LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I bought an Aldi special 19" tv a few years back as a cheap replacement for my old phillips 14". It came with 3 year warranty but has lasted double that and still going well. perfect HD picture and good enough sound for a motorhome. cost under £100 and that if you remember 6 years back was when they were expensive still
have since bought 2 more from aldi for spare bedroom and for a relative in a nursing home. all have been solid and reliable and if i needed a replacement i wouldnt hesitate to buy another

none were sold as 12v, but the "brick" in the power lead is rated at 12v dc so can be replaced with a simple fused wire costing under £10

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I bought an Aldi special 19" tv a few years back as a cheap replacement for my old phillips 14". It came with 3 year warranty but has lasted double that and still going well. perfect HD picture and good enough sound for a motorhome. cost under £100 and that if you remember 6 years back was when they were expensive still
have since bought 2 more from aldi for spare bedroom and for a relative in a nursing home. all have been solid and reliable and if i needed a replacement i wouldnt hesitate to buy another

none were sold as 12v, but the "brick" in the power lead is rated at 12v dc so can be replaced with a simple fused wire costing under £10

Our is very similar but a Cello that has the "brick" which has been converted to normal hella type plug. Been working now for the last couple of years with no issues, has dvd built in as well. Cost under £100 from Amazon if i remember correctly at that time, not sure what they are now though but as long as the power supply says 12v then it can be changed.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I would like an Avtex but haven't got around to buying one yet.

However, a good caravanner friend has bought himself a cheapie thing from Asda or Tesco and has made that work well in his 'van.

The other thing is that, in three solid weeks of using Udo this year, the TV hasn't gone on once. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest. We talk and play games or star-gaze instead. This is with two children. We've found that once they know CBeebies or whatever is available, they'll ask for it again and again. Leave it off completely and they find other things to do.

I do concede, however, that when the rain falls or you're away for extended periods, the TV can come in handy in some cases. A strong wifi connection gets us iPlayer and Amazon Prime stuff on our iPads / laptops and we can sit anywhere we like with those. But, again, we rarely do that either.

Regardless, the plan is still to buy the Avtex. Once I source a decent set of new gas shock absorbers for Udo first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I lookes at currys not long ago not a single one was 12v from the brick all 15 or 19v so if you try to get one be carefull to have a good look!

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've tried a few telly's that can work on 12v but the constant joggling in a motorhome or caravan eventually knocks ordinary TV's senseless. The Beauty of an Avtex TV is that its built to take punishment that ordinary TV's wont tolerate.

That's what I had hoped but the screen on my Avtex has died and very expensive to repair. It hasn't had a hammering but it has been mounted on a bracket but it should have coped with the jiggling/vibrations surely? Going to get a cheapy now for less than the price of the repair. We didn't use half the features of the Avtex anyway.....

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Technika 22E21B-FHD/DVD 22 Inch Full HD 1080p

Anybody know if these come with a brick and if it is 12V?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back