Twin rear wheel chassis - pros & cons? (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Thanks guys. 10t bottle jack, support plates, breaker bar, torque wrench... added to my (very long) shopping list.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'd do with it but there's a multimeter on my list too ;) As far as I can tell I wave it around in the general proximity of some non-functioning electrics and hey presto it'll say "change that fuse there" in the pre-programmed language of my choice.... haha!

But seriously, for changing a wheel in security with a 5t vehicle... I thinks it's something I should be prepared for so thanks for the tips.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
My Hymer is on an older Sprinter than yours David (2003 316 5-speed auto). It has an ESP programme that does what 'funflair' is referring to. Yours may be more sophisticated than mine but it may have limitations. It is a great safety tool under normal circumstances; e.g. it will correct minor wheelspins in snow. However, it is not as useful as a proper diff-lock or limited slip diff in the real goo. (My all-wheel drive Subaru Outback has the latter and the traction is amazing.) If the motorhome is stuck in really slippery mud (has only happened once) the ESP first slows down the slipping wheel, then the other one as that starts to spin. Power to the spinning wheels is reduced progressively to the point where the engine virtually shuts down. At that point the only option is to get out the folding shovel and dig, and/or let down the tyres significantly.
Got an ESP thingymajig myself, I can see I'm going to have to read the manual after 10 years!!
Another plus with the twin wheel single axle Merc (and Iveco) is stability if you have a rear wheel tyre blow out, drove over 50 miles with a shredded tyre in Spain, don't know if the TAG has the same stability, have to say I wouldn't want to haul that much weight with a front wheel drive van which is why I stick with the Mercs.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a Transit based Chausson with the twin wheel axle, and it works well for me.However considering another model I find that the nice new Transit does not have any takers for rear wheel drive, all the major builders use the front wheel drive versions. Pity as I like the Fords and I like the rear wheel drive but cannot have both, I could not think about MB as the costs are way too high.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
My RWD Iveco is great for us as we do dog shows on grass most weekends so no matter what the weather I know I will get out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back