Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Hi,

Please excuse our ignorance here folks, we are picking up our new motorhome tomorrow and one of our must haves this time is a tv. In our present motorhome we do not have a tv.

So the question for you learned people is, do we have too buy a special motorhome tv, or can we use an ordinary one ?
Apart from the 12v option on the motorhome type, we do not see any other advantages, and ordinary TV's are cheaper.
We would appreciate any help or advice on this matter.

Mark & Anne.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ordinary ones fine, especially ones with an external transformer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Not built in on the new van ??
Lots of TV's are now 12 volt and run through a rectifier that plugs into the mains..
Cut it off and plug it straight into your 12 volt.. Job done.
Mitch.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Go Kogan, reasonably priced, robust and does the job.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Cello Traveller range have a DVD player run of 12v without any problems and have FTA & FreeSat tuners built in, been very pleased with our 19" one we have had for 3-4 years.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would go for 12v. Better if you camp off electric. But whatever you get, check viewing angle.
Some tvs are 12v, but don't say it on the box. You would need to look at the connections available on the TV.

OP
OP
Norfolk Red

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Thanks for all the replies.

Mitch, new van to us but not brand new (2010) Autotrail.

Looks like it is homework time, Thanks again everybody.

Mark & Anne.

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Not built in on the new van ??
Lots of TV's are now 12 volt and run through a rectifier that plugs into the mains..
Cut it off and plug it straight into your 12 volt.. Job done.
Mitch.

If you do this it may be prudent to fit one of these unless the TV is specifically sold for vehicle use, it may not like the higher voltage of a vehicle, especially if the batteries are being charged at the same time.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I stand corrected @hilldweller , I did think that one not specifically designed would cope with the bumping about. But now having thought about it, I take my laptop without consideration, and I guess internals not that much different to a tv.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our £100 Kogan has done two continents, 40,000 miles, perfect picture, never missed a beat.

Go Kogan, reasonably priced, robust and does the job.
We also have a faultless kogan but don't think you can get them now.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We've tried most types but Avtex is the best by a long chalk. These TVs are built in a sturdy fashions so the vibrations of roads etc shouldn't do them any harm. In our case this has been true. We did have a Cello 12v TV which was actually half decent but the viewing really had to be done straight on & any scenes on TV that were filmed in the dark were practically unwatchable. You'll need a decent directional aerial too, the old flying saucer ones are not up to modern digital TV. A better but very expensive option is satellite TV with the decoder built into the TV, again Avtex have models that fit the bill. You'll certainly have some trial & error but you've done the right thing by asking on this forum. There's a wealth of experience on here, this is the beauty of the site that Jim has built up. Happy motorhoming & happy viewing.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

Mitch, new van to us but not brand new (2010) Autotrail.

Looks like it is homework time, Thanks again everybody.

Mark & Anne.
Enjoy your new van! We take an avtec tv which we use in the bedroom at home too. Only when away in uk using the wind up status aerial, but never when abroad for 3 weeks etc ( lovely weather and balmy nights so tv not needed!!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had cheaper TVs and currently have an Avtex TV/DVD but ONLY because we got it for a stonking price from Brownhills when they first started doing Ebay and for some reason it was over £100 below what it should have been even though it was still brand new and unopened, and a current model! We wouldn't, however, have paid full price for one so we'd just have got a good cheaper model.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If budget constrains choice, just make sure that it'll run off 12V DC. Some have an external transformer between the mains plug and the TV. Check the small print on the transformer. Many are 12V, and most are DC (just make sure it's not AC).
Colour and sound may not be as good as the more expensive ones but the entertainment is just as good/bad.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sound may not be as good as the more expensive ones but the entertainment is just as good/bad.

Sound is a big problem, in as much as most TVs have small speakers. The solution, a pair of biggish PC speakers plugged into the headphone socket.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
We've tried most types but Avtex is the best by a long chalk. These TVs are built in a sturdy fashions so the vibrations of roads etc shouldn't do them any harm. In our case this has been true. We did have a Cello 12v TV which was actually half decent but the viewing really had to be done straight on & any scenes on TV that were filmed in the dark were practically unwatchable. You'll need a decent directional aerial too, the old flying saucer ones are not up to modern digital TV. A better but very expensive option is satellite TV with the decoder built into the TV, again Avtex have models that fit the bill. You'll certainly have some trial & error but you've done the right thing by asking on this forum. There's a wealth of experience on here, this is the beauty of the site that Jim has built up. Happy motorhoming & happy viewing.
Hi. Enjoy the MH when it arrives. We bought an Avtex and are very pleased with it except the screen is not non reflective and can cause problems with reflection on sunny days or with the lights on. We bought on with Freesat and FreeviewHD tuners. This way, if you are inclined, you can keep up with your local news at home. You don't need a Sky box to watch Freesat just connect the TV to the dish. Get a 5 year warranty by buying from John Lewis though my local store doesn't stock them but you can order one on-line and pick up in-store.
Hope this helps. Regards, Mike
Forgot to say. HD is great on an Avtex

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Finlux. Works well for us. But it won't work in France (will not receive French transmissions). Something to think about if you want to use one abroad.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hilldweller made a very valid point about the sound quality. Most small TV's have the speakers on the rear, just walk around a campsite at night and hear them. We use a pair of PC speakers run off a USB socket, I've made a bracket to hang them from the bottom of the TV, much improved and inaudible from outside the van.

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
I think another main point is make sure its LED as they use much less power out the batteries when off grid..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sound is a big problem, in as much as most TVs have small speakers. The solution, a pair of biggish PC speakers plugged into the headphone socket.
Always wire our to the head unit so that I make use of the van's sound system. Only downside is my Clarion unit draws 2amps which is more than the TV so a bit heavy on power about 3.5A for both.

OP
OP
Norfolk Red

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Well thanks again to everybody who has replied. Quite a lot to take in, but we will get our head around it, not being "techno beings" lol, if all else fails will have to ask the dog ! Give me a hammer and chisel and I'm ok, should be being a carpenter !
Need to sort a tv out for the Christmas away trip, as we have just booked Somerwoods for the Christmas period.

Thanks again everybody.

Mark & Anne.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Does anyone know of a TV for MH with which you can watch one program whilst recording at least one other? Neither Cello or Avtex do one.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have a Toshiba tv/dvd player 240v. Have had it for 5 years cost £100 then. When offsite just plug into an inverter. Ideal.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone know of a TV for MH with which you can watch one program whilst recording at least one other? Neither Cello or Avtex do one.
I've looked for one of them but have found one yet,we used a freesat box or when we can't get satellite signal a freeview box.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I stand corrected @hilldweller , I did think that one not specifically designed would cope with the bumping about. But now having thought about it, I take my laptop without consideration, and I guess internals not that much different to a tv.

Had my £60 tv/dvd for 3 years now,,does about 8000 miles a year,,never a problem.BUSBY.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bought this TV earlier this year and have been very pleased with it. Full HD, in that it has a HD tuner for both Freeview and Freesat. If you are planning to go to France and use their Freeview equivalent you will need a TV with an HD tuner like this one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back