TV Setup for europe (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Having read a bit about Sat TV and asked around but still a bit unclear.
For 18 months time motor home.
Want to get tv reception on European trips, not bothered with multiple channels as only watch the main free ones at home and don't want to bother with subscription tv when away.
Only want BBC ITV C4 and News.
What is the best setup, what do I need to get and what will be the range before I lose UK channels.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
50cm (minimum) dish and a Freesat/free to air digi-box.
Getting further down, onto the Spanish med coast could mean a 1 meter dish or larger.
People have varying success getting channels half way down France.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have an 85cm Oyster dish received sky as far down as Cabo de Gata,Spain and as far north as Tønder, Denmark after that used digital aerial.(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you draw a line between Bordeaux and Lyon, that is about the southern boundary for a 85cm dish to pickup BBC, ITV etc.

However, I've picked up these stations within about 100 miles of the French Riviera using 85cm dish by fine-tuning the skew angle of the LNB (ie. the receiver unit on the end of the arm). Some sat systems have an auto-skew facility.

Weather conditions such as thick cloud can significantly reduce signal quality in the fringe area of the satellite footprint.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Riviera using 85cm dish by fine-tuning the skew angle of the LNB (ie. the receiver unit on the end of the arm). Some sat systems have an auto-skew facility
Yes ours has Autoskew we don't get BBC and ITV much further down

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
So I need
1/ a dish, auto or manual?
2/ a decoder for the sat signal
3/ a tv with inbuilt tuner

I see there are basically 2 beams of coverage one is centred on the UK which you can get BBC etc and a European one which reduces to mainly news.
Don't want to get into subscription services as only use freeview at home so would a Freesat decoder box give me BBC to Bordeaux and News channels to the med?
Totally new to this so need some easy guidance.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You can usually get the paramount film channel in Spain just with a freeview TV and aerial and it's in English. There's also some other English channels like Discovery Max, Disney and be mad tv. For BBC news use the app.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back