Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
We have just sold our panel van and bought our new Sigma EL (known as Ruby as it's our 40th wedding anniversary present to each other) (the ruby ring will follow in December ) and need to fit a TV into it before we set off at the end of June. The question is? Can I purchase one from Tesco with a DVD included and fit it to a wall mounted bracket and will it be robust enough for off road i.e. tracks to CLs etc. Don't require a 12 /230 system as not too bothered if the CL is without electricity so a standard home 15" set will do. Also have a Roadpro sat TV dish which I use abroad Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Can't wait to get going again:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
an inverter will cane the battery so a 12V option is a better bet. You will also need a DC/DC converter to assure a 12V supply and protect the set.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I use a UMC tv/dvd from Makro, £135 inc vat. It is 12v via the supplied power supply. I use it with a 75watt inverter that plugs direct into a 12v socket. I have checked the current draw and it is less than 2.5 amp when using the DVD and under 2amps for the tv alone.
I looked a the amphor voltage stabiliser but as that is rated at 85% efficient a mini inverter seems to be a more effecient option.
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use a UMC tv/dvd from Makro, £135 inc vat. It is 12v via the supplied power supply. I use it with a 75watt inverter that plugs direct into a 12v socket. I have checked the current draw and it is less than 2.5 amp when using the DVD and under 2amps for the tv alone.
I looked a the amphor voltage stabiliser but as that is rated at 85% efficient a mini inverter seems to be a more effecient option.
Andy

a lot more efficient than converting 12v to 230v through the inverter then converting it back to 12v through the supplied 'in lead' transformer to the TV:Doh:

you've got the loss in the inverter AND the loss in the power transformer.

inverters arent usually much better than 90% efficient and the transformers probably no better so you have a 10% loss in the inverter and 10% of the remaining 90% inverter power lost in the transformer.
i make that a 19% inefficiency overall.

you may be better with the amporor stabilizer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Geoff,

DONT rely on the external wall panels to take the weight of the TV and bracket, they arent strong enough.:whatthe:

i mounted mine on the wardrobe wall, bolted right through, so i could put a spreader plate on the inside.....solid as a rock.:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I make that a 19% inefficiency overall

Will i really notice 4% of 2.5amps .

Mini inverter £7.50 delivered, Amphor Controler arround £40. No contest in my mind.

It would be interesting to run the same TV both ways and check the current draw. I will check the current tommorow with the TV connected direct to the 12v and then with240v adaptor and see what the difference is.

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I make that a 19% inefficiency overall

Will i really notice 4% of 2.5amps .

Mini inverter £7.50 delivered, Amphor Controler arround £40. No contest in my mind.

It would be interesting to run the same TV both ways and check the current draw. I will check the current tommorow with the TV connected direct to the 12v and then with240v adaptor and see what the difference is.

Andy

:thumb:

just an opinion andy, but would be interested to know.

i run the same TV in the van i think (got that many different ones around the house i lose track) and have an amporer stabilizer.

S

stagman

Deleted User
We have just sold our panel van and bought our new Sigma EL (known as Ruby as it's our 40th wedding anniversary present to each other) (the ruby ring will follow in December ) and need to fit a TV into it before we set off at the end of June. The question is? Can I purchase one from Tesco with a DVD included and fit it to a wall mounted bracket and will it be robust enough for off road i.e. tracks to CLs etc. Don't require a 12 /230 system as not too bothered if the CL is without electricity so a standard home 15" set will do. Also have a Roadpro sat TV dish which I use abroad Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Can't wait to get going again:thumb:

You can get a Akura 15" with dvd and freeview for around a £100 if lucky and they are 12v and draw only around 25 watts search ebay etc .Got mine for £90 delivered.:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Re my earlier post. I have just done some checks and with the TV connected direct to the 12v supply I am drawing 2 Amps and via the power supply and inverter 2.7amps.
It would be interesting to see the current draw from a Amphor voltage stabiliser.

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings

Hi Geoff

If the TV you have in mind i this one Link Removed I bought one recently. I bought it to replace an aging 10" CRT, it was easier to do this than add a freeview box and diddlely Dee player. FWIW this model is actually 12v DC via standard DC socket (12v 5A 60W). 230v use is via the type of brick PSU used for a laptop. IMHO its a cracking little set with a great picture on all sources, and is fully featured.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi Geoff

If the TV you have in mind i this one Link Removed I bought one recently. I bought it to replace an aging 10" CRT, it was easier to do this than add a freeview box and diddlely Dee player. FWIW this model is actually 12v DC via standard DC socket (12v 5A 60W). 230v use is via the type of brick PSU used for a laptop. IMHO its a cracking little set with a great picture on all sources, and is fully featured.

