• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Twin axle car transporter (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spoke to the owner and he thinks it weighs about 800kgs. The ones I’ve seen are around 550kgs which would be fine
looking at there site I think the owner is correct.1300kg capacity is a 2000kgs gross weight trailer. Heavy old trailer if it is correct. I thought Ifor williams weighed enough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
looking at there site I think the owner is correct.1300kg capacity is a 2000kgs gross weight trailer. Heavy old trailer if it is correct. I thought Ifor williams weighed enough
Seem a bit heavy but that’s what he said.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ask for a picture of the chassis plate. All the details will be on there. :giggle:
Steve
Unbranded trailers in most cases don’t have one I’ve found.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
My point exactly! Although instead of unbranded I like to call them homemade or if professional looking, stolen. the trailer in question was described as a Woodford but looked homemade to me. If it looked like a Woodford and had no plate its provenance may be questionable.
I'm casting no aspersions but it's buyer beware as so many trailers are stolen.
Steve

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Stumbled across another one? Complete with car!

Screenshot_20200226-132232.png

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I don’t think it would matter as long as he does not go over his Gross train weight as his car and trailer would only be 1530kg. I dont think you are stopped from using an over capacity trailer as long as you don’t go over GTW??
Sorry but you are not right there as you can only tow a trailer to what the maximum is of the towing vehicle, so for example a Mh with a gvw of 4600kgs and a gtw of 6600kgs means you can only tow a trailer of maximum
2000kgs as per the manufacturers plate and this is what the ministry goes by and not what the trailer weight is at the time unless it is overloaded on axles or max gvw of trailer
I my self ordered a twin axle Woodford trailer with ramps for my Kia picanto weight about 900kgs empty and trailer unladen weight of 400kgs with a gvw of 1650kgs giving me an additional payload of 350kgs for other stuff that I can get into the car as Mh maxes out all the time. I ordered the trailer to max 70” wide 144” long to accommodate my car with no overhang and it goes into my garage too if I cut out the bottom half of my garage door supports, then replace when trailer inside.
also specified a 2000kgs chassis with 1800kg 5 stud wheels and axles down plates to 1650kgs to stay within my gtw of my mh which is 1650kgs now that I up plated My Mh from 4600kgs gvw and 2000kgs gtw to 4950kgs gvw and 1650kgs gtw só I am now 100% legal if I get a pull. I also have another makers plate with the 2000kgs weight on it that it’s made for if I ever sell it so new owner can just put new plate on trailer to make it a 2000kg trailer that it was made for.
also got a tow bar on my car to back up trailer when I need to reverse it into garage or drive or campsite or wherever, makes life so easy now better than pushing it about.
also had bigger tyres and axles on trailer so when I am towing fully loaded my tyres stay very cool as well within there maximum limits so cuts down on possible blow outs etc especially when towing in Europe in the heat

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I my self ordered a twin axle Woodford trailer with ramps...
about 900kgs empty...
additional payload of 350kgs for other stuff that I can get into the car as Mh maxes out all the time...
also got a tow bar on my car...

Same here.
LWT 072. 1600kg. Great trailer, but I still want a tilt bed!

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Ho yeah wish I had ordered the tilt bed to but hey ho beautiful trailer and does exactly what it’s built for with good build quality
Agree. But we have two linked issues. The ramps are polished steel and the little car can struggle to get up it and onto the trailer in the wet. We thought of putting grip strips on it, but then these would abrade the axle as you slide the ramps home for travelling.

Got a trailer expert in to discuss whether the ramps can be dispensed with and have a beaver tail, or hinged ramps. He said it was do-able, but he was reluctant as the entire weight of the car would briefly be on two small weld joints. He said that it would probably hold, but if it did give way, what would we do then?

So instead, we are going to glue on grippy strips and stow them in the moho garage! Sorted, but I was hoping for a more innovative solution.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Agree. But we have two linked issues. The ramps are polished steel and the little car can struggle to get up it and onto the trailer in the wet. We thought of putting grip strips on it, but then these would abrade the axle as you slide the ramps home for travelling.

Got a trailer expert in to discuss whether the ramps can be dispensed with and have a beaver tail, or hinged ramps. He said it was do-able, but he was reluctant as the entire weight of the car would briefly be on two small weld joints. He said that it would probably hold, but if it did give way, what would we do then?

So instead, we are going to glue on grippy strips and stow them in the moho garage! Sorted, but I was hoping for a more innovative solution.
I had exactly the same problem but a few grippy type of tape strips done the job perfectly and they don’t get rubbed of when stowing the Ramps só perfect job :) also put grippy strips den length of trailer to so wheels grip all the way in as I lift the car up in front wheels when loaded as store stuff under car and used to slip in wet but now perfectly grippy even in wet

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry but you are not right there as you can only tow a trailer to what the maximum is of the towing vehicle, so for example a Mh with a gvw of 4600kgs and a gtw of 6600kgs means you can only tow a trailer of maximum
2000kgs as per the manufacturers plate and this is what the ministry goes by and not what the trailer weight is at the time

Not according to

Department for Transport (see Section 7.3)

Ian

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Sorry but you are not correct if you read DOT guidelines I am right in my post?

It is typical of the entire leisure vehicle industry that there are misunderstandings about this. I'm going towards the DoT line, rather than a dealer that simply wants to sell me a trailer.

My question then goes back to the OPs question. All the smaller twin axle tilt bed trailers that I have looked into, have a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 2000kg. Given that the mohos with 3500kg/2000kg towing, are so popular, why hasn't someone developed a twin axle tilt bed of <2000kg?

Or have they? Or are they only available in single axle?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
. Given that the mohos with 3500kg/2000kg towing, are so popular, why hasn't someone developed a twin axle tilt bed of <2000kg?
You would need to to ask the manufactures that?or buy the next size up that tilts:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back