gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
hello can someone help me what do I need to do /buy to get I tv picture in france I have a status 530 Ariel on motorhome which gives excellent picture in uk but cant get one at all in france ?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
The hardware you have should work ok to pick up local TV stations - have you retuned your TV?

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
The hardware you have should work ok to pick up local TV stations - have you retuned your TV?
hello yes we tried retuning but still nothing my signal finder says we have a good signal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Assuming that it is actually a digital tv, you may need to set your re-tuning options to "France" if that is part of your tuning menu.

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Assuming that it is actually a digital tv, you may need to set your re-tuning options to "France" if that is part of your tuning menu.
I will try that to see if that works if that fails any other ideas ?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours picked up local stations OK but, being in French, we didn't find it helped much. Also travelling from place to place in UK would occasionally benefit from retuning the TV for local recption.

Wyn

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you wont get any UK TV with that ariel anywhere other than in UK. you should be able to tune to local TV stations.

if you want UK TV it will be via internet or Satellite dish.

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
you wont get any UK TV with that ariel anywhere other than in UK. you should be able to tune to local TV stations.

if you want UK TV it will be via internet or Satellite dish.

ok thank you whats my cheapest option ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ok thank you whats my cheapest option ?

a stand alone tripod and sat dish, plus your sky box from home ( assuming 1. you have one! 2. you are on Elec hook up, but 12 v boxes are available )

the further south you go the bigger the dish you will need.

so something like this is prob the cheapest option, Broken Link Removed

but the larger dish would be better if you have space to carry it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; there are many many more options available dependant on what you want, how far south you are going and HOW MUCH CASH you are willing to part with.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
watching english language tv abroad recently got far more difficult when the satellites used to broadcast it were changed. now it has become difficult anywhere from mid france southwards. a dish and tripod with a sky box is still a good option, but the further south you go the bigger the dish needed to pull in what is basically a weaker signal. it is more complicated really but this basic explanation works for most to understand

if you can get internet access there are a few web based options that will allow you to watch the basic soaps etc and a few films. however without a pretty reliable and fast connection they are unreliable. plus if youre on a campsite using their broadband then you are sharing bandwidth with other campers trying to do the same. get 2 or 3 people streaming tv over the same connection and it crawls to a halt

it really is a no 1 answer suits all situation, as it depends on where you want to pick up tv and what you want to watch. its certainly not worth buying a satellite dome for the roof of a van if you want to pick up uk tv in southern france, spain or other similar places

the cheapest way is to get hold of a decent sized dish and tripod and use a sky box and card (you dont need a contract as freesat cards can be used)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Something like this will get you UK TV stations as far south as central France - possibly a bit further south than that, and east into the start of Germany. Additionally, you will need either a TV with a built-in satellite decoder (such as an Avtex for about £300 or a bit less) or a separate decoder box (£75 - £150 ish) to work with your existing TV. I assume your present TV does not have a satellite decoder built in - if it does, your part way there.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Can I suggest that for your trip download at home series’s that you want to watch.
We recently downloaded the first two series of ‘killing Eve" and the last two series of “Peaky Blinders", we watched to episode each night.
We also downloaded , rather than streamed, other stuff from the I Player.
Worked very well, we use an I pad Pro , with the lager screen set on a table between us.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I’m in France now and can’t get a signal, however enjoying the break from it and I’ve read a book and a half already
If you want a signal what setup do you have? Satellite, unlimited data and a Firestick or smart TV, roof aerial for local french telly?

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
if we pause for a bit and wonder what it is that 'getting away' means, then I think that getting away could include the usual stuff that we might watch on telly at given times on certain days.

I think that our TV-stations and providers give us many options to record or watch-after-the-fact our favourite things online or through the 'box' - which isn't the TV anymore but the titchy thing you're told not to switch off.

I remember my Mum was determined not to miss 'Dallas' and gave her friend a VHS cassette to tape the episode that was on one of the nights of our holidays in Donegal, where we couldn't receive BBC - or much of any TV for that matter, except two channels from Raidio Telefis Eireann (RTE) in the bar.

They showed Dallas too and competed with the BBC to put the episodes out first but it was a different day and we didn't know when, and we were on holiday so missed it!

She went to her friend's to collect it the day after we got back and it was a treat for us to watch it with her (less so for her to try to explain to us why Sue-Ellen drank so much) the night before the next episode.

We then used the tape to record the episodes for her to watch afterwards because we realised she couldn't concentrate properly at that moment because my baby-sister was a serious distraction with bath and bed.

Having seen the permanently on big screens in some Spanish campsites, pumping out quiz shows, news comment or gossip programmes - sometimes with no one present to watch (but plenty of pot plants and fencing) I wonder what some people thing what disconnection is!

I think in the future there won't be terrestrial TV that we want a signal for, but only online connections to whatever channel you can access for the money they ask!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m in France now and can’t get a signal, however enjoying the break from it and I’ve read a book and a half already
You should be able to get all the French channels and if an English/American film or series is on you can turn of the dubbing in the sound settings so you then get the original English soundtrack.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This thread originated on April 6th 2014....has anyone noticed any change in their life, the world in general and more importantly, how do we get TV whilst in France......:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back