-4293-9484-F5461334CA58.jpeg
658443C7-97C9-4293-9484-F5461334CA58.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
We’ve just returned from 3 weeks in the highlands and prebooked sites however they were completely jammed full. There were a lot of wild campers out there and the roads are terrible. Here is a photo of the pub we stopped at for lunch.
View attachment 540157View attachment 540157
😲
Good gracious!!!!
Was that a pub which allows overnight stops or were they just there for the grub? Either way it's remarkable.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As planned we visited the Co-op at Kyle of Lochalsh first today after leaving the site at Morvich. It isn't a huge store by Co-op standards but we found all we needed to survive the coming weekend. :)

Afterwards, we travelled north first on the A890 then from the head of Loch Carron on the A896. This road set the trend for the day, it may be an A road but it had single track stretches. :)

But this single track stuff was just a warm-up for what followed. At Tornapress we turned off the "main" road onto the road to Applecross and also onto probably the most challenging stretch of the NC500. Sensible folk would stay on the main road. :) The route we took doesn't show on the map below at this zoom level but you should be able to see Tornapress in the lower right and opposite it Applecross. In between the two are some lumpy bits. The road goes over these. :)

Screenshot_20210923-184552_Maps.jpg

This is Sgùrr a Chaorachain and is apparently an easy hill to climb - because the road climbs up behind it.

P9236310.jpg

The tricky bit starts soon after here.

P9236316.jpg

The "crux" of this stretch is the Bealach na Ba or "Pass of the Cattle". I've read it's the steepest single track road in Britain but I'm not 100% sure if it is. But it is twisty with two or three interesting bends. I haven't edited the video and it goes on a bit at the end but it may give you a reasonable impression of this road. I didn't find the steepness an issue but it is narrow with crumbling edges in places and some of the passing places would be tight for a Smart car. :)

We reached Applecross at lunch time. Finding the two car parks packed we drove on to discover a small place to pull over behind a beach a mile or so further north.

Lunch eaten we continued onward soon passing another attractive beach which had its own car park.

P9236322.jpg

The road after Applecross is still single track but much better than the first stretch. The road is wider and the passing places are more MH shaped.

After turning the corner at the top of this blunt peninsular we headed east towards the Torridon Hills, which have some of the oldest rock in the World and is popular with walkers.

Here are some general shots of the sort of scenery you can expect up here. Ideally in better visibility than we had but it is still stunning in the gloom.

P9236331.jpg
P9236332.jpg
P9236336.jpg
P9236334.jpg

We are now at the CMC site at Kinlochewe. Here from a high altitude, we are under the blue blob Upper left centre. :)

Screenshot_20210923-184257_Maps.jpg

And closer in.

Screenshot_20210923-184319_Maps.jpg

Weather forecast isn't brilliant but I'm sure we will find something to do here. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to add this photo, taken outside the site this evening.

PXL_20210923_145224878.jpg

A Swift Kontiki arrived just before us but were turned away as they had no reservation.

Still busy around here it seems although the traffic on our route today was very light.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back