Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder if atmospheric has any affect. On our home tv today our tv is picking up the signals from the north west and we are in Norfolk.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
If it was I would just pull all the wires out and start from scratch, much easier than trying to follow someone else's wiring.
Pretty much what I am going to do, I know where some of the cables run and how the Teleco is meant to work, the bit I am not sure on is the Alphatronic Tv... but If all the disecq is turned off it should be "dumb" and passive. Lots of coffee and swearing in the morning, and thats just Mrs Vans

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I wonder if atmospheric has any affect. On our home tv today our tv is picking up the signals from the north west and we are in Norfolk.
It can "bounce" when the ionasphere is active but not normally on Tv frequencies. How were you watching Tv, Satellite or terrestrial?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have normal aerial and free view. We normally watch Yorkshire as it better picture than Norfolk but odd times it goes on to northwest. Merseyside and Isle of Man and the radio part is bbc Cumbria etc.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
No idea whatsoever what is going on with your reception! If you are up the top end of Norfolk I can understand the Yorkshire reception but Merseyside and IOM is a riddle...

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
*Update*
After spending considerable time on Lanerboy's van today I can confirm it is buggered ;-) Well one of the feeds from the LNB / Skew control is. No wonder he couldn't get any channels, Tv kept tripping out by pulling excessive current, I measured over 550ma before my meter screamed "short circuit".
On an aside both Tv's (Alphatronics) had default settings for using disecq switching LNB 1-4. This may control the dish remotely on some Sat systems and cause strange results so beware.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
*Update*
After spending considerable time on Lanerboy's van today I can confirm it is buggered ;-) Well one of the feeds from the LNB / Skew control is. No wonder he couldn't get any channels, Tv kept tripping out by pulling excessive current, I measured over 550ma before my meter screamed "short circuit".
On an aside both Tv's (Alphatronics) had default settings for using disecq switching LNB 1-4. This may control the dish remotely on some Sat systems and cause strange results so beware.
Sounds like the dealer is going to have to pay someone who knows what they are doing to sort it.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Would like to say a huge thank you to vansflyer today for all his help what a very knowledgeable guy he is.

I can now go to the dealer and tell them exactly what is wrong and can now see light at the end if the tunnel just need them to play ball and sort it out

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sounds like the dealer is going to have to pay someone who knows what they are doing to sort it.
Dealer doesn't have a clue by the sound of it. I have done sat stuff for 25 years and it still took me a while, very unusual fault. Never had that issue before. Dealer will have a full description of my findings so he should just order the bits in, if he wants to find the fault again that is up to them but I doubt they have the kit I do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Vansflyer Sums it up, most dealers don't have a clue when it comes to these sort of problems. I wouldn't rely on the dealer being able to sort it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you a member of the Carthago Owners Club?
They have a lot of clout with Carthago.
If the dealer doesn't get it sorted they will lean on Carthago who in turn will give the dealer a kick.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Are you a member of the Carthago Owners Club?
They have a lot of clout with Carthago.
If the dealer doesn't get it sorted they will lean on Carthago who in turn will give the dealer a kick.

Yes lenny I have actually joined today

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I would give camper uk a ring they are a carthago dealer and they are also a teleco agent they were quite happy to repair mine under warranty

Ive found out the hardway if you want anything fixed on a carthago do it yourself don't rely on carthago to fix it

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Well its been a while as I have been in France for nearly 3 weeks but spoke to Mal @Vansflyer regards my satellite tv issue and whilst away he has got hold of a new LNB unit complete with new skew system.

I arranged with him to go over today to swap them over which Mal did and tuned BOTH the tv's in and set them up as they should be and hey presto for the 1st time since buying this BRAND NEW vehicle I now have satellite working on both of the tv's.

I would just like to say a huge huge thankyou to @Vansflyer for all his expertise and knowledge in sorting this, I was at my whits end as I had taken it back to the dealer and they FAILED to sort the problem out and didn't seem to know what they were doing so if it was not for Mal and this forum I don't think I would have got it sorted.

I must also stress at this point Mal would not take any money for all his work I tried and tried beer was offered but he refused in good faith what a star.

Mal I owe you don't forget if you need anything I can help you with please just SHOUT (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back