That's a lot of amps being drawn . Make sure your batteries and lead is up to the job :thumb:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
That's a lot of amps being drawn . Make sure your batteries and lead is up to the job :thumb:

Yes LCD's are not all they are cracked up to be in terms of energy saving. Mind you the 10" CRT it replaced was 43w so add a FV box and DVD would probably been around 100w anyway, and Andyman mentioned a combined figure of 4.5 amps with his kit. My battery should be good for 17 hours continous running without charging with this figure however the figure I quoted was off the box and the psu states 12v at 5A = 60W I suspect the actual figure will be lower because the manufacturer will almost certainly have built in some head room for safety reasons.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Yes LCD's are not all they are cracked up to be in terms of energy saving. Mind you the 10" CRT it replaced was 43w so add a FV box and DVD would probably been around 100w anyway, and Andyman mentioned a combined figure of 4.5 amps with his kit. My battery should be good for 17 hours continous running without charging with this figure however the figure I quoted was off the box and the psu states 12v at 5A = 60W I suspect the actual figure will be lower because the manufacturer will almost certainly have built in some head room for safety reasons.

15" LCD TV on Ebay .Akura 25 watts item no 320382806527 already got one from this dealer works a treat .:thumb:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
FWIW and FYI I entered a region free remote code and my Technica 15" FV/DVD LCD TV from tescos is now DVD region free. It is great news for me as I have several australian and American dvds I can now enjoy whilst away.

For anyone else with the same set heres what you do, turn on dvd with remote (source button) > at dvd screen, press 9635 > turn off dvd using remote again. Should now be region free.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just to clear things up. The 2 figures I quoted are seperate methods of powering the TV. 1 direct to the battery and the other via an inverter and the TV power supply. Direct it was using 2 amps and via inverter 2.7 amps. You do not need to add the two together. It was just to confirm what pappajohn said that the inverter and power supply would use some power and his guess of 19% was about right.

Andy

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Thanks for all the advice Some a bit too technical for one with no technical brain cells. Thanks to The Wild Ones for pointing me to the 15" set from Tesco. Ticks all my boxes so have purchased one today and it works fine in the van so here hoping!!:thumb:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Thanks for all the advice Some a bit too technical for one with no technical brain cells. Thanks to The Wild Ones for pointing me to the 15" set from Tesco. Ticks all my boxes so have purchased one today and it works fine in the van so here hoping!!:thumb:

Glad to be of some help, its a minefield out there isnt it:thumb:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No

I have one of those from Tesco, a Teknica but without the DVD option. How are you connecting it to the 12v 'van supply? I have only used mine with the 230v connector as yet.

Harvey

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
I have one of those from Tesco, a Teknica but without the DVD option. How are you connecting it to the 12v 'van supply? I have only used mine with the 230v connector as yet.

Harvey

Easiest way I can think of is to buy a proprietary 12v cigar lighter plug to 12v DC plug. Chop off the cigar lighter plug and replace with the 12v plug compatible with your MH as they do vary, for example mine uses the european style `Hella' plug.

This should avoid you having to make solder connections, if you are au fait here mind you then you could make your own. Either way you will need a multimeter in order to deduce polarity, The standard (including The Technica TV) is centre pole of plug (inner conductor) positive, and outer conductor (negative).

A further word of warning there are several sizes of DC socket, I think it was the 5mm one I used, but best to take the mains adapter to your nearest maplins and match it up to be on the safe side. The cable used must be able to carry at least 5 amps, an it would be prudent to fit an inline fuse (antisurge) 5 amps.

All the best

Last edited:

MickR

Free Member
Mar 30, 2009
Sutton on Sea Lincs
Funster No
MH
A.Class
Exp
12years
T.V. For Motorhome

We bought a 15inch. combi from M&S with a 5year Guarentee, bought mounting bracket from Tesco. When traveling we wrap the T.V. in a bath Towel and mount again when we arrive on site.

