Tv reception in France (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I have tried to reprogram our oyster dish to pick up french tv as we are too far south for UK tv now. Our digital display gives me only one other option which is Hotbird. I have selected it and the dish searches and locks on but when I then scan for channels there is nothing. Am I doing something wrong? It does pick up the sky box but says no satellite signal being received. Any help gratefully received or I will be spending the next month in bars watching hubby watch football!! :Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I tried our normal airial last time in France , just the pear shaped normal one and tuned the tv in and got loads of French channels, only did it to see if it would work there but yeah no probs:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Were in Annaba, Algeria at the moment. I can get all the Sky Sports channels, Eurosport, BT Sports, ESPN all in HD, but no BBC or ITV except ITV 2,3 & 4 HD so sadly no WC footy..

So for the footy games, I have just changed it over from 28E to 19E and have been watching on the German channel ZDF HD.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have tried to reprogram our oyster dish to pick up french tv as we are too far south for UK tv now. Our digital display gives me only one other option which is Hotbird. I have selected it and the dish searches and locks on but when I then scan for channels there is nothing. Am I doing something wrong? It does pick up the sky box but says no satellite signal being received. Any help gratefully received or I will be spending the next month in bars watching hubby watch football!! :Doh:
the sky box is looking for the epg broadcast on the other satellite at 28.2 (astra). you need a basic sat decoder not locked to sky to pick up the channels on hotbird. otherwise use a terrestrial aerial or a site hook up post if available

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm using my Avtex aerial that came with the television. I'm currently at Saint Antonin Noble Val which is deep in the Aveyron valley but I'm still managing to tune in to 30+ French channels. The aerial isn't a fixture it just gets plonked onto the roof wedged against the edges of the solar panels.

ps drove through Cordes sur Ciel this morning:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I'm using my Avtex aerial that came with the television. I'm currently at Saint Antonin Noble Val which is deep in the Aveyron valley but I'm still managing to tune in to 30+ French channels. The aerial isn't a fixture it just gets plonked onto the roof wedged against the edges of the solar panels.

ps drove through Cordes sur Ciel this morning:Cool:

Ooh was it as lovely as it sounds in the book? :Smile:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
the sky box is looking for the epg broadcast on the other satellite at 28.2 (astra). you need a basic sat decoder not locked to sky to pick up the channels on hotbird. otherwise use a terrestrial aerial or a site hook up post if available

So does that mean if I had my free view box from home with me and connected it instead of the sky box I would get channels or do I also need an aerial and to bypass the oyster dish. Sorry to sound dim but this is not my forte :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a satellite dish cannot pick up terrestrial tv which you would need an aerial for. many vans come fitted with an aerial already but not all new ones do anymore. look for a mast and amplifier in the wardrobe to see if yours has one

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
a satellite dish cannot pick up terrestrial tv which you would need an aerial for. many vans come fitted with an aerial already but not all new ones do anymore. look for a mast and amplifier in the wardrobe to see if yours has one

That solves it then as we have had a quick search and there is definitely no aerial. Looks like am going to have to let him watch the games in bars while I drink wine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've been about as far South as you can get in France and never had any trouble picking up Freesat.

Mind you I have to position the dish manually using a compass and a lot of persistence.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years

you can watch hotbird channels on your skybox if you know how.

you cant scan the whole satellite though so you need to ask the local french which channels they are using to view the world cup.
next you need to go to lyngsat website and look at the channel list for hotbird . and find your new french channel frequency in the list .
once you have these numbers you point your oyster to hotbird. find "add channels in the services menu and enter the freqency ie 12471 27500 5/6 in the right spaces.
once the list of channels comes up on your tv select one of them and press the yellow button to store, repeat if you want more channels that are in the list.
press select to store them.
now go to "services" and select "other channels" . the channels you added shoould be there. select one to view.
if you have an issue with pin protection screen then turn off skybox and repoint your dish to astra 2 and turn skybox back on and wait for the sky intro screen , once this has appeared swap satellite back to hotbird and try again. if you have any problems and you want help pm me your number and i will talk you through it. let me know if it works for you:thumb:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

you can watch hotbird channels on your skybox if you know how.

you cant scan the whole satellite though so you need to ask the local french which channels they are using to view the world cup.
next you need to go to lyngsat website and look at the channel list for hotbird . and find your new french channel frequency in the list .
once you have these numbers you point your oyster to hotbird. find "add channels in the services menu and enter the freqency ie 12471 27500 5/6 in the right spaces.
once the list of channels comes up on your tv select one of them and press the yellow button to store, repeat if you want more channels that are in the list.
press select to store them.
now go to "services" and select "other channels" . the channels you added shoould be there. select one to view.
if you have an issue with pin protection screen then turn off skybox and repoint your dish to astra 2 and turn skybox back on and wait for the sky intro screen , once this has appeared swap satellite back to hotbird and try again. if you have any problems and you want help pm me your number and i will talk you through it. let me know if it works for you:thumb:

That sounds easy enough!! We are at a bar watching the French game tonight and moving down to St-Jean-de-Luz tomorrow so when we have arrived and set up we will give it a try. I think there is a very good likelihood you'll be receiving a PM from me :ROFLMAO:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I thought that I was safe from footie being well out of range with satdish but hubby got it now on Austrian TV !

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi

I thought that I was safe from footie being well out of range with satdish but hubby got it now on Austrian TV !

The great thing about viewing in another language is that you won't know what they are saying, sometimes a blessing I feel. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back