Two Go Round a Bit of Britain (Part 1) (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'll get the grammer issue out of the way first. :) Should the title be "around" or "round"? Having exhaustively studied this question, or in other words I asked Google, I've come to the decision either word can be used. So there, it's done. We are going round a bit of Britain and this is Part 1 which is going to be very short as it only involves two campsites in Cornwall. But it's a start, Part 2 will begin in September and involve Wales, the Lake District, Scotland and the largely unknown to me East Coast of England. :oops:o_O

This is where we are today, under the blue blob at the CMC site near Tintagel on the Cornish North Coast.

Screenshot_20210518-172046_Maps.jpg

And bringing my drone to a lower altitude. Spooky that Google Maps adds my booking...

Screenshot_20210518-172119_Maps.jpg

What is it with the letter T in Cornish place names? Genuine question. :)

We are here because the site is just yards from the coastal footpath - and cliffs so this is not a place for somnambulists. :)

The edge of the site is in the top right of this photo and the cliffs and the path to the left.

PXL_20210518_151612362.jpg

Charlie led the way...in a light drizzle. :(

PXL_20210518_152957296.jpg

A bench with a view.

PXL_20210518_154229210.jpg

And another bench with sea views. This is looking north with the edge of Boscastle on the right.

PXL_20210518_154303242.jpg

The only shadow over our plans is the weather. The forecast is somewhat damp with the exception of tomorrow. Gales expected on Thursday!

Screenshot_20210518-172520_BBC Weather.jpg

So we must make the best of our one sunny day! There are a lot of geocaches around here and they will keep us busy tomorrow. :)

Screenshot_20210518-184935_Geocaching.jpg

The one highlighted is themed around the wreck of an Italian sailing ship, the IOTA which hit the rocks below this headland. It's a puzzle cache and you have to work out the coordinates of the actual cache from the clues. I think I've done it - and will let you know if I was right tomorrow. :)

Here's the description and clue.

Cache is not at the above published co-ordinates.
Figure the barque's sail plan from the nautical puzzle at the bottom of the cache page to acquire your coordinates.

57b84ff6-3064-4c9a-90df-9ce8a47f1d5a_l.jpg

A barque in heavy sea's

December 20th 1893, a mounted messenger galloped into Boscastle with news that a large ship was driving ashore, but by 4 pm the barque IOTA of Naples with an all Italian crew of eleven men and one boy had crashed under the great Lye rock off Bossiney Cove in a ranging gale and snow storm.

The whole face of the cliff was a mass of foam, some of the crew took to the waves or tried to jump from the mast on to the rock, cabin boy Domenico Cantanese , aged fourteen, was swept away with another seamen who tried to save him.

Two sailors reached the summit of the Lye rock, but though the Rocket Brigade fired a line over them, they were unable to use it.

Ignoring the gale and the fast-falling darkness, Coastguards went down the cliffs and, as the beach ebbed dry, scaled the pinnacle.
Quickly the sailors were sent over to the mainland by breeches-buoy, the other seven survivors were discovered a hundred feet down on the crag’s seaward side.

More Coastguards came over, and with their aid Charles Hambly a 'rockman'at the Longgrass Slate quarry in Tintagel was lowered down the cliff face; standing on a narrow ledge, buffeted by wind and hail squalls secured a lifeline around each of the Italians in turn, and were hauled up to safety.

Only the body of the young cabin boy was recovered from the sea, he’s buried in the windswept graveyard of St Materiana Church Tintagel, where a wooden cross and a lifebuoy bearing his name and ‘Iota, Napoli, 1893’ still marks his grave.

4ee8a8d3-d75d-406c-962b-ecca4c20e31b_l.jpg

Cache can be found at N50 40.ABC W004 44.DEF

A = Inner jib + Flying jib.
BC = (Spanker boom x 4) + Main sail + Fore topgallant sail
D = Fore lower topsail.
EF = (Flying jib x 2) + (The gaff top sail x 2) + Fore topmast stay sail.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Were there a couple of weeks ago, some great walks though a little challenging for the less fit, the little valley below the site is beautiful with the stream and derelict mill. Enjoy the stay though I am afraid you will have to take cover on Friday if you are still on those clifftops. Where are you headed next?
"Tre" is the Cornish prefix for an old settlement, you will also find a lot of "Pen" which means headland and "Pol" which is pool if that helps.
Not a Cornishman but have been here 20 years and nearly accepted as an incomer rather than an emmet (ant) now.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
So we must make the best of our one sunny day! There are a lot of geocaches around here and they will keep us busy tomorrow
Glad it's not just us getting wet in Topsham.

Interested in the geocaching which would be an interesting way to add purpose to our walks and travels. Is there a beginners guide to get me started??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Enjoy. Lovely photos. We were there at the end of lockdown. The walk to Tintagel is a good, albeit challenging, one. Have you been up to the waterfall? Out of the top of the site, turn right, 15 minutes walk to the turning opposite the bus stand. Then a nice walk up to the falls.
Keep well and stay safe. 👍

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interested in the geocaching which would be an interesting way to add purpose to our walks and travels. Is there a beginners guide to get me started??

for my sins in a former life I am married to a cacher 🤔🙂

I believe Mark Twain wrote

‘golf is a good walk spoiled’

I say

‘geo caching has a good walk totally ruined’

it actually isn’t too bad, but very frustrating at times 🤔👍

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What is it with the letter T in Cornish place names? Genuine question. :)
Well I was going to quote the couplet
"By Tre, Pol and Pen
Though shalt know all Cornishmen"
but I see Phileas Fogg got in there first!