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
TV

We bought a 15inch. combi from M&S with a 5year Guarentee, bought mounting bracket from Tesco. When traveling we wrap the T.V. in a bath Towel and mount again when we arrive on site.

Thanks Mick, thats what I plan to do to ensure I don't damage it on route. As for 12v connection I am going to Chedar to see a friend on Thu/Fri and he is an electronice engineer so I'm sure he will sort it out. Report later!!:Eeek:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Easiest way I can think of is to buy a proprietary 12v cigar lighter plug to 12v DC plug. Chop off the cigar lighter plug and replace with the 12v plug compatible with your MH as they do vary, for example mine uses the european style `Hella' plug.

This should avoid you having to make solder connections, if you are au fait here mind you then you could make your own. Either way you will need a multimeter in order to deduce polarity, The standard (including The Technica TV) is centre pole of plug (inner conductor) positive, and outer conductor (negative).

A further word of warning there are several sizes of DC socket, I think it was the 5mm one I used, but best to take the mains adapter to your nearest maplins and match it up to be on the safe side. The cable used must be able to carry at least 5 amps, an it would be prudent to fit an inline fuse (antisurge) 5 amps.

All the best

Thanks, H&E,

I have considered getting a regulated supply but they seem to come at about 40 to 50 quid! A friend ahs on of these Teknicas and just uses a 12v unregulated lead without problems. I wouldn't have a problem making one if I could source the parts. My MH has standard 'cigar lighter' 12v sockets so that's ok I have been unable to measure the inside pin size of my socket but the outside is 5 or 5.5. I have looked at Maplins' website but I can't see anything which would suit or would be modifyable. All their fag lighter leads seem to be for running much lighter load things or don't actually have a 12v output. Can I actually buy a DC plug, on it's own and wire it?

My friend cut the cable from his Teknica supplied power pack and fitted a fag lighter plug to it so using the original supplied DC plug. Well I ain't doing that, any warranty issues and I'll be down the pan!

Anyway, off for a few days in the sun and I'll look into it more on return: any further tips I'll pick up then:Smile:

Thanks,

Harvey

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Thanks Mick, thats what I plan to do to ensure I don't damage it on route. As for 12v connection I am going to Chedar to see a friend on Thu/Fri and he is an electronice engineer so I'm sure he will sort it out. Report later!!:Eeek:
As promised I have now sorted out how to power the TV on 12v. My mate gave me a 2 pin plug with a 2 core cable ( same as that supplied with the tv) to plug into the 12 v socket and to the rear of the TV. I am currently on a CC site and on hook up I can use either 230v (normal 3 pin plug) or 12v (2 pin plug)as the leisure bty is under constant charge. If not on hook up I will use the 12v system for a few hours daily to get the news and odd programme of interest and re charge the leisure bty when driving to next location. So far it works but I dare say the purists out there will tell me I'm doing it all wrong. The only thing to be aware of is to connect the 2 core wire correctly so my mate checked this out for me. I wouldn't know myself so handy having him around :Eeek:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
I haven't spent more than one night in any place and that is exactly what I do with my TV set.
Only I use mine mostly to watch DVDs'.

I made my lead up with bits from Maplins.

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Just back from the South Coast running just 12v and LPG, happy to report that after running the tv for just over 2 hours friday and saturday evening together with lights, water pump etc, didnt appear to dent our 85ah battery.

It was also the first opportunity to hook up the 43w Solar Panel, I bought recently. The regulator indicated 2.5ish on the 3 bar scale when I set it up first thing Saturday morning. By the evening it was fully charged again. I am really encouraged by this because although the combi TV functions well, and is a bargain imho, it is not really designed for the mh market and therefore will not be as energy efficient as those that are. :Smile:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Just what we have found. Goodness know why people need 110,220,330Ah. We've never done more than 3 days without hook up, but always have loads of spare volts.

Its obviously for extended duration. Have too admit I am going to add another battery and solar panel towards this aim, purely because I imagine you would have to drive for several hours or site with ehu to recharge your batteries, which isnt always going to be convenient?

TD5

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Funster No
Hi Geoff

Have to agree, I have been reading this post over the last few days and picked one up on the way to a campsite on Saturday. Worked perfectly using the standard arial on the roof and will be trying to sort out a 12V cable this week.

Many Thanks

Peter (Newbie)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back