Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
What problems & restrictions are we liable to come across if we buy one of these I am sure you very knowledgable Funsters will be able to enlighten us . Bernie & gill

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
What problems & restrictions are we liable to come across if we buy one of these I am sure you very knowledgable Funsters will be able to enlighten us . Bernie & gill

Tags are likely to be over 3500kg so you might have driving licence issues.

Few garages seem to know how to adjust tag handbrakes properly - I use a truck garage that does.

Levelling rear wheels of tags is not practicable IMO. I just park so that I can level the front wheels - if not, I live with a slight slope.

Having to buy six tyres instead of four.

On the plus side, you get a better payload and they don't waft around on motorways. :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We looked ( and I longed for ! ) a tag axle jobby.. But I was talking to the owner of one of our favourite sites and he mentioned the fact he did not allow them on ( then said if WE got one there would not be a problem LOL !! )

I have heard of this before but never actually heard of anyone being refused.. ( they do tend to tear up the grass when driven in a tight circle )

BUT !!
The biggy is toll roads across Europe.. Tags are always charged considerably more as are twin wheelers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
as with any large vehicle you need to plan ahead if shopping with it for example avoid the busier times and pick the supermarkets with larger car parks so you can find 2 spaces to park across preferably on the end of a row (if you don't go for the end you may find some inconsiderate shopper will park in the bays next to your cab and you may not have enough room to turn to get out) same with petrol stations allow for the rear stepping out when you turn.

a major disadvantage is the amount you can tow many have a limit of 1000kg or less which makes even a smart car on a trailer too heavy for most.

depending on which one you get some are quite low at the rear and can ground out but that goes for any vehicle with a long overhang really.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Some French campsites (municipals - maybe others) don't allow them, neither do they allow twin-axled caravans. I think it is to prevent 'gens de passage' (travellers) from using the sites since the twin-axled Hobby or Fendt seems to be the travellers' caravan of choice.
Having said that, the only site where I have actually seen the restriction, and was asked at booking-in if we had a rear twin-axled motorhome, was at Amboise.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I f you search on the forums, you will find plenty of mentions of tag axles. There are pro's and cons, many already mentioned. MOT' s CAN be a headache, earlier versions (pre 04) had indespension units rather than proper suspension, so were a harsh ride and the brakes were near impossible to get through MOT as it was in effect a trailer axle, whos brakes never are anything fantastic. I even worked at a main dealer who had a tag, and even they had trouble with MOT's!

The next bug bear is the weights - you can have alot on board, but will not be able to have much in a trailer, or tow a vehicle - they are not build for towing, and you don't have enough weight to tow - unless you tow the dog around in his kennel, but that would max you out!

There is also tolls - difference on the severn is something like £10 for a 3 axle. Tamar is an extra £5 and so on.

On the good side, the extra load capacity makes it a booze cruise dream.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well some really strange replies :ROFLMAO: not sure how many actually own a tag :winky:

We've had ours two and half years and done 20'000 miles so far all over the UK and France and Spain several times. Never been turned away from a site ever. Never been stuck on grass ever and we use CLs and CS sites a lot. Ours is 25ft long and has a very short overhang so virtually no tail swing, it also has huge lockers a massive garage and over 1000kgs payload.
We've used it in deep snow with chains no problem we've spent a week in the Alps at minus 25c no problem and will be off to the Alps for 2 weeks next month. We carry a 650 cc motorbike in the garage and still have payload to spare. As for planning ahead we always had to do that when we owned RVs but never plan ahead with the tag just get up and go which was one of the main reasons we bought it.
As someone else said levelling the back can be a bugger but 9 times out of 10 tags are low on the front so its just 2 ramps under the front. I personally do use ramps on the back if needed but the results are never perfect.
Had to buy 2 new front tyres this year same price as any other m/home the rears still have loads left I reckon it'll be close to 2 front sets to 1 rear set.
So thats on honest review from someone who owns and uses one. Having said that some tags now are 30ft plus which obviously brings a few more problems and the very reason we stuck to 25ft max.
I would'nt hesitate to buy another tag.
Hope this helps:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back