TV suddenly won't find any channels (2 Viewers)

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Hello there !

A new problem has arrived. I've got one of those omnidirectional TV antennas on the roof and I can't get any signal, anywhere. The five-year-old is missing Peppa Pig :(

I've checked the antenna lead and it's not broken between the antenna socket and the TV. I'm wondering if there's a signal amplifier somewhere in the van that I need to look at.

I'm not sure of the antenna brand, i'll find out next time I clean the roof which isn't going to be for a while.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What has happened since the last time it worked?
Been under any low bridges, or in a high gale?
Messed about in any cupboards?
There is usually a cause for every effect.
You may have forgotten to switch something on.
Mine says "No Signal" if the aerial is disconnected or switched off.
You may need to set the aerial to "Powered" under "settings" if someone has been fiddling with those.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Usually the booster is at the end of the lead from the roof Ariel and before the connection to the TV (y)and is powered from the 12 v system.mine needs turning on when I use the TV. but has a nice red led to indicate the booster is on.plus if you have moved you may need to re tune the TV.

OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for all your replies.

There is an inspection panel where the TV signal connection is located. I need to have a look in there.

We travel and retune the TV very frequently but recently cannot get any signals anywhere. I'm not yet aware of any TV settings where you can set an option for 'powered' but I'll have a look.

As for 'cause and effect' - no low bridges but I do remember swiping the TV antenna with a broom when I was cleaning the roof. Maybe I damaged the antenna internally ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Your aerial should be the first port of call in that case.

OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Your right, I should look at the aerial, looks like I could have damaged it with the broom

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello there !

A new problem has arrived. I've got one of those omnidirectional TV antennas on the roof and I can't get any signal, anywhere. The five-year-old is missing Peppa Pig :(

I've checked the antenna lead and it's not broken between the antenna socket and the TV. I'm wondering if there's a signal amplifier somewhere in the van that I need to look at.

I'm not sure of the antenna brand, i'll find out next time I clean the roof which isn't going to be for a while.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

OMG as grandparent to a five year old I can only offer you my heartfelt sympathy!!!!!!! Hope you find the cause to the tv problem QUICKLY.

Heartfelt hug.

;)

OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Movan, she has youtube for Plan B but the TV is my-generation-simple-simple not that I ever get a chance to watch TV even if there is something worth watching.

The broom is one of those with a hose attachment, I'd be devastated if I damaged it cleaning the roof.

I'm going to have another look at the problem this afternoon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It could of course be the area you're in has a very weak signal.
Omnidirectional aerials are not the best at pulling in a signal.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As for 'cause and effect' - no low bridges but I do remember swiping the TV antenna with a broom when I was cleaning the roof. Maybe I damaged the antenna internally ?
Iā€™d refused to work if someone hit me with a broom too.....šŸ˜

OP
OP
Graham of Madrid

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Just a quick update.

Well I've looked and I don't have a signal booster anywhere. The antenna connects straight to the TV and sometimes after re-tuning it might give me four channels and sometimes nothing. It used to be pretty good and returned dozens of channels mostly with good reception. Maybe I was lucky.

Maybe it's time to go back on the roof and hit the antenna again :unsure:

I'm about to go and order an Avtex STH3000 but looking at it I'm sure it should be given the 'ugliest antenna in the world' award. Are these internallly mounted antennae really that good ?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.