May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice/help please.

Got two new batteries 116ah each (with 320w solar), batteries 100% full ~13.6v each. When turning on TV (75w power Consumption) the Motorhome Control Panel above the habitation door (AutoTrail Delaware) showing the leisure batteries voltage dropping (bar change from green to orange) to ~11.8v.
What can cause this and how to sort the problem?
Many Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
13.6v is the charger/solar voltage, not the true battery voltage. That needs checking at night when there's no solar energy and off hookup. It should be around 12.7v
Maybe a faulty panel or needs a reset.
The TV is drawing over 6amps which sounds excessive to me.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Is the TV powered from the 12 v or 240v via an inverter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13.6v is the charger/solar voltage, not the true battery voltage. That needs checking at night when there's no solar energy and off hookup. It should be around 12.7v
Maybe a faulty panel or needs a reset.
The TV is drawing over 6amps which sounds excessive to me.
Thanks. I checked the batteries individually with multi tester when un connected to the van.
What do you mean by faulty panel and need a reset of what?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Must be a big TV to draw o er 6 amps my 22" takes 2.5 amps.
As John says the 13.6v is the charge voltage but to drop below 12v with a 6 amp load would indicate your batteries are knackered.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As John says the 13.6v is the charge voltage but to drop below 12v with a 6 amp load would indicate your batteries are knackered.
2 x new 116ah batteries Lenny.
Faulty display panel or needs a reset.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks. I checked the batteries individually with multi tester when un connected to the van.
What do you mean by faulty panel and need a reset of what?
The control panel above the door.
It possibly includes the charger module among other things.

Try disconnecting hookup, solar AND batteries then reconnect batteries first then solar.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
2 x new 116ah batteries Lenny.
Faulty display panel or needs a reset.
Or not fully charged, phehaos the panel needs reseting for the new batteries if a different size to the ones replaced.
I would only expect that to affect the percentage not the voltage.
Needs to check the voltage with a multimeter.
It wouldn't be the first time new batteries are faulty.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Two brand New batterie, 32” traveler (for caravan, Motorhome, boat), tv operation power 75W.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Or not fully charged, phehaos the panel needs reseting for the new batteries if a different size to the ones replaced.
I would only expect that to affect the percentage not the voltage.
Needs to check the voltage with a multimeter.
It wouldn't be the first time new batteries are faulty.
The new batteries are same as the replacements.
now the two new batteries back to the supplier to do a full test (full charge, Discharge & full recharge) to check the real capacity.
hope that will help to sort the problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The new batteries are same as the replacements.
now the two new batteries back to the supplier to do a full test (full charge, Discharge & full recharge) to check the real capacity.
hope that will help to sort the problem.
You have a supplier who knows how to test a leisure battery, I'm impressed.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Don't know what system you have but on my Auto-Trail I have the EC480 control panel and the battery AH is programmed with in the menus. The other thing you can try is to re-boot the panel, disconnect the panel wait a few seconds and connect it back up.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't know what system you have but on my Auto-Trail I have the EC480 control panel and the battery AH is programmed with in the menus. The other thing you can try is to re-boot the panel, disconnect the panel wait a few seconds and connect it back up.
Thank You. I too have the EC480, can you please tell me how to disconnect the panel And to reconnect?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank You. I too have the EC480, can you please tell me how to disconnect the panel And to reconnect?
Easy way, off hookup, would be disconnect your leisure battery unless you have solar power. If so that also needs isolating.
When reconnecting solar connect solar controller to battery first, then the panel
The solar controller needs to know what voltage you have.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
To remove the EC480 gently prise the outside grey plastic bezel off, undo the 2 screws and pull it out of the aperture, you can then unplug it. I have put the EC480 Sargent guide for when you have a replacement in resources. The calibration side of things may be different for you as this is for my EC500PSU.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To remove the EC480 gently prise the outside grey plastic bezel off, undo the 2 screws and pull it out of the aperture, you can then unplug it. I have put the EC480 Sargent guide for when you have a replacement in resources. The calibration side of things may be different for you as this is for my EC500PSU.
Thank You.
Found the resource but when pressing to download (on iPhone/iPad) can’t find the EC480 Sargent guide.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Batteries checked & fully charged - Very Good, EC480 has been Calibrated.
When turned the TV on the batteries Voltage was still about 12.2v but the batteries Amps was showing discharge (yellow) 3.3A - is that too high to be able to continue watching TV and for how long (how much AH?)?
Thanks

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Mine is similar, because the socket off the leisure batteries is the same circuit as the tv so the voltage drop down the undersized wiring is too much to run the Humax as well. I use the inverter if we want both, works fine for about 4 nights off 3 90ah vartas.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Mine is similar, because the socket off the leisure batteries is the same circuit as the tv so the voltage drop down the undersized wiring is too much to run the Humax as well. I use the inverter if we want both, works fine for about 4 nights off 3 90ah vartas.
Thanks. I don’t understand what you mean by “the socket off the leisure batteries is the same circuit as the tv so the voltage drop down the undersized wiring”
I am using Amazon Fire Stick which can be power by the USB socket on the TV or use extension 12v & USB sockets. Have 2 x 116ah batteries.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Thanks. I don’t understand what you mean by “the socket off the leisure batteries is the same circuit as the tv so the voltage drop down the undersized wiring”
I am using Amazon Fire Stick which can be power by the USB socket on the TV or use extension 12v & USB sockets. Have 2 x 116ah batteries.
Hymer put all the habitation12v outlets on one circuit, my tv is connected to this and because the wire used cannot deliver 12.5v to every outlet if one is in use I had a problem with the recorder which needs a constant 12.5v or it switches off and when the voltage recovers switches back on. This doesn't happen if the inverter is used, consuming only a little more from the batteries.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hymer put all the habitation12v outlets on one circuit, my tv is connected to this and because the wire used cannot deliver 12.5v to every outlet if one is in use I had a problem with the recorder which needs a constant 12.5v or it switches off and when the voltage recovers switches back on. This doesn't happen if the inverter is used, consuming only a little more from the batteries.
Thank You, I see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back