• Nice One!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for part one. I love that part of Cornwall, have you been to the beach at Trebarwith Strand? It’s a fabulous beach and dog friendly all the year (a)round.

We’re on the east coast right now. There are lots of lovely places for you to discover.

• Thanks
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We’ve been using an app called walking world for years now and it’s brilliant. You just pop in a post code of the area you are visiting and it will give you various circular walks in that area.
You can choose difficulty and select options like pub, cafe on route. It will give details of parking at the start of each walk and photos at each location where the direction changes. There is a subscription (think about £16 per year) but if you enjoy your walking worth every penny.

DBK enjoy your trip we were there last week rained most mornings but afternoons pretty good.👍😎

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We’ve been using an app called walking world for years now and it’s brilliant. You just pop in a post code of the area you are visiting and it will give you various circular walks in that area.
You can choose difficulty and select options like pub, cafe on route. It will give details of parking at the start of each walk and photos at each location where the direction changes. There is a subscription (think about £16 per year) but if you enjoy your walking worth every penny.

DBK enjoy your trip we were there last week rained most mornings but afternoons pretty good.👍😎
I will check that app out. We use alltrails app great for free or you can subscribe which gives you downloadable maps.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This seems a useful introduction.

You don't need a "proper" hiking GPS and for (probably) almost every occasion a smart phone will work fine. I said "probably" in brackets because until recently I thought you needed one when you had written coordinates such as the IOTA cache mentioned above gives you. I now realise Google maps can do it all. You can enter N 52 40.5666 W 004 45.5432 in the search bar and it will take you to that spot. It can cope with other coordinate formats too, such as minutes and seconds. The only niggle I have is I think a good hiking GPS should work better under trees - where smart phones can struggle. But that hasn't been tested in the field yet!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
If you walk down to the mill, have a look for the carvings in the rock behind it. More info here...

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you walk down to the mill, have a look for the carvings in the rock behind it. More info here...

Thank you. :) We will see if we can find them tomorrow.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I will check that app out. We use alltrails app great for free or you can subscribe which gives you downloadable maps.
Actually I’ve just checked it out and you can use for free. Can’t remember why I subscribed I guess we were using it so much I felt like I should make a contribution!😂
I think with subscription you can follow your walk on the map and download as many as you like👍

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've had a day of perfect weather although the forecast is going to change for the worse very soon. But we made the best of the break and walked along the coastal path to Tintagel this morning. As others had warned, the walking around here is "strenuous". :) Going south west from the site there are two deep valleys to cross. This photo was taken looking back after crossing the first of them, named the Rocky Valley. The CMC site where we are staying is in the distance.

P5196059.jpg

A little further on we caught the first glimpse of our first destination, the Willapark headland. It isn't obvious from this angle but the right-hand part of the headland is more or less separate from the headland. This is the Lye Rock where the Iota, mentioned above, came to grief in 1893. The geocache I was after is on the headland, or perhaps not, because we subsequently couldn't find anything at the coordinates I had worked out from the clue. :(

P5196058.jpg

But to reach the headland we had to drop down and climb out of another valley above Bossiney Haven, which is a nice beach when the tide is out.

The next headland was Barras Nose and once past it saw the tourist magnet of the Tintagel island. Its the bit on the right and if you look very closely you can see the new bridge acoss to it.

P5196062.jpg

But the bridge is easier to see when you get a bit closer. :)

P5196067.jpg

We didn't visit, for a number of reasons, firstly you have to pre-book on line, secondly it's £15 a head (£14 for wrinklies like us) , thirdly, the legend stuff around this site is bollacks!

We turned inland at the cafe at the landward end of the bridge and walked up a very steep road into Tintagel village. Not a lot to see here but the locals can relieve you of any surplus cash in a variety of ways. What was a surprise was finding the main car park takes MHs overnight for a very reasonable £5.

P5196068_1.jpg

P5196069.jpg

I forgot to look for the grave of the Iota's cabin boy although it is in a church a little past Tintagel, further down the coast.

We walked back to the site on the road, there is a pavement half the way but the road without a pavement was fairly wide and it wasn't difficult walking back this way. It was a three hour walk but if you didn't stop for unfound geocaches it could be done in probably two hours.

In the afternoon I took Charlie in the opposite direction along the coastal path and actually found a few geocaches. :) The path this way was easier but this 5 step stile (6 if you count the one on the ground) was interesting.

PXL_20210519_162516804.jpg

And the final geocache earned me a bonus. This won't mean anything to most readers, but I was mildly chuffed. :) It's the one at the bottom, I've become an Ultimate Explorer!

Screenshot_20210519-172300.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Great photos with good detail and colour DBK
May I ask what camera you use ?
Most were taken with an Olympus OM-D M10, although the last two were taken with a Google Pixel 3a phone. All the images were tweaked a bit afterwards in the mobile version of Adobe Lightroom on an Android tablet. This is a subscription program but the free Google Photos app does a very good job as an alternative.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
What is it with the letter T in Cornish place names? Genuine question

I tink it is to do with tin mining 😂

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fabulous write up. Have you read The Salt Path by Raynor Win ... the description of your walk put me in mind of the book.
I've heard of that book but haven't read it yet. I'll put it on the wish list. Many thanks. :)

Nov 11, 2019
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Hymer tsl708
Exp
A while now
We start our round the Uk trip next month going anti-clockwise.
2 years late starting due to COVID-19
Still arguing about how far inland we can deviate to cut a few corners.
We’ll give you a passing wave DBK.

Nov 11, 2019
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Hymer tsl708
Exp
A while now
The Salt path is a great read, sadly we missed the couple walking even though they had to walk through our garden at Hallsands,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back