TV signal question and options (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
OK, back from a week jolly in the MoHo :Grin:

Now in the evening we do enjoy some TV especially now the evenings are a bit colder, I am finding putting the aerial up, try to get a green (or orange) light on the booster a pain (yes I am getting that lazy!! )

What options do I have? Didn't really want to go satellite dish, but want something that can auto find best signal?

Thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No expert as we don't watch TV in the van, but there are lots of WiFi TV things now that don't need areiel or dish.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Amazon firestick
How does one of those work?
Does it also need a TV?
And a free HDMI port on same?
And will all TVs power a Firestick - if they have USB?

In the MH we use an Amazon Fire HD tablet for their Prime service. Also can use Sky GO, apple TV, etc.
Some of those apps also work on the tablet with content downloaded to it at home (so avoiding data usage on the road).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Avoid the flying saucer Status types, the 570s are ok, but I had Teleco on our Sprinter camper & it could pick up a signal where no-one else could get a picture.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Is that just fixed into position or do you have to raise etc?
You have to raise it & set it to horizontal or vertical, but most of the time I had a decent signal without moving it unless I was in the wilderness.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If most of your touring is in the U.K. a dome does the trick with no problem in windy weather , just need to pitch with a clear sight of satellite.

I have a Roadpro come which never fails in addition to the Hymer factory fitted internal terrestrial aerial as a choice.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Vision plus stick it up.... twist .....autotune...done....just been away for 8 nights and only turned on telly twice..👍

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Necvox for me

Necvox Aerials

I have always recommend these aerials because they are, simple, relatively inexpensive and work well

The Necvox comes with nearly 5 meters of cable, has a strong magnetic base and a small rubber attachment to allow the cable to be passed through a door or window, which can be closed (pic)

Reception with free to air TV is generally very good and there is no need to move the Necvox to get better reception

This is how I use mine :

Generally the Necvox is kept in it’s box whilst travelling from home, once I arrive at my destination it will be put on the van (more on how below) and there it stays until I leave to return home and I drive the van most days whilst on my trips
I’m happy driving around with the aerial attached & it’s never been a problem, the magnetic base keeps it secure. I know of people who have theirs permanently on their MH roof.

I’ve slightly modified mine, by inserting a length of flat co-ax cable (pic)
This has velcro which holds it to the top of the door jamb (2 pics, velcro circled in orange). This allows the door to opened & closed without disturbing the cable

Final pic is Necvox in situ

The Necvox in the main pic is grubby as it’s about 7 years old

Hope this helps, I have no tie up with anyone who sells these and am just a satisfied user – I have tried the similar looking and much cheaper August aerial and it picked up half the number of channels and the signal strength was about half that compared to the Necvox

I’d be interested to hear what I others use

View attachment 402785View attachment 402786View attachment 402787View attachment 402788

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Use a log periodic aerial, not as pretty as the caravan types but they are the best and still low cost. Download the 'Freepoint UK' app to your phone which will give you all the signal strengths and direction Azimith so you know where to point the aerial and which orientation (Hoz or Vert). Add a compass app to your phone and its good to go. I have no issues with TV and I often visit poor reception areas in hilly areas. Don't forget to autotune at each location.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Firesticks etc will need the internet. I believe that streaming is the way to go. Think about getting a mifi and look for a decent offer from one of the phone companies offering a contract with a substantial amount of data each month. We travel all around Europe with our £5 mifi (special deal at Currys 3 years ago), We have a £20 a month deal with vodafone for 100gb a month. We watch everything whenever we want.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
OK, back from a week jolly in the MoHo :Grin:

Now in the evening we do enjoy some TV especially now the evenings are a bit colder, I am finding putting the aerial up, try to get a green (or orange) light on the booster a pain (yes I am getting that lazy!! )

What options do I have? Didn't really want to go satellite dish, but want something that can auto find best signal?

Thanks
First thing to do is get an app on your mobile that tells you which direction you nearest TV transmitter is. The next step is to get a TV Ariel with a booster ( we use an Avtex one as Avtex TV also provides the power to power the booster. Somewhere like castleton you get a great signal but other sites such as CAMC Ludlow Has a weak signal even if you have a booster.

Data is the same it depends on how far from the transmitter and if there is any shading that affects the signal and how many users are connected.

it’s an imperfect world some times signals are good and sometimes not.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We use an app but it depends on your phone compass and mine seems less than reliable. I plugged an old sod hard drive into the back of the Avtex and recorded loads of stuff before setting off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back