Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

After some advice we rarely used the TV in our past can but hopefully when the new van arrives a tv will be in a better place.

We mainly stream so a firestick would work well but I would like to show downloaded Netflix, prime or iPlayer content etc on the TV for places when there is no phone signal.
Has anyone come up up a solution to this? I know Netflix have some copyright issues.

we mainly have apple devices and haven’t yetgot the TV so what to buy would be appreciated!
Thanks

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
i beleave the fire stick can mirror an iphone. but some apps won't let the mirroring function work even on the apple tv. you can add thumb drives and sd cards to a fire stick using usb adapters that you then play through the fire stick.
our avtex tv has usb sockets that thumb drives work in so we can put films and stuff on.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks that’s what I thought may be the issue! How to you get stuff recorded into a USB? I will look into that!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I download stuff onto my iPad for when there is no phone signal/WiFi to stream from. I bought an Apple iPad to HDMI converter cable, select HDMI1 on the TV, open Netflix on iPad and press play - Job done!

Jim

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Oh I thought Netflix wouldn’t play through the hdmi cable adapters? That would be the easiest option though!

I think prime works will look into it for netflix too!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mirroring/casting can be a bit iffy with some phones and tv's better to spend a few quid on an HDMI lead to connect to your phone. Hardware connections are always more reliable.

Deleted User
Mirroring/casting can be a bit iffy with some phones and tv's better to spend a few quid on an HDMI lead to connect to your phone. Hardware connections are always more reliable.

I bought an HDMI to micro usb lead and it didn't work, I haven't had a play around yet, maybe something in settings.
I connect my tablet to the tv in this way but the tablet has a different outlet socket, don't know what lt's called but slightly thicker than the micro usb.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hi

After some advice we rarely used the TV in our past can but hopefully when the new van arrives a tv will be in a better place.

We mainly stream so a firestick would work well but I would like to show downloaded Netflix, prime or iPlayer content etc on the TV for places when there is no phone signal.
Has anyone come up up a solution to this? I know Netflix have some copyright issues.

we mainly have apple devices and haven’t yetgot the TV so what to buy would be appreciated!
Thanks
My iPad can show content I've downloaded at home before travelling from Prime & Apple TV
Not sure about Netflix.

If your TV is a Smart TV there are mirroring apps you can download to that. I can add an example I use later

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
It seems a bit hit and miss with the cables version from reviews I have seen.
I haven’t bought the tv yet for the van just wondering whether to go smart or just get a firestick!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have a lead from my phone to hdmi, I download from Prime and Netflix and play on the TV. But it will not play on my new phon so I kept my old Samsung S5 with a large SD card and download at home on WiFi at home. I can also ay catch-up TV from the old phone using the new phone as a hot spot.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This really makes me worry, I either walk cycle or poke my nose into someone's business on a farm etc until dark then sleep, get up and rustle snails and mushrooms at first light etc.
Goodness I must be missing so much

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
We use a hdmi cable to iPhone/iPad cable but the cheap cables aren’t too reliable so we paid the ridiculous amount of £49.99 for a genuine Apple one and it works perfectly every time. No problems with any downloaded stuff off Netflix, now tv BBC iPlayer etc.
We also have a kindle but amazon have removed the connection from kindle so you can’t get a cable to do the same which is annoying.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This really makes me worry, I either walk cycle or poke my nose into someone's business on a farm etc until dark then sleep, get up and rustle snails and mushrooms at first light etc.
Good point in there somewhere 🤔
Getting a TV for our motorhome used to be on the list of needs but we remembered we are using the MH to go on holiday.
To new places that we’d need to be outside for to better appreciate that.
So we binned the idea of getting a TV
We did get a tablet with a larger screen tho.
Just for rainy days of course 😳🤪

Deleted User
You are:Smile:

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We use a hdmi cable to iPhone/iPad cable but the cheap cables aren’t too reliable so we paid the ridiculous amount of £49.99 for a genuine Apple one and it works perfectly every time. No problems with any downloaded stuff off Netflix, now tv BBC iPlayer etc.
We also have a kindle but amazon have removed the connection from kindle so you can’t get a cable to do the same which is annoying.
Thanks for that! That’s what I was thinking but I did also consider getting a kindle fire for downloads so I will avoid that!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Good point in there somewhere 🤔
Getting a TV for our motorhome used to be on the list of needs but we remembered we are using the MH to go on holiday.
To new places that we’d need to be outside for to better appreciate that.
So we binned the idea of getting a TV
We did get a tablet with a larger screen tho.
Just for rainy days of course 😳🤪
That’s why we won’t have an aerial or sat tv as we rarely use it! However in winter on dark wet nights having the option of watching something like we do at home would be great! We have in past van just done what you do and use the iPad just wanted a little upgrade!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks for that! That’s what I was thinking but I did also consider getting a kindle fire for downloads so I will avoid that!
Since generation 5 it does appear that Amazon dropped the hdmi port.
But I’ve a Fire HD 10 gen 7 and that is suitable for watching downloaded content on itself - without mirroring or direct connection to a TV. I use a typical folding cover as a stand and a Bluetooth speaker. That works well enough for a telly fix.
And there are ways of getting mirroring to work. I haven’t had to explore those.
One out of the box way is to link the newer Amazon tablets to a Firestick.
So you could download content to the Amazon tablet ready to later stream to a Firestick in a motorhome. 🤔
Edit: after recent posts explains the TV requirements, maybe a tablet upgrade is needed 😀

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Since generation 5 it does appear that Amazon dropped the hdmi port.
But I’ve a Fire HD 10 gen 7 and that is suitable for watching downloaded content on itself - without mirroring or direct connection to a TV. I use a typical folding cover as a stand and a Bluetooth speaker. That works well enough for a telly fix.
And there are ways of getting mirroring to work. I haven’t had to explore those.
One out of the box way is to link the newer Amazon tablets to a Firestick.
So you could download content to the Amazon tablet ready to later stream to a Firestick in a motorhome. 🤔
Edit: after recent posts explains the TV requirements, maybe a tablet upgrade is needed 😀
That would be a good option if it can be done like that!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We tried getting IPhones iPads to connect to hdmi but it seems only the hugely expensive genuine Apple Ones work and it’s not possible to still view some content - I think it was stuff we had downloaded from Sky through SkyGo

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I think you can download content from a fire stick to an ssd card or usb drive if you use the method I mentioned earlier on in my first reply

Deleted User
USB "C"
Most phones with fast chargers have them now.

Unfortunately mine doesn't:(........but I'll manage with the tablet and when I can be bothered I may get round to mirroring wirelessly, I have the app but unfortunately both the device and the TV have to be connected to the same network which is difficult when I am using the phone to create the network!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back