Tv "wall mounted" or "free standing" (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im considering wall mounting the tv, there is a convenant wardrobe wall behind were it stands so I could place a spreading support on the inside of the wall. Is it nessacerry to remove the tv from the mount for travelling or is it safe to just fold it back to wall? are there motorhome brackets available or just domestic, Im thinking "stronger" to take the forces movement would place on the bracket?

I curently unplug it a pack it in the wardrobe on a pillow, is safe, its out of sight of would be thieves but it takes time to get out ,get the power/signel cable out and fit

what do you do?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
At the moment my TV stands on a table but is wall mounted to make it permanent. TVs are so cheap are they are a target for thieves? Its not something I worry about.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just some thoughts to throw in for consideration.

We decided against wall-mounting for a few reasons. Firstly, the only suitable location was the shower-room wall and there was no access to the rear to strengthen the mounting (well, not without removing the shower lining first). Secondly, it would have been a bit far away from the swivel seats at the front. Thirdly, I wear varifocal spectacles and do not want to have to lean my head back in order to focus on a screen that is mounted too high for comfortable viewing. Fourthly, the TV is out of sight when not in use: I accept Artona's point about the relative value of a TV to a thief, but it was still about £300 and I don't want to offer temptation.

So, it sits on the table when we're watching and is stored in a cupboard when we are travelling - held in place with some foam blocks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
I'm more likeky to drop or trip over it if it wasn't fixed to the wall. :RollEyes:

Its also wired in and ready to go and not taking up table top space.

It's whatever suits your van layout really.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
TV Bracket

I bought 2 of these (Castle Brackets 0151 5485500 £17.99 each free PP) mounted one in the Motorhome and the backing bracket from the other in our bedroom, the cantilever arm stays attached to the TV and you just lift it out of the 'V' aperture in the rear bracket when you want to move it between the bedroom or the van, it only takes seconds.
Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 13

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The back of the casing on many TV's are of plastic construction and it concerned me that if you are on bad roads it wouldn't take long for the excessive movement to crack the plastic casing. Ours is wall mounted but I remove it when on the move as it''s a new plastic cased one, it takes a little longer but I don't worry about the bad roads, especially in Portugal. :Sad:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ours is fixed to the wall but we lift it off while driving to save any vibration working it loose

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine has done nearly 10k and not suffered at all but then it's only a cheap LG not an Avtex :ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The back of the casing on many TV's are of plastic construction and it concerned me that if you are on bad roads it wouldn't take long for the excessive movement to crack the plastic casing. Ours is wall mounted but I remove it when on the move as it''s a new plastic cased one, it takes a little longer but I don't worry about the bad roads, especially in Portugal. :Sad:

I would not worry about the back of the casing being plastic as it has a metal chassis inside that you screw into a VESA mount is designed to take the load.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Mine in stowed position with freesat receiver velcro'd to the wall LG 22" LED using this bracket
receiver-L.jpg

In viewing position
in-use-L.jpg

This is more or less my situatiuon (other side off van) I like vogels brakets, I use them at home

thanks for pics, do you get any movemnt traveling?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No it has never come free of it's own accord and my pre swift autocruise wardrobe wall is 18mm ply so I only put washers and nyloc nuts on other side.
I have 2 230volts skts 2 12volt skts sat/cable point and a switch for fridge assist fans behind there besides the water heater control & Ebuspacher. The tv is 230volts but has a transformer reducing it to 19 volts, this is velcro'd to the wall too. My 230 volt skts are fed from my 350 watt sterling pure sine inverter when not on hookup via auto changeover contactor.
I would google the bracket as I paid about £65 I think.

I should add that the Bush freesat receiver remote works fine but I constantly have to remind SWMBO to point it at the ceiling NOT the TV

ALSO we don't often watch DVD's but in the event I have a sub £30 player that sits on the folding table below should the need arise

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
This is more or less my situatiuon (other side off van) I like vogels brakets, I use them at home

thanks for pics, do you get any movemnt traveling?

We have vogels brackets in out m/h often have it fully extended when travelling so the little fellla can watch a dvd - they dont move at all when we are travelling even when extended.

Ours are the Vogels VFW426 Double Arm Tilt and Turn Wall Mount 10" - 23"

Des

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I remove mine when travelling only because I'm paranoid:roflmto:

I fixed it to the wall using a Svensen SV8 - real chunky mounting.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a very large 36" hanging by no more than 4 x little 4ba screws into brass manf ferrouls set in the plastic rear case
been solid as a rock:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I suppose different people, different requirements.

We keep ours free standing as when not in use in the vehicle we use it at home as a spare in the Bedroom for guests etc.

It is also handy having it free standing as you can move it to outside the vehicle if the weather is nice and you want to sit outside and soak up the sun, have a glass of wine and watch/listen to something interesting on the Telly.

When travelling we store it in a fleece lined bag along with with the remote control and HDMI leads. Keep the Freesat box in another bag with all its gear. So easy when arriving on site.

We have a manufacterers pre defined position (in a TV area between Kitchen and Bedroom with folding doors either side) for the Telly but do always use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back