armychef

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Warminster
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
Me again, Can anyone recommend a decent TV and satellite dish for use in Spain, I'm thinking of buying the Avtex 16" TV - Thanks

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
TV in Spain

Hi Armychef,

Can't help with the gas question as we have Gaslow fitted, but our experience with TV reception might be helpful. We have an automatic 85cm Oyster system fitted, but we could not get a home signal when we pitched up at Cabopino, just North of Marbella. Everyone else on site seemed to have those huge, 1.25m dishes which they set out on the ground. Mind you they were mostly caravanners, and those we spoke to said that unless we had such a dish, forget it. So we relied on the hundreds of films on our hard drive, plugged into our 13" Avtex. Others may have diffent experiences than ours, in which case we may both learn something from other replies!

Cheers, Gary

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As Gary said-unless you have huge dish in Spain it's not good.
Some sites do ,however, have TV sockets on pitch-but the choice of channels can be limited.
Check on campsites web site-it's usually the ones that have a lot of 'longstay' visitors.
Villasol in Benidorm is one and Marjal eco site is another ::bigsmile: Others will know many more.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm thinking of buying the Avtex 16" TV - Thanks

Avtex, iPad.

People fall for the name and pay the price.

But loads on here have good service out of supermarket sub £100 TVs.

You just have to get one with an external power supply that plugs in and the buy a 12V supply to replace it.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
we watched tv on laptop in spain portugal maroc turkey and all in between , local sim or wifi and away you go . :winky: stan oops for got www.filmon .com :thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Me again, Can anyone recommend a decent TV and satellite dish for use in Spain, I'm thinking of buying the Avtex 16" TV - Thanks

Well we live in Spain and have a Mobilsat 80cm Auto dish fitted on the roof and have stayed all over Spain and can receive most of Sky UK channels.
Depends were you are some areas we can get channel 5 or 5* or 5USA, however it can be done. The system also allows us to lock into 19E and 13E both of which have english audio ( which you change in the menu )
How long this will last depends on how soon Sky UK change the transponders onto the new sats, but this could take years.
You can as we did at first buy a freestanding 80cm dish or bigger and set it up outside, but we found that a pain in the ass and since I fitted the auto system have not looked back.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
As Gary said-unless you have huge dish in Spain it's not good.
Some sites do ,however, have TV sockets on pitch-but the choice of channels can be limited.
Check on campsites web site-it's usually the ones that have a lot of 'longstay' visitors.
Villasol in Benidorm is one and Marjal eco site is another ::bigsmile: Others will know many more.

Mike

Mike not true we live 19km from Majal site and only yesterday whilst at my MH doing some maintenance moved MH outside garage and put sat dish ( 80cm ) up and locked onto BBC1,2 ITV sky 1 sky sports etc, granted not 5USA or channel 5 but 95%.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike not true we live 19km from Majal site and only yesterday whilst at my MH doing some maintenance moved MH outside garage and put sat dish ( 80cm ) up and locked onto BBC1,2 ITV sky 1 sky sports etc, granted not 5USA or channel 5 but 95%.

I stand corrected ::bigsmile:Frankly I was going on what I've been told-I don't even bother trying with my Kathrein system in Spain.

Mike

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I stand corrected ::bigsmile:Frankly I was going on what I've been told-I don't even bother trying with my Kathrein system in Spain.

Mike

Mike, the problem is not your system, but those who use a stand on the ground system. They have problems finding the Sky UK sat on 28.2E and then say cannot be done on a 80cm dish. Firstly your auto system will lock into the sat in seconds, however depending on line of site, weather and were you are in Spain depends on what you will decode. I live near Alicante and get 95% channels, however if we go up to Barcelona then it's 75% and down towards Portugal 85% sometimes 95%. The receiver I use is called a VU Solo2 ( google it ) price is high, but the tuners is the best on the market right now. This allows me to receive ALL SKy UK regions including Ireland so I get Setanta Sports when available.

If you don't try it you will never know.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike, the problem is not your system, but those who use a stand on the ground system. They have problems finding the Sky UK sat on 28.2E and then say cannot be done on a 80cm dish. Firstly your auto system will lock into the sat in seconds, however depending on line of site, weather and were you are in Spain depends on what you will decode. I live near Alicante and get 95% channels, however if we go up to Barcelona then it's 75% and down towards Portugal 85% sometimes 95%. The receiver I use is called a VU Solo2 ( google it ) price is high, but the tuners is the best on the market right now. This allows me to receive ALL SKy UK regions including Ireland so I get Setanta Sports when available.

If you don't try it you will never know.

Then I will never know ::bigsmile:
Thx for the info but,I would never subscribe to Sky as we would only use about 5% of what we pay for and TV is not an important part of our lives.

I think that 'high' is an understatement with regard to cost of tuner- £374.99 at Amazon leaves me searching for an adjective that I can use on a familly forum ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Then I will never know ::bigsmile:
Thx for the info but,I would never subscribe to Sky as we would only use about 5% of what we pay for and TV is not an important part of our lives.

