Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
we have had five brill trips into Yorkshire now with our autotrail, a few teething problems as expected but pretty much all sorted now apart from one we would like to watch the news in the morning and possibly watch something at night. All but once I have been unable to pick up a signal from our status aerial with booster fitted, in the ingle ton and dales area
I have ordered a strength meter to illiminate a bit of the guess work, mainly wild camping so no other aerials to get an idea. Is a satellite system better for receiving in rural areas and if so we would probably get a system which would be suitable for Europe as we are going next year
Any advice appreciated

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Hi Pete , tried that. We couldn't find any signal at all this weekend in the mall ham area but perfect when back home in morecambe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Get an aerial alignment app for your phone, shows which way to point your aerial.
I have one of those "flying saucer" omni directional things on my roof - useless!
Got an Avtex STH3000, usually pulls in a signal even stuck in a cupboard!
However, in Yorkshire last week even that struggled - I guess it must be them thar hills...

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Would satellite be better? I love it in Yorkshire and will be spending a lot of time there . Don't mind purchasing something that works,oyster seems to be a popular choice

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What kind of Status aerial do you have fitted. The older flying saucer type are advertised as working with digital TV but in reality they simply DONT work. If you have the newer directional aerial all you need is to turn the aerial around to find the signal. Remember too that it matters which way the aerial is, so vertical or horizontal is really important. If your wild camping just take a note of the aerials on houses to see direction & orientation. One further point, I've had to replace two Status aerials in the last 3yrs due to water getting into the aerial head. The quality is not as good as it used to be. I cant remember the type I have now but I think its a Teleco directional aerial & it picks up signals when no-one else has a TV picture.

Hope this helps...Robert.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Having come to the view many years ago that 'the news' had hardly ever had any impact on my life........ if by chance I can't get a TV signal........... I just don't care...........

..... and when I finally get a signal..... I was right..........it still didn't affect me

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A satellite system will probably pick up a signal where an aerial won't a lot of the time but not always. Better? Yes. 100% guaranteed signal? No. They are also expensive.

I guess it comes down to how important the TV is to you.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sat would be perfect.....as long as you arent in a very deep valley or under trees etc.

Unlike a terrestrial tv signal, Once the tv is tuned to the sat you dont need to retune when you move....just point at the same sat again

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
There was no phone signal either, no house aerials to view either from where we camped. Hopefully. Strength meter will help, only a tenner. Phone app wouldn't work coz of no signal area

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have a sat dome ....just press a button and 99 .9 times out of 100 we have tv:) even abroad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not quite sure how - didn't cross my mind - but my aerial alignment app worked despite no phone signal!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
What kind of Status aerial do you have fitted. The older flying saucer type are advertised as working with digital TV but in reality they simply DONT work. If you have the newer directional aerial all you need is to turn the aerial around to find the signal. Remember too that it matters which way the aerial is, so vertical or horizontal is really important. If your wild camping just take a note of the aerials on houses to see direction & orientation. One further point, I've had to replace two Status aerials in the last 3yrs due to water getting into the aerial head. The quality is not as good as it used to be. I cant remember the type I have now but I think its a Teleco directional aerial & it picks up signals when no-one else has a TV picture.

Hope this helps...Robert.

Hi robert
in defence of the status 'fly saucer' I almost always get a digital signal with a retune
only occasionally do I have to revert to the sat dish

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We got the milenco flying saucer earlier this year since then I have never put the satellite dish up it works so well and no messing about moving aerials about quite a bit larger than the status flying saucer though.

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
We used to spend a lot of time in the Dales, and never got a TV signal, ended up using a cheap sat system

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back