twin wheel levelling (1 Viewer)

Pastryboy

Free Member
Jul 29, 2018
Funster No
Hi

New to all this so... I have a twin wheel ( not axle or tag ) on a ford transit Dethleffs Fortero and was wondering do I need wider ramps or is there a better way ?

Ta

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I also have a twin wheel transit bass MH. I hardly ever use the ramps but when I do it’s just on one of the twin rear tyres.
Generally it’s only for a short period and as the wheels are stationary the load is static not dynamic one tyre can easily cope without damage.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can use either 2 single ramps, one for each of the twin wheels on the same side, or get wider ramps, but you do need to support both of the wheels so that the weight of the other isn't just 'hanging' on the axle. You could use planks of wood but that would be heavy to card around. Only alternative is to position the MH so that you only have to use the levellers on the front wheels but that's not always possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use a standard ramp under the outer of the pair. Static loads on the tyre are probably an order of magnitude less than when coping with uneven roads. The only time I'd consider a better arrangement is if I wasn't using the van for a longer period and felt the need to have it level. But I don't.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We turn the van so that you can use under the front wheels, if this is not possible then don't bother with levelling. We do have 4 chocks but its carting everything around needlessly on the off chance.
How many occasions is there where it would not be possible to turn the van around?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back