Tv in rear area (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Anyone fitted a Tv to the bedroom area of a newish Rapido 9 series . If so what size did you use and how did you secure to the wall?
Many thanks
Wp

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm glad you clarified what you meant. The title of the thread caused some very odd images to come mind. I've only used the wooden spoon and advent calendar method but I guess a TV camera would be a possible improvement. :)

Providing it wasn't too large a calibre. ;)

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
19" TV with DVD and sat decoder built in. Would use bigger if space was available.
Used Domestic type adjustable arm TV wall mount on wardrobe. The four bolts (5mm, from memory) go through the wardrobe panel and through a piece (approx 8 X 8 ") of 9mm plywood, which was glued (Sikaflex) to inside of wardrobe wall, to give support and spread the load.
I also Screwed 2 discrete curtain eyes (like the ones that screw into the ends of the flexible spring wire used for net curtains) into the wardrobe and ply, behind the TV (hidden just out of sight by the tv) at top and bottom for a bungi elastic cord over the tv during travel. Aerial Amplifier, 12V power etc. fitted inside the wardrobe.

If I have to remove the tv/bracket, I'll glue brown screw cap covers over the holes. Some of these are already used in the MH, so I expect they won't look too bad.
I kept the holes as small as possible and the locations of the holes symmetrical, (4 for the bolts one on the left and one on the right for power and aerial cables) so if the tv is removed the screw caps will not look odd.
Just how I did it........ no doubt others will have other/better suggestions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Any weight on a motorhome wall needs ply behind to spread the load but I can't see it needs to be glued which makes it harder to remove anytime
Always drill a pilot hole with 2mm drill then drill from each side as some hollow boards are difficult to stop break out

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’ve fitted one to a steel tube fitted to the ceiling and floor support timbers on the wall between bedroom and shower. I could not fit ply to the rear of this wall as it would have been in the shower. I’ll post photos as difficult to describe. It is an 890.

joeo's

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
The point of glue-ing the ply to the inside of the wardrobe wall is to avoid screw fixing.
If it is not fixed, any support provided by the plywood, below line of rotation, (caused by the weight of the TV) is of no value because it simply opens away from the wall under tensile forces. The top of the supporting ply tends to push against the wall under compressive forces. This could cause distortion of the thin wardrobe wall, which is precisely what we are trying to avoid.

There is no intention to remove the supporting plywood inside the wardrobe, regardless of whether a tv is mounted or not.
To avoid splinter damage to the finished ply on the outside, I use a centre punch and counter-sink bit to cleanly cut the outer, 'polished' layers of ply before drilling. At the back, I just use a block of timber held tightly against the ply to reduce blow-through splintering.

The pole from floor to ceiling seem like a great idea, where a mounting surface is not easily available. Brilliant! Love it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I fixed a tv in an earlier van, I was lucky that there was a mirror fitted where I wanted the TV. The mirror was just replaced when I sold the MH thus covering the mounting holes. Again apiece of ply was used on the other side of the 'wall' which was inside the wardrobe.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I’ve fitted one to a steel tube fitted to the ceiling and floor ..............
OK, I'll rise to the bait and drag the topic down into the gutter!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Did you get the inspiration for this from a stage act in a club?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

The pole from floor to ceiling seem like a great idea ......... Brilliant! Love it.
Go on tell the truth, you were thinking the same!:p:p:p

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
:roflmto:
87C6E57C-52C4-415E-8984-DFEF5C3A3111.jpeg
7EDAA64A-655A-47DB-8778-E16E0BC010C0.jpeg
9AD633AB-AB59-4542-B6BC-A8F6E9EC7FC1.jpeg
17E4B50A-B05D-4687-8BF5-0CFFB4106F1E.jpeg
7B39EDE1-B5FF-4761-8330-B587FA37960E.jpeg
E7FD04CC-F823-4F11-B358-0239A092F79B.jpeg
BFF7E054-D254-4749-9501-3C61228CE734.jpeg
For @wp1234 : This is my installation. The first picture shows the pole. It is a 20mm chromed tube from B&Q. I think it was designed as a curtain pole.
Picture 2. It is fitted top and bottom by matching fittings screwed into the timber frame of the wall backing in to the shower. You cannot see it in the picture but there is a small piece of cork top and bottom so the tube can be a tight fit so reducing it tendency to turn.
Picture 3. The TV support bracket is fitted to the tube using 20mm plastic conduit brackets (Wickes).
Picture 4. The TV support bracket is a tapered removable bracket (B&Q)
Picture 5. The other part of the bracket fits to the mounting holes on the rear of the TV. The TV is stored in the under-bed storage when not in use. It simply lifts on and off the bracket. I do not know if the installation would be man enough to leave it permanently in place whilst travelling and do not risk it.
Picture 6. The HDMI cable is routed along the sliding door frame in hinged plastic wood coloured self adhesive conduit.
Picture 7. The cable also goes through the inside of the toilet room and through the wall to the Skybox which is mounted above the other TV, above the fridge. As Skybox only has one HDMI output I have an active HDMI Splitter.

If the TV was 12V I would also take the 12V supply through the same conduit, but it is a 240V 21” set and plugs into a socket adjacent to the wall where the pole is mounted. When we don’t have EHU and want to watch TV we use a 150W PSW inverter for the Skybox and this would’ve big enough for the bedroom TV too, but we don’t bother!

For @Gellyneck : for the purpose you have in mind, I do not recommend this arrangement as the pole is too close to the wall which would prevent the full 360 degree movement that is needed to get sufficient speed for the horizontal rotations. A scaffold pole might work, but you would need to sand it down well.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
@wp1234 the other ideas I had that might work for you were:
1. Fold an aluminium or steel sheet over the top of the sliding door (between bedroom and shower/toilet. Fix the same bracket I used on the pole to the sheet and hang TV on it. Run HDMI cable through toilet wall to a socket mounted on the timber that holds the door sliding mechanism
2. If you have an island bed, make a plywood flap fixed to the top of the foot end of the bed with piano hinge. Fix TV bracket to the flap (upside down when facing away from the bed) . In this position it may be OK to leave/store the TV when in motion. When folded up, facing the bed, fix a support to the back of the flap to support off the floor. Maybe use an extending monopod?

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I have a 24 inch with built in free view and DVD player attached to the wall using a bolted swing arm bracket. I drilled through to the inside of the cupboard and used a 2mm mild steel plate on the inside to spread the load, it is rock solid. I used similar, smaller plates to reinforce the pivot tables behind the front seats as they never sat solidly since we bought the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back