Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Although planning is still very much in the air, has anyone any experience of buying a MoHome in Oz and then embarking on an extended ( in my case proposed 12 month ) tour ?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The forum has a few Australian members and may be best to speak to them.
I know that there are a few coys. that will sell and buy back after long term stays.
Many people have done this in the past.

I envy your tour and hope you enjoy the experience. We once toured from Sydney to Hervey bay and Fraser Island and back.

Although we were in a car and stayed in motels it was such a memorable tour.
On our trip we met a few campervanners that had been wild camping along the route.
Google has some great sites for exploring and you may be able to join a forum from down under to gleen all the info you need.

Good luck and enjoy

Bobby

aussiemotorhomers.com
motorhomesaustralia.net
freecampaustralia.com

Last edited:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi , sounds like great plan . The size of Motorhome is a personal choice but because of the warmer climate you can get by with a much smaller van . If you google "travellers autobahn: they sell off there ex-rental fleet after a specified time and will offer you a guarantee and a buy back price . It is probably cheaper to buy and register in WA have look at "gumtree perth" usually lots for sale and often includes full camping equipment. we have both bought and hired for long periods in Oz. The van we bought cost 4500 Aus $ and we kept it for a year and sold it for 4300 Aus $ and had no trouble . In my opinion I would not buy an ex backpacker van unless they could prove it had been well looked after . Vehicles seem to last longer and have some pretty impressive kms on the clock . You can buy a book called Campsites Australia about 55 Aus $ current issue 8 and it will show a lot of free stopovers and good route maps . Campsites are probably going to average out about 50 Aus $ per night , I would thoroughly recommend staying in the government controlled DOC sites especially in Queensland .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Bobby and Wanderer : thanks for the posts and the links.

Bearing in mind that we intend living in the MoHome for a year, we had decided on a budget of circa A$100k to buy. We have family in Oz, and the whole point of spending a year there is to decide on whether or not we make a permanent move there or beat a hasty retreat back to the UK.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Have you thought of buying van in UK and shipping to Australia and sell over there we met a couple who are Kiwis and come to UK to buy a new van use it for a year in Australia then sell it for a profit.
then when they come back to UK to visit family they buy another one as the profit on the van pays their air fares to visit family.

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Have you thought of buying van in UK and shipping to Australia and sell over there we met a couple who are Kiwis and come to UK to buy a new van use it for a year in Australia then sell it for a profit.
then when they come back to UK to visit family they buy another one as the profit on the van pays their air fares to visit family.

Now that's something l hadn't thought about. Something else to research :)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Now that's something l hadn't thought about. Something else to research :)

I couldn't be sure but am sure family there can tell you ; I think buying in UK and shipping to Oz and selling is only allowed if you are an Aussie resident. Also if you take out a second hand van it must be empty I believe and all steam cleaned to get rid of soil etc

We did meet a couple from Finland in Freemantle who were arranging the return shipment of their van as it had to be out within a year . They bought a new Hobby in Germany and had it delivered directly to the docks in Hamburg and shipped to Oz . When it returned it was then second hand so the savings he made in not being required to pay VAT paid for the shipping one way.

It was certainly a surprise to turn a street corner to see a European motorhome with Finnish plates !

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
You cant export a vehicle from abroad and sell it in Australia unless you can prove ownership for 12 months prior to permanent visa . You could look for a long term house/car swop we are currently on our 5th swop to Australia and twice have had a caravan included . You do realise that it is very difficult to get a permanent visa unless you hold an aussie citizenship already the cost of contributory visa for two people is approx. 110k Aus $ which is the fee and you have to have the balance of your children already there. Ballina campervans in Queensland have some nice conversions .

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Thanks Wanderer. The plan is not necessarily to seek permanent residency, but to maybe split our year between Oz and the UK. Our son is now an Ozzie citizen and in-depth initial enquiries with the authorities over there face to face, seem to indicate that the hoops aren't as complicated as we first envisaged. They're certainly do able from our perspective.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
We were there in 2009 for 7 months bough a 2nd hand hiace 1988 for 10000ad
in perth sold it for 9000ad in Queens land
we did a out 15000 miles so all ok
point is it had to be re registered in
Queens land much easier to sell in the same state ie Perth. We had a great time in a great country.
You could always deliver motorhomes while you are there for maui or one of the big companies cheap way of experiencing Oz good luck whichever way you do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back