I think that 'high' is an understatement with regard to cost of tuner- £374.99 at Amazon leaves me searching for an adjective that I can use on a familly forum ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Mike, there are loads tuners on the market at 1/4 of that price, however like a good MH you buy the best you can afford. As for subscribing to Sky UK I don't and never have as waste of money , however cannot go into the details of how I decode the scrambled channels on this forum. If you want the details on how best PM me.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike, there are loads tuners on the market at 1/4 of that price, however like a good MH you buy the best you can afford. As for subscribing to Sky UK I don't and never have as waste of money , however cannot go into the details of how I decode the scrambled channels on this forum. If you want the details on how best PM me.

Thx John-I'll have to take raincheck on that as you seem to be not accepting PM's-I'm away until Mon eve after tonight.
Mike

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thx John-I'll have to take raincheck on that as you seem to be not accepting PM's-I'm away until Mon eve after tonight.
Mike

Mike, just received PM from another member so know it works. Try again after Monday and I will get back to you.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike, just received PM from another member so know it works. Try again after Monday and I will get back to you.

This is the message I get ::bigsmile:

Don Quixote has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Don Quixote from the recipient list and send the message again.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
This is the message I get ::bigsmile:

Don Quixote has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Don Quixote from the recipient list and send the message again.

Mike, how strange as replied to two this morning. I will check setting or reset my account- please try in about 10 minutes. I will contact Jim see whats happening.

Just check setting and this is setup:
From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
Receive Email from Administrators - yes

You can allow other members to send you email messages.
Receive Email from Other Members - yes

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we watched tv on laptop in spain portugal maroc turkey and all in between , local sim or wifi and away you go . :winky: stan oops for got www.filmon .com :thumb:

thats the way to go filmon is the nutz for it
as for tv on sites like marjal all u get if ys lucky is itv2 and its crap but on armerello in benidorm its sat tv straight into ya tv unless u want to carry a massive dish use the net or some sites in spain personally i wouldnt bother with the expense of a dish and decoder the last 1 i had i gave the bloody thing away in portugal :roflmto:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
thats the way to go filmon is the nutz for it
as for tv on sites like marjal all u get if ys lucky is itv2 and its crap but on armerello in benidorm its sat tv straight into ya tv unless u want to carry a massive dish use the net or some sites in spain personally i wouldnt bother with the expense of a dish and decoder the last 1 i had i gave the bloody thing away in portugal :roflmto:

The problem with using the B/band whilst on site is the more using it to watch TV the less it works as most sites cannot handle the bandwidth. Filmon is good, but 90% of the time will freeze if the providers B/Band cannot cope and everyone is using the thing. This I know for fact as in Portugal last year ( Mal and Chris can confirm ) the system locked up if more than 4 people were using filmon at the same time............

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
john if u mean pedro's jesus u couldnt even get a web site to open most times but once they had sorted it and installed new boosters and such it was perfect i also managed to watch it with np on the aires at lagos but with my booster at armerllo and benisol (benidorm) bonterra park (benicassim) and most sites i visited between marjal and portugal was ok yes it can pause when streaming but i never found it that bad

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Hi Don Quixote

I to live in Spain, tried to PM you but it said, you don't want to receive PMs.

Perhaps you would PM me.

Cheers

Bill

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Satellite

Hi

There are some changes taking place to the "satellite beams" in September/October this year. BBC, ITV and C4 will be "moving" onto a new beam, much more tightly focused on the UK. Channel 5 has already been moved, so if you can get Channel 5 where you are now, you should be able to get the other channels too.

If I did not have a satellite system, I would wait for more detailed reception reports after the changes have taken place.

For more details, have a read of www.satandpcguy.com

Russell

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi

There are some changes taking place to the "satellite beams" in September/October this year. BBC, ITV and C4 will be "moving" onto a new beam, much more tightly focused on the UK. Channel 5 has already been moved, so if you can get Channel 5 where you are now, you should be able to get the other channels too.

If I did not have a satellite system, I would wait for more detailed reception reports after the changes have taken place.

For more details, have a read of www.satandpcguy.com

Russell

Russell, if anyone was to wait until the sats are sorted it could take years before they buy a system. When they said Astra 2 would not allow you to receive BBC etc in Spain some of the Ex pat community were ready to move back to the UK, however as many have found they can still receive channels.

Live for today as tomorrow never comes....

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just watch spanish telly its fun . use englisg default . get films etc in english very often .
if you want uk telly stay in uk .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
just watch spanish telly its fun . use englisg default . get films etc in english very often .
if you want uk telly stay in uk .

A bit harsh, but yep Spanish TV is ok (just) the problem is many do not know how to change the audio settings on their system. My wife says what man do you know that reads the user manual.....

The a funsters meet we were at in April this whilst in the UK I showed a fellow member how to do just that and he stated "never know whilst in France/Spain/Germany I could change the audio setting on my receiver" when I returned to our MH wife states "enough said"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if they dont read instructions they will never cope with other things .
i bought a digi telly new for 49 quid in asda works fine abroad and as freeview so its enough.
use a sharks fin arial (omni directional). cant think of its name as used by many truck drivers off we go. who needs satellites,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use one of these Link Removed
only gets the local tv .but it works for me . as used by truckers all over the place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back