LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
.....spotted I n Kirkcudbright yesterday. One of them probably more ‘off road’ capable than the other ?
The Hymer would suit my needs nicely :cool:

68CD223E-193C-4091-98F8-1A1812D2DE46.jpeg

3B1D1049-DAF3-41BC-9339-B9C82979AA3D.jpeg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All depends on the tyres, a decent set of Goodrich would do nicely, a lot more suspension clearance too, than the standard one like mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its down to suspension and clearances and tyres on anything that is other than what I specified , as to off road capability. CS allow you to spec how much you need , and I agree that can make quite a difference.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Ooo! I was at the Edinburgh festival at the w/e and we stayed At mortonhall campsite, nice place. On the second day a fully kitted out new Unimog turned up, winches, enough light s to signal mars, tyres bigger than ma kids, motorcycle rack, custom built the works; the full on, round the world/zombie apocalypse, Armageddon bug-out monster. I loved it! Nearly passed out when I saw it...should have taken a piccy; DOH!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Mazda Bongo I used to have one. It was great but only a camper, I traded it for a pvc

Me too was a cracking wee machine, only had the two wheel drive one but went from here to the moon on a gallon of diesel.
Electric side window blinds too oh & mid engine to boot, twas like a wee mountain goat.
IMG_0229.JPG(1).JPG

IMG_0231.JPG(1).JPG

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Me too was a cracking wee machine, only had the two wheel drive one but went from here to the moon on a gallon of diesel.
Electric side window blinds too oh & mid engine to boot, twas like a wee mountain goat.
View attachment 325905
View attachment 325906
They have overheating problems and I still remember climbing a hill in France at 34 degrees with a Harley on a trailer and the air con on full. I spent more time watching the temperature gauge than the road.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
They have overheating problems and I still remember climbing a hill in France at 34 degrees with a Harley on a trailer and the air con on full. I spent more time watching the temperature gauge than the road.

The trouble was usually caused by folks not knowing how to bleed the air from the cooling system, its an extremely long winded affair as there is separate heating for the rear & therefor two different heating matrix were involved.
The radiator becoming choked by crap was usually what led to overheating issues in the first place. No amount of back flushing or chemical cures would fix it, a new radiator was the only real answer.
The vehicle could run perfectly for years until you were towing or labouring the engine up an incline in hot temps, then the overheating showed itself in no uncertain manner lol.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The trouble was usually caused by folks not knowing how to bleed the air from the cooling system, its an extremely long winded affair as there is separate heating for the rear & therefor two different heating matrix were involved.
The radiator becoming choked by crap was usually what led to overheating issues in the first place. No amount of back flushing or chemical cures would fix it, a new radiator was the only real answer.
The vehicle could run perfectly for years until you were towing or labouring the engine up an incline in hot temps, then the overheating showed itself in no uncertain manner lol.
The one I had was fine, I did put a new thermostat in it and bleeding it was fun (not) I also did the gauge modification and fitted an ialert. It was fine but the worry is because if the ally head overheated it needed a new head. But it was a great camper and I loved driving it it didn't seem to notice half a ton of Harley on the back
They are supposed to be 4 berth but we never had more than 2 plus a small dog

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had a earlier people mover version , with the power sliding roof , 4wd all the bells and whistles , when living in Western Australia , bought as runabout for wife . Never had any o/heating , and it used to get to
40C+ , even when used it to tow a train of three augurs like these . :Eeek::cooler:
5d9a3ee587c450759b0da69fbce3769e.jpg

A friend used to manufacture them and we were visiting some people who lived in a town about 100km away where one of his dealers were :)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
In 6 years of ownership i had no problems with overheating other than my paranoia. They are designed to be used in a country with much larger temperature variation than the UK, but the age and poor maintenance can be against them. Knowledge is king thus i had 5 temperature sensors (arduino) and a catch tank on the pressure overflow with float switch to indicate blown headgasket, low level indicator probably too late, but better than nothing. Mpg poor drivability excellent, numerous layouts available. You also learn how to pack and not waste space. We now have a 6m palace.
Ps used to tow a pennine folding camper in Wales regularly, space not a problem. Different configurations for different uses,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back