Twin Rear Wheel Ducato Conversion Kit? (1 Viewer)

Ian Morley

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E445
Hi all,

My name's Ian and I've been addicted to my motorhome for almost five years now.

I have a problem which must be a common one? Rear weight. My solution might be a bit whacky or controversial but I can't believe that I can't find a kit out there that allows me to do this so I am hoping that somebody else might have looked into it and maybe found some information that I haven't come across yet? Or even a supplier...

We have a 2007 coachbuilt Bessacar E445 on a Fiat Ducato single rear axle chassis with quite a large rear overhang. I don't believe that I am carrying enough gear to be taking liberties but the rear tyres do like they're under some strain, possibly because the rear overhang is so big. I try to keep anything of any weight towards the front of the vehicle when we are driving whenever possible, but sports gear and clothes is all we ever take, and we spend a lot of money on lighter weight gear to help with this weight issue. To put my experiences with vehicle weight into context I am a tradesman and my work van is absolutely fully loaded with tools and materials at all times but the tyres rarely look like they've got too much weight above them, whereas the motorhome seems to look like they just don't have enough air in them despite being inflated to almost the maximum 60psi that the tyre walls state they can be inflated to. We have taken our motorhome all over Europe in all different seasons, mainly heading to the Alps or Scotland's highlands for the snowboarding and mountain biking and we have never struggled getting up or down any mountain passes so I feel I must not be carrying *too much* weight otherwise I am sure I would have struggled with some of these trips.

My want, is to either find a kit or have one fabricated that allows me to have double wheels on the single rear axle, something you regularly see on Iveco and Transit work vans and pickups but not something I can find any information about for a Ducato when searching Google. I would need to have the rear wheel arches altered but that is no problem, there is a company 25 minutes away that can mould new arches for me. Getting ANY information on double rear wheels for a Ducato is where I am really at my whits end!

I have just ordered 2tonne commercial weight tyres for the rear and I'm hoping that this will make a difference but I'm really keen to bring my double rear wheel plan to fruition anyway as I have convinced myself that it will look and feel much better and will stop me from constantly worrying about it. I had my first ever blow out in any vehicle just a couple of weeks ago on an incredibly hot day at about 65mph and this, along with the humongous tyre egg a fortnight beforehand is what has caused my newfound constant weight worry.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any constructive replies with this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Probably the best solution would be to change the van for one with a decent payload.
No way fitting double rear wheels would be practical, not only would the vans floor need extensive modifications also all the internal cabinet work in the area.
not if you use the carlos fandango method

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ian Morley

Ian Morley

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E445
Seems from your posts that you haven’t considered the all weight of the van with all your bits in it, you could be illegally overweight, hence you really should get it on a weighbridge soon. Re, getting a 2nd exle and wheels, the will not be a kit and you woukd need to do a lot of cut and fabricate on the floor pan and side panels of van.
I suggest you get it weighed and then decide whether you need to rationalise your essentials.
Sorry mate but you’ve not understood what I’m wanting here. Thanks for the reply but I’ve absolutely considered all the weight, I’ve emphasised that I have done this, and it’s not a second axle that I’m wanting, that would be ridiculous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
By the time you have even scratched the surface of this project you could have sold the E445 and bought something with a legally higher payload.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
The old ducatos were twin axles. Often for police command centers or exhibition units.

Fitting retrospectively would be impossible I would think.

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sorry mate but you’ve not understood what I’m wanting here. Thanks for the reply but I’ve absolutely considered all the weight, I’ve emphasised that I have done this, and it’s not a second axle that I’m wanting, that would be ridiculous.
Ok, I think I understand you want to add another wheel either side on the rear axle.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The simplest solution if Arrowcraft don't have anything would be grafting on a Transit or Sprinter twin wheel rear axle. You'll lose payload due to weight of axle but at least it will look right, which is half the battle You'd have a real challenge convincing anybody that you can up the rear permissible axle load but if you really want a challenge then good luck.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well I think this would be perfectly feasible! You should start with a Ford transit twin wheel axel mount that securely under the rear of the van with some dexion or other substantial brackets and if you use strong enough springs there is no reason to cut the floor!
Also another advantage is you could also fit a spare engine under there to help when going up steep hills🙂 this should take your gross weight up to prosecuting heights, I would not bother with the rear brakes with this configuration 🤣

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink............................

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi all you knowledgeable Funster folk.

I have been thinking about how much quicker I could get to places in my van if it could fly.

Does anyone know of any kit I can buy in order to fit wings onto my Ducato Talento?

Could I run a propeller directly from the fan belt?

Will I be able to use my current licence?

Thanks in advance.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all you knowledgeable Funster folk.

I have been thinking about how much quicker I could get to places in my van if it could fly.

Does anyone know of any kit I can buy in order to fit wings onto my Ducato Talento?

Could I run a propeller directly from the fan belt?

Will I be able to use my current licence?

Thanks in advance.

JJ :cool:
Some one asked me just the other day is that a solar panel you are fitting? No I said! It’s a magic carpet to help me fly 🤣

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Until you weight the thing and know the weight on each axle you are on a hiding to nothing. You've ordered some new tyres which from what you've said about your recent experience with a blowout and 'egg' lump seems need replacing anyway (assuming these were on your MH and you're doing all of them).

So get the new tyres fitted with steel valves, then go to the weighbridge and get it weighed properly, if you are over your limit (combined and/or on either axle) then you're gonna have to re-think what you take with you or see if you can move some of it forward assuming the front axle isn't overloaded as this is normally the case.

I can't see anyone being willing to authorise a weight increase if you do as you're planning as you will have substantially modified the vehicle so they are unlikely to put their credentials on the line to support a 'one-off' major modification that just does not make any sense at all (to me at least!), this doesn't even take into the cost of doing it in the first place and the massive hit you will take on re-sale value in the future, the likely difficulty in getting insurance cover etc.

Please just go and weight it so at least whilst you are 'thinking' about it all you will be legal, if you are running a little overweight it's not good but wouldn't generally make the vehicle unsafe, however if you are quite a bit over especially on one axle the driving generally may seem okay until you need to stop in an emergency and if you are involved in an accident you're insurance company may refuse to pay out if the extra weight was a contributing factor.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back