Oct 6, 2017
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Since 2017
So question...

I have only ever had a single motorbike at a time, currently have a 2009 Triumph ST1050, which i really like.. But soon to get my first motorhome, so my plan is i want to only take the ST1050 if we want to use it to go touring on it using the motorhome as a base camp.

But for other times thinking of a small moped/motorbike :h:00cc to carry either in garage or a side mount trailer. For hacking about on into towns etc, that i really wont care too much about something cheap and cheerful.

Whats multibike insurance like? is it similar in cost to a single bike or better to have separate insurance (though quite expensive i would expect...) What people's experience of this....

Thanks....

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
I have 2 bikes; a Bonny T100 for bike meets & day rides & a VFR 1200 Crosstourer for long distance riding. I maintain two separate policies each with their own NCB. This is purely my own preference though. If you want a small bike to mount or carry in or on your motorhome, the first question has to be how much weight capacity have you got to play with? That will then determine whether you can carry a bike in your vehicle's garage or on a trailer. I would advise a trip to a weighbridge & get them to weigh the load on your rear axle/front axle/gvw & then determine the payload & train weight you have. I had an Easylifter Hydratrail transverse 'trailer' that was rigidly mounted to the drawing vehicle & with castor wheels fitted. This made reversing a doddle. 85% of the vehicles weight was borne by the trailer not the drawing vehicle so you might get away with taking your Tiger with you, without the need for a small bike. By the way; VOSA classified the Hydratrail as a rack because it did not conform to their definition of a trailer(because it couldn't articulate, from recollection).
Hope this helps..

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
So question...

I have only ever had a single motorbike at a time, currently have a 2009 Triumph ST1050, which i really like.. But soon to get my first motorhome, so my plan is i want to only take the ST1050 if we want to use it to go touring on it using the motorhome as a base camp.

But for other times thinking of a small moped/motorbike :h:00cc to carry either in garage or a side mount trailer. For hacking about on into towns etc, that i really wont care too much about something cheap and cheerful.

Whats multibike insurance like? is it similar in cost to a single bike or better to have separate insurance (though quite expensive i would expect...) What people's experience of this....

Thanks....

When I had two bikes (I'm now just down to the one, a lovely 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 :)) - I just insured both via Bennetts, Swinton or whoever was cheapest at the time and the premiums were very reasonable but they did quote separate premiums for each bike. I think they work on the basis that you can only ride one at a time so the risk for accident cover is not that much greater.

If you're looking for a cheap and light(ish) moped I believe the Suzuki Address is well regarded on this forum - never ridden one myself so certainly have no idea if they work "two up" but they get consistently good reviews and are lighter than the Honda equivalents.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think they work on the basis that you can only ride one at a time so the risk for accident cover is not that much greater.

Often wondered if you could still get a 'rider policy' like in the 70's.
Cover for any number of bikes simultaneously owned.
As above, you can only ride one at a time.....unless you work in a circus.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
So question...

I have only ever had a single motorbike at a time, currently have a 2009 Triumph ST1050, which i really like..

When I had two bikes (I'm now just down to the one, a lovely 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 :))

Completely off topic (sorry) but do you know that there's a Sprint Forum where you can get all kinds of info from a great bunch - mostly BMW riders these days it seems, but loads of help and knowledge still there (and run outs / tours etc) (y) :)

http://sprint.bikersoracle.com

sprintbanner.jpg

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Often wondered if you could still get a 'rider policy' like in the 70's.
Cover for any number of bikes simultaneously owned.
As above, you can only ride one at a time.....unless you work in a circus.
I don't think so. Apart from anything else I think the new legislation that requires all registration numbers to show up on the insurance database has put paid to that.
I have 3 bikes that are all over 15 years old now so I've got them on a classic bike policy for about £160. It would seem the cost is based on the highest risk bike (a Harley in my case) and the others add very little.
Previously I used eBike where I've had 4 bikes and 3 riders on the same policy.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I don't think so. Apart from anything else I think the new legislation that requires all registration numbers to show up on the insurance database has put paid to that.
I have 3 bikes that are all over 15 years old now so I've got them on a classic bike policy for about £160. It would seem the cost is based on the highest risk bike (a Harley in my case) and the others add very little.
Previously I used eBike where I've had 4 bikes and 3 riders on the same policy.
What company are you with please, my insurance is just over £325 for 3 classics and a new 125 scooter.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have 2 bikes; a Bonny T100 for bike meets & day rides & a VFR 1200 Crosstourer for long distance riding. I maintain two separate policies each with their own NCB.
I always thought you had to declare any crash or loss ???

a No claims bonus, is just that. Not "no claims on this bike"

But I've had 3 beers, so probably talking bollox :)

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
I always thought you had to declare any crash or loss ???

a No claims bonus, is just that. Not "no claims on this bike"

But I've had 3 beers, so probably talking bollox :)
You have to declare any collisions or indeed anything that would affect the risk and premiums are adjusted accordingly but NCB is earned. Where you have a claim on a policy, the policy conditions determine any subsequent loss of NCB ON THAT POLICY ALONE.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Where's VWAlan pushing the virtues of the Chinese DAX
i,m here pappa.
i have 4 bikes on one policey . my 1500 drifter a suzuki tu 250 grasstracker, a suzuki gn 250, and my great chinese easy rider dax .
zenith are the insurers and its done through our local broker.
another insurer used to be one they used but cant find the old paperwork. dare say the broker shops around to get a good deal .

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I’m with Lynbrook Insurance, have been for a while, none of the other big insurance companies on the MCN website could recognise my Suzuki Tempter 400 being a grey import, so I have not changed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just avoid Carole Nash..
Starts off looking good then they bite you in the bum

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think so. Apart from anything else I think the new legislation that requires all registration numbers to show up on the insurance database has put paid to that..

You can have a policy that covers multiple, but defined, bikes. They issue a separate insurance certificate for each bike.

Ian

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am with Carol Nash , I have a 125 cc Lexmoto Scooter , £1050 brand new including double top box , taxed and one service delivered to the door
weighs 110 kg ,
and a HD Electraglide Ultra Classic all on one insurance , they didn't charge to add the lexmoto .total cost £207 ,Full european breakdown on both , but they wont cover the lexmoto for Morroco .

I have just changed to a 6 wheel policy covering the car and the bikes which will save me around £120 over the next year ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back